Is the fluidamper worth it?

zarrinvz24

Reaction score
The water pump will flow a little more coolant with the smaller SD pulley, also the fan will turn a few more rev's for increased cooling. That's a great thing for those in the southwest driving in the dead of summer.

Reaction score
Billy, did you have to get a shorter belt? I have the pulley, but the belt was too long, and the belt I think it takes is special order. I have it now. Just not around to try it. Also figuring when I get time to put the big Mitsu alternator on it will bring it back tot he stock belt again....

For any of the OBS guys wanting to install a Fluidampr, I highly recommend getting the SD water pump pulley. If you don't, get the belt on is a PITA. The OBS pulley is slightly larger than the SD one.

Billy T.
[email protected]

racerdad2

Reaction score
I replaced my clutch fan with an electric fan years ago. Works really well up here in Mn.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Billy, did you have to get a shorter belt? I have the pulley, but the belt was too long, and the belt I think it takes is special order. I have it now. Just not around to try it. Also figuring when I get time to put the big Mitsu alternator on it will bring it back tot he stock belt again....

I have the Mitsu alternator in my truck. I was able to retain the belt specific to the Mitsu equipped motors. I was going to try the non-Mitsu belt but never got around to it. The belt tensioner was within the marks anyways.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Reaction score
Bringing this back...

Just to be clear, I'm ordering a fluid damper, according to what I've read, I should just use this time/opportunity to go ahead and upgrade to the 6.0 fan, and if that's the route I go, I should also order a SD water pump pulley, and a fluid damper for the SD model years. Is that correct? Also, with everything else stock (accessories), which belt am I supposed to use?

Reaction score
Bringing this back...

Just to be clear, I'm ordering a fluid damper, according to what I've read, I should just use this time/opportunity to go ahead and upgrade to the 6.0 fan, and if that's the route I go, I should also order a SD water pump pulley, and a fluid damper for the SD model years. Is that correct? Also, with everything else stock (accessories), which belt am I supposed to use?

I need this information as well... Ill look around n see what I can find out.

Mr.BigOil

Reaction score
Bringing this back...

Your stock belt should be fine. The pump pulley is only a little smaller then stock, which is a great move, because that Fluid Damper is too close with our OBS pump pulley.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Bringing this back...

If go with the Fluidampr, I highly recommend the SD water pump pulley. The OBS is slightly larger and makes getting the belt on a PITA. If you retain the OBS water pump pulley, you need to remove it and install the belt.

I have the 215A Mitsubishi ambulance alternator which requires a different length belt. I reused the belt with the SD pulley. The tensioner was within the tension marks. I have since done the TSB using the SD dual tensioner.

What I'm running:
- Fluidampr
- 6.0 fan
- SD water pump pulley
- SD dual tensioner
- Belt recommended in TSB for dual tensioner
**** You can omit the spacer that comes with the Fluidampr if you use the 6.0 fan

I would order the Fluidampr for the OBS truck. The dampers are the same but the OBS part # includes the spacer for the fan. I would have the spacer on hand if you decide to run the OBS fan.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

buschpoweredstroker

Reaction score
I have had a fluid damper on my pull truck (that used to be daily driven) for quite some time now. I put it on after the added horsepower wiped out the rubber in the stock balancer and the truck started to eat belts. I Notice my 01 is starting to have a little wiggle in the damper too, and that only has a chip, I will be getting another fluid damper soon. Even if you don't notice a difference in hp or idle smoothness, it's comforting to know the stock one wont come apart. After warming up for a few minutes my idle smooth's out, not sure if it would or wouldn't with the stock damper- 400/400's, gen3, blah blah blah.....

Reaction score
If go with the Fluidampr, I highly recommend the SD water pump pulley. The OBS is slightly larger and makes getting the belt on a PITA. If you retain the OBS water pump pulley, you need to remove it and install the belt.

I have the 215A Mitsubishi ambulance alternator which requires a different length belt. I reused the belt with the SD pulley. The tensioner was within the tension marks. I have since done the TSB using the SD dual tensioner.

What I'm running:
- Fluidampr
- 6.0 fan
- SD water pump pulley
- SD dual tensioner
- Belt recommended in TSB for dual tensioner
**** You can omit the spacer that comes with the Fluidampr if you use the 6.0 fan

I would order the Fluidampr for the OBS truck. The dampers are the same but the OBS part # includes the spacer for the fan. I would have the spacer on hand if you decide to run the OBS fan.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Will the sd dampner work on a obs with the 6.0 fan ?

Reaction score
Your stock belt should be fine. The pump pulley is only a little smaller then stock, which is a great move, because that Fluid Damper is too close with our OBS pump pulley.
Well, got the 6.0 fan, fluid damper, and the sd water pump pulley installed, and my belt is too big, anybody have a part number they use

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk