Is the Super Duty conversion worth it?

SPless

Reaction score
So, for an OBS guy that's wanting to be around the 400-450 hp mark is the conversion to the super duty stuff worth it? Such as the drivers side manifold and uppipes? If I went that route plans would be a 38r, but if it would be just the same to go with a T4 kit and different charger I wouldn't bother. I guess the plus to that is the room to grow if I wanted to go bigger in the future?

Binder man

Reaction score
If you go to the trouble of changing manifolds I personally feel your better off just putting a t-4 kit on it then your turbo options are endless. Run a set of 200/100's and a s366. Would be a slick setup. Let me know if you need any parts or prices!

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
I feel the same way... what are your total plans for the truck. Towing? DD? Steet?

for 400-450hp a set of stage2 and a 38r would be very nice, spool well and give good power. The SD set up u can obtain much cheaper so if thats all u plan to do it may be worth it. If u ever plan on going bigger, do a T4 now.

Binder man

Reaction score
I feel the same way... what are your total plans for the truck. Towing? DD? Steet?

for 400-450hp a set of stage2 and a 38r would be very nice, spool well and give good power. The SD set up u can obtain much cheaper so if thats all u plan to do it may be worth it. If u ever plan on going bigger, do a T4 now.

Honestly by the time you buy a 38R I bet you could do a T4 cheaper. If not it will be within a hundred or two.

SPless

Reaction score
Honestly by the time you buy a 38R I bet you could do a T4 cheaper. If not it will be within a hundred or two.

This is the kind of things I was wondering about. The truck would be just a fun street to with the possible occasional tow or maybe a pass at the strip every now and then

Binder man

Reaction score
I think you'd be much happier with a s366. Plus when the time comes to rebuild it you'll be much happier than you would with the 38R. T4 kits are cheap anymore, I remember when you couldn't touch one for under 2K

SPless

Reaction score
I will definitely keep that in mind. I guess it would do me good just to price everything first to see what I'm looking at before I start thinking about throwing parts at it. I appreciate the help, though. I guess it would have made my choices a lot easier if the 38r was a drop in for us OBS guys though

David N

Reaction score
I went the 38R route on my superduty, and I wish I would have done a T4 and turbo to match my injectors. I like the 38R, I'm just running out of air now. And I WANT MORE! LOL

always-strokin

Reaction score
400hp is a matter of stage II injectors on a stock everything OBS, plus supporting mods of course.

Its not worth it ONE BIT to upgrade to superduty ANYTHING unless its an IC or HPOP. I wouldn't even swap out for a 17* hpop unless yours is weak though...

96F350KID

Reaction score
Ive found out guys tend to do the SD swap because theyre on a budget. If youre looking to preform the best a T4 kit is the only way to go. The S366 lights good and towing is a great turbo. We've done many installs using Irates kit and have them on our own trucks. IMO because the T4 kits are cost effective compared to what you get for the price the 38R is a thing of the past. If that thing were to ever blow up its 1200 just for the cartridge on a 38R where a S366 is 200 bucks! One down side is you have to run e-fuel with a T4 kit so plan on one of those as well. Egts are nothing to worry about with those kits. 38R still likes tobget hot with larger sticks. It just doesnt flow enough air then a 468!

Binder man

Reaction score
Ive found out guys tend to do the SD swap because theyre on a budget. If youre looking to preform the best a T4 kit is the only way to go. The S366 lights good and towing is a great turbo. We've done many installs using Irates kit and have them on our own trucks. IMO because the T4 kits are cost effective compared to what you get for the price the 38R is a thing of the past. If that thing were to ever blow up its 1200 just for the cartridge on a 38R where a S366 is 200 bucks! One down side is you have to run e-fuel with a T4 kit so plan on one of those as well. Egts are nothing to worry about with those kits. 38R still likes tobget hot with larger sticks. It just doesnt flow enough air then a 468!

You wouldn't have to run E-Fuel..AFAIK hypermax still drains at the back..Not that I wouldn't just throw a pump on it, but if someone is dead set on keepy mechanical.

96F350KID

Reaction score
Hypermax mount is T4i you would be very limited to what charger you can use and a modded H2E isnt much better then a 38R.

96F350KID

Reaction score
Look at the lbs per min on a H2E compared to a BW or GT series Garrett T4 their is a reason why not that many people used that turbo outside of the Power Stroke world. Everything we have is T4 and i'm sure the T4 guys can agree that the plethora of options and different combos available to someone using a T4 foot is bar none comparison to a T4i (H2E)

96F350KID

Reaction score
It's not that i don't like the H2E but look who still uses them. Its old school tech. It was great 10 years ago...... turbo technology has come very far since then and using a H2E IMO isn't a bad thing but for less $$ you can get more flow better performing turbos in a T4 foot now then you could when the H2E was first around hence why no one uses them. Just look at the top preforming 7.3s in the nation now. I can't think of one that uses a modded H2E. The main reason it was popular was because that was the only mount kit available at the time!

Binder man

Reaction score
Hypermax mount is T4i you would be very limited to what charger you can use and a modded H2E isnt much better then a 38R.

Yes you are limited on turbos, sledgehammer, BFH, H2E...You can modify the kit for T4 with very little work.

I do wish I would have went T4 the first go round, but I got a good deal on the Sledge.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.