is there metal in your fuel?

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
so how much is too much? i have had several of these 6.4's with metal in the fuel. i recently had one come in, still under warranty, for service. i changed the fuel filters and looked in the top fuel filter housing and low and behold there are little shiny particles of metal in the bottom. i told the customer to take it in to Ford and have it looked at. needless to say, they told him that was normal and not worry about it. so as normal Ford is trying to push him down the road out of warranty...i guess if this is normal i need some fuel additive with metal in it so i can make my fuel system "normal"...how many of you 6.4 owners have metal in your fuel? have you ever checked? i guess it comes down to this...if metal is normal in the fuel on these common rail fuel systems are these injectors designed to run on fuel mixed with metal? if so can anyone show me? i have plenty of examples of what happens when injectors can't take the metal anymore...

uga33

Reaction score
A good dealer. Changed my filters and found metal shavings on the primary and fine metal shavings on the secondary. Truck was running fine. Took them and the truck to the dealer and had the fuel system replaced. Sucks people have to fight to get things fixed.

IBSTROKIN

Reaction score
I think it is more common than people think. I had no signs of metal in my filters but had barely visible metal shaving in the fuel lines to the injectors. Found this while doing head studs. No codes and no signs of a weak HPFP. Like I said I had no signs in the filter. At least none picked up by the naked eye. Kind of scary

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Just had a Maxxforce 7 in, 30k on it and both filter bases were full of metal... these engines are garbage

me2

Reaction score
Mine started smoking. Took it in and it was full of metal.

They pull the pump and check for contaminated fuel before they cover the cost. I was quoted 12 hours of labor and a whole bunch of parts- injectors, rails, pump, lines, etc.

Total cost is supposed to be about $10K.

My pump had no corrosion and Ford footed the entire bill at 99,500 miles.

Its pretty stressful until you find out if its covered or not because they don't know until they pull the HP pump and the bill is on you if they find corrosion.

Latest posts

Members online