Is this turbo bad?

dangerous1

Reaction score
Original turbo, 315k, a little side to side play, none in or out.

uploadfromtaptalk1425340452701.jpg

dangerous1

Reaction score
Is better to replace rather then rebuild?

Would the wheel being like that make a substantial loss of power?

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
What ghohouston said... The wheel needs to be changed. If you have no in-out play and it is not leaking oil, then a rebuild may not be needed though (although it's not a bad idea).

Probably not a substantial drop in power, but maybe some. What kind of boost are you seeing?

You may want to think about checking compression. Anytime a wheel is dusted, the engine may experience the same problem.

dangerous1

Reaction score
Truck lost bottom end power wise, like when pulling hills, it pulls the empty trailer fine (#8500) but put a load on its really working.
Just noticed it over the past few months.

No boost gauge so I'm not really sure, checked the manifolds and up pipes, no leaks there, blow by is very little.

Only mods on the truck is the intake (6637).
gauges and exhaust have been on the list just haven't gotten to it...

Truck is going into the shop Friday to get a once over before I start throwing more money into it.

nossliw

Reaction score
It takes 100$ and maybe 30 minutes to rebuild it...its already out for a wheel...so why not? With 315,000 miles on it(never seen a stock turbo last that long) it would be worthwhile to do. Honestly that wheel is not bad for its time. I have seen dozens worse than that, but yes it should be replaced. To be honest, you will likely notice little to no seat of the pants difference in performace.

dangerous1

Reaction score
It takes 100$ and maybe 30 minutes to rebuild it...its already out for a wheel...so why not? With 315,000 miles on it(never seen a stock turbo last that long) it would be worthwhile to do. Honestly that wheel is not bad for its time. I have seen dozens worse than that, but yes it should be replaced. To be honest, you will likely notice little to no seat of the pants difference in performace.
After I did some googling I realized that, but honestly the truck has been hauling a 46-51' trailer grossing 15-26k since 130k, so I'd like to get it compression checked and gone over before I put anything more into it right now.
Was planning on retiring it to a back up truck at the end of the month, so if theres anything serious going on I'll probably just go ahead and pull it off the road now so I can take my time and go through it.

dangerous1

Reaction score
Got the truck back from the shop, they said turbo isn't bad considering the mileage, but should be rebuilt.
They believe that the boost issue is the exhaust back pressure sensor/tube , they want to replace the coolant temp sensor as well.

Said compression is awesome and overall its one of the nicest 7.3s they have seen in awhile.

Arisley

Reaction score
If compression is awesome, why do they think it needs a rebuild.

Replace the EBP tube, rebuild the turbo and rock on.

dangerous1

Reaction score
Got the EPB sensor and tube replaced(tube was completely clogged) , also the Coolent temp sensor, which after a lot of googling I figured out was actually the engine oil temp sensor.

Took it for a test drive and it definitely idles better, also power is much smoother and in turn seems to shift better. Cant speak for pulling power or MPG yet.

Next up is rebuild the turbo and get the new exhaust on.

dangerous1

Reaction score
Rebuilt the turbo this weekend. Took me almost 6 hours to get it out. Thought I was pretty good with working on this truck, but I dunno, seemed ever bolt was next to impossible to get and my hands to big lol. Could most likely have it out in about an hour now though,

Thinking its been rebuilt before, had a broken bolt on the housing.

When I had the turbo off I saw that the passenger side up pipe was starting to leak so I've got to figure out what I'm going to do with them.

Bought the truck two years ago from the original owner with 130k on it, Its got 350k on it now.

uploadfromtaptalk1434936322694.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1434936350930.jpg

Latest posts

Members online