It happened again...

jkidd_39

Reaction score
There is a guy over on compD that had a Fummins convo he purchased from the previous owner (Guy who bought the BTS Tranny)

It shat the bed and apparently Brian is not going to stand behind it. Check it out on CompD.

I was very surprised to hear anyone have an issue w/ BTS. I'm 150 miles from him so he will build all my transmissions.

jkidd_39

Reaction score
how old is the tranny

I am not sure.. Here is the thread

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112937

Let me be clear that I am not stirring the pot or downing BTS... They are building me 4r100 for my Cummins Convo..

If anything I feel bad for this guy that he local tranny "guru" is gonna build his tranny. I don't know what Brian's decision was or anything.. just that the guy w/ the bad trans is going somewhere else..

As far as I know the age of the tranny doesn't matter to Brian. When I was down in Lead Hill he said that his units have a lifetime warranty and to bring it back after a few year and he will update and freshen the tranny.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
might be lifetime on the original owner, but when you buy a new one from a vendor it says 2yr unconditional warranty after that i don't know for sure? but yes i have heard guys go back to him 8yrs later and he upgraded the tranny

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
wow just read the post on compd... almost doesnt sound like brian.... i couldn't see him just saying sorry bout your luck type of thing!!!.... i was down there at bts a couple months ago and he put a new tq converter in my truck along with a brand new flex plate and didn't even charge me a dime!!! not one penny and for me to go to ford and buy a new flex plate is just a hair over 200$ so i coulndt see that from him!!!!!

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
but if your using a competition only parts, as they stated that tc was, and if it did what they stated it did, not sending the oil to get cooled, they what should he do? it sounded like the guy knew the guy he bought the truck from, and didnt ask any specific questions, and the previous owner didnt say, hey you cannot drive that on the road cuz of this. like he should have done.

what would you want brian to do? its not like he had a "street" bts/bts tc and it broke. he had something that was designed from the get go to be used only on the track, cuz if it drove on the road, it was gonna fail. and it did. there is no way you can realistically expect him to warranty that.

it would be like you just got done building a 700hp truck, put new tires on it, and 2 weeks later needed new tires. its not the tires fault you melted them off, they were designed to not be spun. you spin them, its your baby.

its not brians fault the guy drove it on the street. but he did. its his baby. im sure brian would have given the guy some sort of discount, as at least some of the specialty parts could be reused, but he chose not to go that route.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
but if your using a competition only parts, as they stated that tc was, and if it did what they stated it did, not sending the oil to get cooled, they what should he do? it sounded like the guy knew the guy he bought the truck from, and didnt ask any specific questions, and the previous owner didnt say, hey you cannot drive that on the road cuz of this. like he should have done.

what would you want brian to do? its not like he had a "street" bts/bts tc and it broke. he had something that was designed from the get go to be used only on the track, cuz if it drove on the road, it was gonna fail. and it did. there is no way you can realistically expect him to warranty that.

it would be like you just got done building a 700hp truck, put new tires on it, and 2 weeks later needed new tires. its not the tires fault you melted them off, they were designed to not be spun. you spin them, its your baby.

its not brians fault the guy drove it on the street. but he did. its his baby. im sure brian would have given the guy some sort of discount, as at least some of the specialty parts could be reused, but he chose not to go that route.

Hit the nail on the head :thumbup:

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
the only thing that sux about the deal is it didnt seem like the guy knew they were race only parts. his wording and "key board tone of voice" led me to believe he didnt know. but it seemed like he knew the guy he bought if from. so if he knew the guy, he would have a idea. but it still boils down to he should have said this is what im goin to do with the truck, and should have asked if there is anything i need to know about this truck that would interfere with that.

im still a firm believer is his baby though. it was still his job to know what was in that truck, and make a good decision based on that.

not knowing is not a excuse.

TARM

Reaction score
What it comes down to is this is not an issue between Brian and the trucks current owner. This is an issue between the current owner and the past owner who did not relay this info to the new owner based on the comments here in.

The issue is soley between new and previous owner. It would be reasonable to expect, if a truck had a systems, parts, or other that had specifc restrictions on its use not typically expected with a vehicle like this that if not strictly adhered to would cause catastrophic failure of main driveline parts that are also extremely costly, the previous owner would clearly relay these restriction and reasons for them to the purchaser. Whether or not that happened we only have one parties statement on so who knows. It's generally part of most any sales contract that you must act in good faith to properly represent the item you are selling and fully disclose any KNOWN faults or deficeits etc it may have. You can't sell a person a house knowing that if they turn on the hot water heater for more than an hour it will cause it to explode and have the whole house flooded with out disclosing that information.

The main thing here Brain at BTS did not deviate from his normal level of support and backing of his products in anyway. This was not a normal typical BTS tranny build and had very specific limitation on it use which as apparently fullybunderstood by the past owner but which he neglected, apparently, to pass on the the person he sold the truck to.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
the only thing that sux about the deal is it didnt seem like the guy knew they were race only parts. his wording and "key board tone of voice" led me to believe he didnt know. but it seemed like he knew the guy he bought if from. so if he knew the guy, he would have a idea. but it still boils down to he should have said this is what im goin to do with the truck, and should have asked if there is anything i need to know about this truck that would interfere with that.

im still a firm believer is his baby though. it was still his job to know what was in that truck, and make a good decision based on that.

not knowing is not a excuse.

Im with you on tbis one. Ever hear of 'ignorance of the law'? Just because you didn't know something was against the law doesn't make you exempt from having to adhere to it. Same concept.

Do I feel for the guy, yes. But its his responsibility when buying the donor vehicle to ask these questions. Especially if he knew the vehicle was built as a race only rig.

TARM

Reaction score
Actually its the seller not the purchasers duty to make clear anything that is not reasonably expected.
I am no competition guy but in general I have not heard of trans typicaly set uo where using them for longer street drive would cause them to burn up. I could be completely wrong about this. Its hard to believe a guy would buy a rig like this and not ask something to the effect of: "is there anything special or quirks etc I need to be aware of" now maybe it just completely slipped the sellers mind and I could see that. In the end the whole situation and end results just sucks.

Dieselfever

Reaction score
A road trip with a spragless converter is going to melt the stator for sure because the stator won't be able to free spin when in fluid coupling. Obviously that is what happend here

Did the PsycoStroker truck have the Cummins in it when he bought it?

-Michael

1badpsd

Reaction score
A road trip with a spragless converter is going to melt the stator for sure because the stator won't be able to free spin when in fluid coupling. Obviously that is what happend here

Did the PsycoStroker truck have the Cummins in it when he bought it?

-Michael

I was wondering if that was the old psychostroker.kinda disheartening to see one of the original badass psd with a cummins in it.

Latest posts

Members online