just bought a 2008 f350 powerstroke with a bent rod and probably more damage

mharring

Reaction score
Im new to the forums, no stranger to the heavy industry large bore 2000hp+ v16 and v20 cat , cumnis and MTU heavy diesels. but im very new to the powerstroke area.

basically making a very long story short I bought a 2008 F350 Powerstroke Crew Cab short box FX4 from a crack head who was going to the pokey in a few days bought it as is with an unknown engine problem. further investigating led to a major internal failure number 4 with a bent rod and possibly more as I barred the engine loud grinding sounds came from the left bank. assuming sense the injector was changed by other local crackheads they shoved a new injector in hole but didn't bother to evac the fuel in the cylinder and bent that rod. ive not yet bore scoped the engine and im not going too. yanking the engine and putting a low mileage salvage in there looking like a 80,000 complete turn key engine hopefully

my real question is what can I do that engine to while its out to enshure the engine will run its best for the life of the engine, Im not a hot roddrer or a coal roller I want a good clean running engine safe and reliable. im in process of buying a full race exhaust for the DPF/CAT delete, EGR delete, and cold air intake with some kinda tuner to remove the codes!

my questions are:
1: what kinda full exhaust should I get, whats the best bang for the buck?? Ive got the AFE STAGE 2 clod air intake coming would be nice to keep to all one brand was looking at the ATLAS full race pipe if it doesn't have a muffler ill put one on it seen flo pro stuff but im not sure which to go with!!
2: EGR delete kits are cheap but wich one should I get??
3: what kinda tuner can I get I don't need a full blown race one just one that turns off the codes. and maybe can add a 100hp tune or something. I work with a guy locally that has a H&S mini max I think ill probably trade him the old engine plus maybe 300$ if that falls through I was looking at the Tachyon DPF-r for like 500$ but ive not read much or couldn't even find any real info on them. that kinda scares me especially if im dropping this kinda cash in something that could potentially crater the engine. any ideas or sugestions? oh yeah I live in Wyoming a non emission checked state.

Ive bought this truck for 7,000$ its got 129,000( its a very nice looking truck) ive got the hookup on a low mileage 80,000 mile engine for 3500$ assuming aill have about 2,200$ in the engine swing fluids and other shop stuff. an new windshield 1500+ in performance/fuel mileage stuff so ive got alota room to not be upside down in this truck. assuming ill sell for 22,000$ or I may just keep it im not sure yet!

any input would be nice sense im so new if theres a better place to post this let me know ill post there!

thanks,
matt

mharring

Reaction score
basic pictures of what I got fx4 black leather interior I forgot to mention

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 87
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 101
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 97

78f100

Reaction score
I would tear into that engine to find out the extent of damage. I doubt they bent a rod from not evacuating fuel during a injector swap but the injector malfunction could have bent a rod. If you go with a salvage yard engine you are still gonna be stuck with stock pistons, which is the weak link in these engines. If you can save the block you have, I would do some IH/ hd pistons or some of Morgan's pistons. You can rebuild it and know what you have then. Good luck, and nice find for the price... I love those crackhead deals...lol.

Last edited:

StockCar#10

Reaction score
Honestly pull the valve cover and see if it has a dropped valve. Could be that or possibly a melted piston...Iim betting it had damage before they put an injector in it

mharring

Reaction score
Valve train looked intact. The engine only bared over roughly 12 degrees somethings got it mechanicly locked i dont know what but that grinding sound is not good. I think im just wanting a slight perfomance gain and to yard off the emisions. If the stock engine can hold 400 hp with the all the stuff i want to do to it im good on that. Esspecially if i sell the truck. I wont put any more money into it than i have too. The truck it self is nice i think 20,000$ to sell its not out of the question. Lord know i dont need another nice vehicle collecting dust !!

sootie

Reaction score
it's a long box FYI. also-forget the GearboxR tuner thingys. H&S tuners are where its at.

i second tearing into the motor you have and building it right, once. you could even pull it out and ship it to Morgan @ Midwest Diesel 217-691-1909. he will treat you right and is a 6.4 guru.

carcare

Reaction score
If u do not suck the fuel /oil out of the cylinder while changing an injector, I have always used a vacuum to get anything out. Oil water whatever. We do this on gas engines all the time as well. Fuel, water , oil. None of them compress. Something will bend if u crank that motor I would think

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online