Just doesn't add up

ghohouston

Reaction score
Just a thought, ever compression tested your motor? Everyone who commented has valid points, and are knowledgeable, but dont put it past your motor to have low compression. On the other hand, is your Fuel filter changed often? Checked duty cycle and such on the h.p.o. Side?

Last edited:

ghohouston

Reaction score
Oops, missed that. Adjust the wastegate, keep the turbo in it's greatest effiticiency range and see what happens. From what I have heard, at 43, a 38R is a little out of it's range.

I was talking with Matt (Gearhead) one day, and his advice was adjust to activate at 35 psi. In his words, ”they like to blow alot of hot air after that”

seeyalater5.9

Reaction score
I was talking with Matt (Gearhead) one day, and his advice was adjust to activate at 35 psi. In his words, ”they like to blow alot of hot air after that”

This.

I was always told a 38r is happiest/most efficient at 30-35 psi..nowadays it seems a 38r is nothing more than a super glorified stocker

P.I.S_7.3

Reaction score
Unless I miss heard the dyno operated on that 43psi. He said it was builing boost.

Put it this way. 3 duramaxs with efi live with dpf deletes one with water meth injection 2 dynoed below 400 the other hit 415hp.

jwlandry

Reaction score
The dyno isnt the best for true hp numbers. You could run 4 different dynos and get 4 different power numbers Track times dont lie. If your happy with how it runs with 38r then just enjoy it.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Di u have exhaust leaks? May be irrelevant but I dynoed 406 with bad leaks, hitting 30 psi. Leaks fixed ONLY. And dynoed 458.... Just a thought. Dirty air filter? I had a dirty afe I collapsed and still hit 25 psi.

sent while needing more cowbell

Arisley

Reaction score
Smoke was solid black the whole time

That means not enough air to burn the fuel. You were under the turbo, it lit and just blasted through its efficiency range. It never pushed enough air to burn the fuel. If you could have backed off on the boost a bit, HP would have increased a lot.

Been there, done that. Spooling a turbo on the dyno can be like spooling a turbo in neutral if you don't know what you are doing.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
That means not enough air to burn the fuel. You were under the turbo, it lit and just blasted through its efficiency range. It never pushed enough air to burn the fuel. If you could have backed off on the boost a bit, HP would have increased a lot.

Been there, done that. Spooling a turbo on the dyno can be like spooling a turbo in neutral if you don't know what you are doing.

I agree keep it around 35PSI.

907DAVE

Reaction score
With stock sticks maybe, just dont see it with hybrids. I have never ran one though....

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
When you look at the 38R flow map after 35PSI (at sea level)you are only gaining boost and hot air. Infact it really does not move to much more after 32PSI at sea level. I would say keep it around 35PSI and you should be good.

Arisley

Reaction score
I did a little over 400 with my 225's and a non modded H2E that wouldn't spool worth a ****, maybe get some more tunes built???

I am doing a bit better than that with my unmodded H2E and my hybrids. No clue what size they are, but I do have to pay attention to stay on top of the turbo.

Latest posts

Members online