Just out of curiosity?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Its definitely worth pulling the engine, pulling the pan, and welding in a bung in the the location of the second main cap for an oil drain.

Or you could build a setup that drains to your oil pan drain.... not how I would do it, but its been done that way on other applications for years.

02BigD

Reaction score
Most people do it into the oil pan. You usually pull the pan and put a fitting into it. At least that's where I was going to go with it. Also may call up James barder and talk with him about sizing.

I've got a really nice billet wheel 71/74 from James. Spools faster than my old 66/71 H2e, and does a nice job cleaning up 355/200's. Dunno if it was a test model or if he is running production units of that model. It is a T4i mount.

Reaction score
Its definitely worth pulling the engine, pulling the pan, and welding in a bung in the the location of the second main cap for an oil drain.

What is the common size of the bung that is needed for a oil drain? I might as well go ahead and weld one in before I put my motor back in

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score

Or you could build a setup that drains to your oil pan drain.... not how I would do it, but its been done that way on other applications for years.

I would hate to pull the motor out again. I just dropped the motor in and put everything back together.

What about pulling out one of the freeze plugs in the valley and using that as an oil return? Would there be enough gravity to pull the oil there?

What is the common size of the bung that is needed for a oil drain? I might as well go ahead and weld one in before I put my motor back in

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I believe most guys do 1/4".

neverkickn

Reaction score
What about pulling out one of the freeze plugs in the valley and using that as an oil return? Would there be enough gravity to pull the oil there?

You could do that but you would ens up running lines against gravity which means that you would likely need a scavenge pump.

DocBar

Reaction score
I would hate to pull the motor out again. I just dropped the motor in and put everything back together.

I might be showing my considerable ignorance, but I've never seen a freeze plug for oil. Just saying...

I would wonder if you could build something that would come through the drain plug on the oil pan vs. pulling the motor again. 14 qts would be considerable head pressure, though.

neverkickn

Reaction score
I might be showing my considerable ignorance, but I've never seen a freeze plug for oil. Just saying...

I would wonder if you could build something that would come through the drain plug on the oil pan vs. pulling the motor again. 14 qts would be considerable head pressure, though.

Look harder.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
You could do that but you would ens up running lines against gravity which means that you would likely need a scavenge pump.

That's no good. I just read that WOP used to drain the atmospheric turbo into the valve covers. Sounds easy. No need for a pump that way! Any thoughts?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
That's no good. I just read that WOP used to drain the atmospheric turbo into the valve covers. Sounds easy. No need for a pump that way! Any thoughts?

If the turbo is high enough that is a possible way to dump oil. Most turbo setups that fit under your hood will not place the charger high enough.

Luke's setup was a WOP setup originally I believe. It drained to the pan.

Welcome to custom high performance.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score

The center of the valley of your engine has an freeze plug in the casting that is in the location where the mechanical lift pump is found on the OBS trucks. Pop that out and it makes a perfect oil drain for an aftermarket charger in the valley. Not so good for an atmosphere charger unless its mounted high up in the middle of the engine bay (I have only seen one superduty with compounds in the valley where this would work).

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
The center of the valley of your engine has an freeze plug in the casting that is in the location where the mechanical lift pump is found on the OBS trucks. Pop that out and it makes a perfect oil drain for an aftermarket charger in the valley. Not so good for an atmosphere charger unless its mounted high up in the middle of the engine bay (I have only seen one superduty with compounds in the valley where this would work).

I just want to thank everyone for the help. I couldn't do any of this without you guys!

Second being that I have an OBS and a 1" body lift do you think I could position my turbos like this and use the valve cover as my oil return?
11.jpg

FYI that is Beau's 95.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Any thoughts? Noticed he had to shave the AC blower box to get the atmostphere turbo to fit. Maybe an S styled pipe from the Secondary to Primary turbo would place the atmospheric turbo directly over the valve cover and away from the AC box?

Latest posts

Members online