Just picked up an 06 with 36k, few questions on which way to go.

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2006 f250 with 36k. I dont know much about them, and Ive been looking around reading as much as I can. Please can we keep the " Why drive a diesel for MPG " etc etc comments out. Here are my questions:

1. Im looking to get a few more MPG out of it, and I read that the intake and exhuast can improve MPG. True? Does a 4" over a 5" prove to be better in anyway? Any brands better than another?

2. Im going to go thru and change out all of the fluids, filters etc. Anything else to change?

3. What else should I buy for preventive maintenance? I was thinking coolant filter ? Anything else?

4. Whats better the Livewire electric gauges, or the Edge CTS gauges? Maybe just preference?

5. I wouldnt be too interested in a tuner until I get studs, but a MPG tune would be nice...

6. Lastly, should I delete the EGR ASAP or with it only have 36k miles on it, would it be alright to wait until next year tax time to do the studs and EGR at once?

Anything else that would be pertinent for me to know, Id appreciate it.

01PSD

Reaction score
It's been found that the higher HP tunes actually have the best MPG, you can just specify to your tuner of choice that you're non-studded at the moment. I say the sooner you can delete the EGR the better, keep all that gunk out of the intake manifold. For gauges the CTS is hands down better than the Livewire, plus the Livewire is bulky. Coolant filter is a good choice as well. Dieselsite's setup is the original (I think) and best in my opinion. No real advantages of a 5" over a 4" exhaust other than tone I believe, MBRP is a popular brand.

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
Do a stud, delete and swap oil cooler while there for preventative maintenance, SCT tuned by Gearhead or IDP, exhaust and monitor and enjoy!! Plus the coolant filtration, banjo bolts and blue spring upgrade.

01PSD

Reaction score
The blue spring mod simply raises the fuel pressure from 45ish PSI to 60-65 PSI, the general consensus seems to believe it's a wise investment. So I say do it! You can get the blue spring kit without the regulator housing if you don't want it, saves a little coin.

01PSD

Reaction score
Coolant filter is easy peasy, EGR I wouldn't say is "easy" but yes can be done at home. If you do the full cooler delete and block off at the manifold it can be a pain but it's quite doable. Bluespring isn't bad either

webb06

Reaction score
The blue spring mod simply raises the fuel pressure from 45ish PSI to 60-65 PSI, the general consensus seems to believe it's a wise investment. So I say do it! You can get the blue spring kit without the regulator housing if you don't want it, saves a little coin.

got the part number on this specific kit? tired of buying the kit with the housing and never using it!

also to the OP, SCT makes the Livewire that is touch screen which is pretty neat and is similar to the CTS

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Ive heard people over and over say get the CTS versus the Livewire. Ive never seen them, and Ive also heard that the CTS can monitor more then the Livewire

webb06

Reaction score
ive never had a CTS but im sure you can google each one to see exactly what they will and wont monitor. the only thing with the Livewire is that it is a tuner and monitoring device in one package, plus you can get custom tunes on it as well. versus having the buy the CTS and then having to buy an SCT programmer...

01PSD

Reaction score
I'm not sure how the NEW Livewire TS compares in monitoring to the CTS, I just hear it's way better display and size wise than the older Livewire.

Reaction score
I had the cts and loved it... Matter of fact I'm about to buy another for my 6.4. But definitely check into the livewire ts looks to be a pretty solid choice as well.

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Can I get a USED SCT x3 that was from a mustang? In the manual it says it would work, and it says that it has 5 unlocks left.. whatever that means..

Lassie

Reaction score
got the part number on this specific kit? tired of buying the kit with the housing and never using it!

also to the OP, SCT makes the Livewire that is touch screen which is pretty neat and is similar to the CTS

Blue Spring kit without manifold = 6E7Z-9C165-B