JW Valve body with Canned TS Tunes

03ranger30

Reaction score
Been thinking about getting a John Woods valve body, but I don't know if it would work well with my chip. They are just the generic TS tunes that you get for cheap. It already shifts really hard and I don't want to install the VB and have it shift even harder, and damaging the trans.

So would it work without causing really harsh shifting, or should I wait until I get custom tunes and then get a VB?

Thanks!

DocBar

Reaction score
Been thinking about getting a John Woods valve body, but I don't know if it would work well with my chip. They are just the generic TS tunes that you get for cheap. It already shifts really hard and I don't want to install the VB and have it shift even harder, and damaging the trans.

So would it work without causing really harsh shifting, or should I wait until I get custom tunes and then get a VB?

Thanks!
You should consider getting custom tunes. You can send your chip in to get it reburned and save some $$.

03ranger30

Reaction score
I want to. But I am gonna get a Hydra first and then get custom tunes. I know that's a lot more money than just getting this one reburned, but its convenient when I want to get new ones I can just load them onto the chip and not have to send it off.

DocBar

Reaction score
I want to. But I am gonna get a Hydra first and then get custom tunes. I know that's a lot more money than just getting this one reburned, but its convenient when I want to get new ones I can just load them onto the chip and not have to send it off.
You just answered your OP, then. Hold off on the JW valve body and save up for a Hydra and custom tunes. Then you can see how your truck shifts and go from there. The custom tunes will help in a lot of other areas, also.

I'm ordering a Hydra in the morning, for that very reason!!

DocBar

Reaction score
I would suggest getting custom tunes burned to your current mods and a John Wood Valve Body for the best results. It is a very nice piece and your trans with thank you for doing it and help increasing it's life by minimizing slipping due to weak shifts. We have a batch at John Wood now getting made for us and should have them soon.
http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/john-wood-4r100-valve-body/
I was thinking that, but $$ seems to be an issue here. I would rather spend it on the tunes first and VB later. Canned tunes are hell on an engine and tranny.

03ranger30

Reaction score
I honestly just hate how it shifts with these tunes. It's almost uncomfortable in my opinion. I think that even the standard PHP tunes would be leaps and bounds better.

DocBar

Reaction score
I honestly just hate how it shifts with these tunes. It's almost uncomfortable in my opinion. I think that even the standard PHP tunes would be leaps and bounds better.
Getting better tunes is the better and cheaper option. Just saying.

Latest posts

Members online