King 2.5" shock fitment issues

KingStroker

Reaction score
I got a kit from Carli, with the Pin Top 2.5" kings. The passenger rear body is extremely close to my 5" exhaust, and the passenger is almost touching the frame on level ground.

Can they be installed with the shaft up? I know they will be more susceptible to damage, etc. I will have rock guards. I am just wondering if it will hurt the internals, seals, or the performance of the shocks.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I got a kit from Carli, with the Pin Top 2.5" kings. The passenger rear body is extremely close to my 5" exhaust, and the passenger is almost touching the frame on level ground.

Can they be installed with the shaft up? I know they will be more susceptible to damage, etc. I will have rock guards. I am just wondering if it will hurt the internals, seals, or the performance of the shocks.

i would mod the exhaust. it was close on my icon cdc's as well. i adjusted the hanger to pull the exhaust away.

kmeadows

Reaction score

You can install them upside down. Or dent the exhaust with a hammer if your aren't compounds or huge single your won't need the full 5" flow. I just put on 3" shocks with a finned resi and the guy had dual 4" pain in the ass but made it work uploadfromtaptalk1430195405442.jpg

kmeadows

Reaction score
No idea why they are sideways and there is 2 pics. First time using this tapatalk. FYI I do race support tech and tuning at king among the installs I do on the side

Clean-15

Reaction score
Mine are close to the frame too and the resi will contact sometimes. Carli will recommend that you grind the frame a bit. I told them I thought it would have been nice for them to add that to their instructions. They mentioned that the frame stamping is very different from truck to truck so it's tough for them to tell you whether or not you truck will need it.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

KingStroker

Reaction score
The reservoir on the passenger side is about 3/8" from the exhaust, and the drivers side is about 1/4" from the frame. (I got the picture from the front, which does not show where the frame rail runs in close to the shock.)

Still haven't made contact anywhere, I'll grind the frame when I get a chance.

My main concern is heat from the exhaust being so close the the reservoir and shock body.

Attachments

• IMG_5761.jpg
    IMG_5761.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5760.jpg
    IMG_5760.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5762.jpg
    IMG_5762.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 96

truckman1974

Reaction score
when someone clicks on the photo (or right click and choose "open in new window") it will give them a full view of the photo.

What part of Louisiana are you in? I'm from down near Gonzales/Prairieville...

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
My main concern is heat from the exhaust being so close the the reservoir and shock body.

I wouldn't worry about the heat. If you aren't deleted then maybe worry about heat during regen, but if deleted then your exhaust won't be hot enough there to hurt anything.

KingStroker

Reaction score
You're right White15, spoke to Dan earlier, and he said the seals in the shocks are resistant up to 300 degree heat, so I won't worry about it all.

truckman1974

Reaction score
I am from Houma. I travel through Gonzales all the time going to camp by Jackson/Norwood area.

I used to work in Chalmette for a while at Monsanto (where they make Round Up weed killer). That was a long time ago though, before I joined the Army. So yea, your not far from me.

Latest posts

Members online