L.P. fuel supply - Airdog2 questions

TD-5

Reaction score
I will have my Cab up in the near future & I absolutely hate the factory HFCM pissing fuel all over me as I fight with a filter change. I was thinking this might be the time to upgrade the supply system. Airdogs seem to have had some motor problems, but that appears to be mostly on the high pressure models for the 7.3 & 6.0. I haven't read of many issues with the 6.4 L.P. models?
After looking at the airdog 2 systems I have a couple of questions,
They supply a new wiring harness with relay for the airdog 2. Can't the factory relay controlled power supply be used?
Airdog supplies a 2 micron filter on their unit. The factory secondary filter on the engine is rated 4 microns so it won't be doing much with a 2 micron feeding it. Can the secondary be removed & the canister (bowl) be run empty?
My second thought was run a 10 micron on the airdog2 as a primary & keep the 4 micron secondary., but I only see the factory fuel filters sold as a kit with both factory filters. Can the factory secondary filter be purchased by itself?
How is the fuel isolated to the airdog2 for servicing?

webb06

Reaction score
i run an airdog on my truck. no problems from it yet. i did switch my filter over to a CAT filter though, and the water separator filter is a baldwin filter.
1) you can wire in to the factory harness....i did mine that way
2) you could either run the bowl empty, or get the bowl delete kit
3) im not aware of anywhere that sells the filters seperately
4) not sure what you're asking

TD-5

Reaction score
thanks for the info, on the last question, what stops a full fuel tank from gravitating thru the unit when the filters are removed for change

CT9AIX

Reaction score
I got a Fuelab Velocity 200 from Morgan (Sledpull user name here) to replace my Airdog and love it. It's a little more for the DIY guy as the Fuelab does not come with any lines/fittings or anything so you have to make up everything your self to supply/feed/return fuel... but in terms of the pump itself it's far superior. I had a Airdog that was replaced twice which is why I switched, but there are other guys who have had a lot better luck with the Airdog too.

As for wiring its controlled by the factory wiring harness from the HFCM, and I have the fuel bowl deleted on top of the engine so never messed with trying to just find that one filter.

B585Ford

Reaction score
I got a Fuelab Velocity 200 from Morgan (Sledpull user name here) to replace my Airdog and love it. It's a little more for the DIY guy as the Fuelab does not come with any lines/fittings or anything so you have to make up everything your self to supply/feed/return fuel... but in terms of the pump itself it's far superior. I had a Airdog that was replaced twice which is why I switched, but there are other guys who have had a lot better luck with the Airdog too.

As for wiring its controlled by the factory wiring harness from the HFCM, and I have the fuel bowl deleted on top of the engine so never messed with trying to just find that one filter.

I am definitely interested in Morgan's set up when I do the LPFP. I have been waiting to see how well they hold up so thanks for the update. Does it come with a way the monitor the pressure it is putting out or would you need to use the Shrader Valve?

Josh@Fuelab

Reaction score
If any of you have any tech/install questions, feel free to let me know. No sales questions, please- just keep it tech/install related.

We will be working on install kits for the Powerstroke in the near future. We currently only have install kits set up for the Duramax and Cummins. Currently, the mounting brackets still come with the pumps, you just have to purchase the fuel line and some fittings.

B585Ford

Reaction score
If any of you have any tech/install questions, feel free to let me know. No sales questions, please- just keep it tech/install related.

We will be working on install kits for the Powerstroke in the near future. We currently only have install kits set up for the Duramax and Cummins. Currently, the mounting brackets still come with the pumps, you just have to purchase the fuel line and some fittings.

Do you have an ETA on when it will be released? What are filter specs?

Josh@Fuelab

Reaction score
We have just recently started working on it, so it will still be a while. We do a lot of testing before releasing anything. If we follow the same format as the other systems, the 200gph systems will use a Baldwin BF1212 filter and the 100gph systems will use a BF1282. Keep in mind I said *IF* we follow the same format. I would assume for the low pressure systems we will follow the same format, since what Morgan sells was actually meant for a different application until we found out that the output pressure would also work for the low pressure Powerstroke engines. With that said, the high pressure systems very well may follow a different format than the current 100gph and 200gph systems.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
I am definitely interested in Morgan's set up when I do the LPFP. I have been waiting to see how well they hold up so thanks for the update. Does it come with a way the monitor the pressure it is putting out or would you need to use the Shrader Valve?

It does have a 1/8" NPT port for a PSI gauge, but I have the feed side going to the HPFP regulated so I just put a gauge on that instead. I have approx. 25k miles on it so far and its been great. The only thing is the brackets it came with were fairly cheesy. I had plans on making a custom mount anyway along with my extra filters/heads... but if someone is just looking to slap this on and go with no other mods going on I wouldn't feel terribly comfortable with the brackets provided to mount it.

The kit/pump I have is made designed for a Cummins platform, I think the part # was 30303 or something along those lines with a PSI set from the factory of 18. Only thing I did was turn down the PSI slightly on the pump itself, then seeing my regulator is on the feed side I just turned it down to 11 and were good! PSI

Last edited:

Josh@Fuelab

Reaction score
Aside from two people that tightened the bolts down entirely too much on the two brackets that go on each side of the frame, we haven't had any problems with them. We're always up for constructive criticism though. What would you like to see changed? Using the same bracket idea, but making them thicker just adds extra cost. They don't need to be any thicker- buy design, they really can't move and there's loctite as well as lock washers that come with the kit to keep the bolts from loosening up.

I have heard one complaint that seems somewhat legit to me though. The curved/bent bracket that hangs the pump off of the two frame backets- that could stand to be a bit thicker or possibly have a gusset or two. There have not been any failures, but you can get it to move if you pull down on it (not sure why someone would do that though).

B585Ford

Reaction score
It does have a 1/8" NPT port for a PSI gauge, but I have the feed side going to the HPFP regulated so I just put a gauge on that instead. I have approx. 25k miles on it so far and its been great. The only thing is the brackets it came with were fairly cheesy. I had plans on making a custom mount anyway along with my extra filters/heads... but if someone is just looking to slap this on and go with no other mods going on I wouldn't feel terribly comfortable with the brackets provided to mount it.

The kit/pump I have is made designed for a Cummins platform, I think the part # was 30303 or something along those lines with a PSI set from the factory of 18. Only thing I did was turn down the PSI slightly on the pump itself, then seeing my regulator is on the feed side I just turned it down to 11 and were good! PSI

That makes sense. Again, glad to hear it is working out for ya. I definitely think this is the route I will go.

FTKRayJr

Reaction score

I thought I saw an install kit to replace an airdog pump with your velocity setup? Helpful to some guys on here looking to convert if so

CT9AIX

Reaction score
Aside from two people that tightened the bolts down entirely too much on the two brackets that go on each side of the frame, we haven't had any problems with them. We're always up for constructive criticism though. What would you like to see changed? Using the same bracket idea, but making them thicker just adds extra cost. They don't need to be any thicker- buy design, they really can't move and there's loctite as well as lock washers that come with the kit to keep the bolts from loosening up.

I have heard one complaint that seems somewhat legit to me though. The curved/bent bracket that hangs the pump off of the two frame backets- that could stand to be a bit thicker or possibly have a gusset or two. There have not been any failures, but you can get it to move if you pull down on it (not sure why someone would do that though).

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with the curved bracket. Once everything is bolted on and secured, you can take the top or bottom of the pump and push it forward or back and once you let go it gets the "springy" type effect where its bouncing back and fourth rather quickly. My concern was hitting bumps in the road or being off road a lot like myself, and having that thing constantly doing the "spring" effect all the time. It causes un-needed movement which in turn could accelerate wear on hoses that are touching other parts seeing they would literally be rubbing back and fourth all day when the pump "springs"... or in worst case fatigue the metal where it bends and eventually break.

Its not a terribly big issue or hard one to fix, but like with anything... if I'm sitting there after installation is complete and I'm questioning if something is going to be reliable, I'm going to take it apart and fix it as I see fit so once I'm done its not sitting in the back of my mind all day.

Other than that small issue I loved the kit and would buy it again in a heart beat!

Last edited:

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Once I do my LP system I'll be getting the fuelab from Morgan. I just think its a superior pump. And Morgan is a good guy to deal with.

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
I will have my Cab up in the near future & I absolutely hate the factory HFCM pissing fuel all over me as I fight with a filter change. I was thinking this might be the time to upgrade the supply system. Airdogs seem to have had some motor problems, but that appears to be mostly on the high pressure models for the 7.3 & 6.0. I haven't read of many issues with the 6.4 L.P. models?
After looking at the airdog 2 systems I have a couple of questions,
They supply a new wiring harness with relay for the airdog 2. Can't the factory relay controlled power supply be used?
Airdog supplies a 2 micron filter on their unit. The factory secondary filter on the engine is rated 4 microns so it won't be doing much with a 2 micron feeding it. Can the secondary be removed & the canister (bowl) be run empty?
My second thought was run a 10 micron on the airdog2 as a primary & keep the 4 micron secondary., but I only see the factory fuel filters sold as a kit with both factory filters. Can the factory secondary filter be purchased by itself?
How is the fuel isolated to the airdog2 for servicing?

I have about 40k on my Airdog with no problems. I wired it directly to the factory harness, so wirring is a piece of cake. There's better options as far as Airdog filters, I read somewhere that there only efficient up to 50% pump flow. I did some minor grinding to the corners of the mount to fit the Donaldson (3 micron filter) and separator. I know the cat filters will fit with some tweaks and filter down to 2 micron. The bowl filter can't be bought separately unfortunately, I asked my local dealer last time I replaced it, so your stuck buying them both as far as I know. I guess if that bothers you, you could just delete the fuel bowl. As far as servicing the Airdog filter, it still dumps fuel, but if you mount it in a good spot it won't be running down the frame like the oem. Hope this helps.

TD-5

Reaction score
I have about 40k on my Airdog with no problems. I wired it directly to the factory harness, so wirring is a piece of cake. There's better options as far as Airdog filters, I read somewhere that there only efficient up to 50% pump flow. I did some minor grinding to the corners of the mount to fit the Donaldson (3 micron filter) and separator. I know the cat filters will fit with some tweaks and filter down to 2 micron. The bowl filter can't be bought separately unfortunately, I asked my local dealer last time I replaced it, so your stuck buying them both as far as I know. I guess if that bothers you, you could just delete the fuel bowl. As far as servicing the Airdog filter, it still dumps fuel, but if you mount it in a good spot it won't be running down the frame like the oem. Hope this helps.
Great info thanks, Looks like the Donaldson is good replacement with a very high efficiency rating. It would be nice if all the filter manufacturers would get on the same page & list the Beta ratios for their filters so a comparison could be made, but it is what it is. Wix makes a direct replacement for the AD filter (33673) which looks like it would work well with the factory secondary.

Last edited:

B585Ford

Reaction score

I was thinking that you said you tow heavy from time to time. With any of your setups (stock LP, AD, or Fuel Lab) did you ever have any problems with RP surging when towing?

CT9AIX

Reaction score
Yes I do tow heavy occasionally and never had a surging issue... nothing bad that I noticed atleast. Usually when I'm towing I have my eyes glued to the road, unlike when I'm empty I watch the DD like a hawk! :thumbsup:

Josh@Fuelab

Reaction score
I thought I saw an install kit to replace an airdog pump with your velocity setup? Helpful to some guys on here looking to convert if so

We do have switch out kits, but they were meant to cover the Cummins and Duramax. They very well may work on the Powerstroke, but we have yet to test one to be sure. At the absolute least, our kits (regular and switch out) would cover a lot of what you need, but I'm sure there would be missing pieces since the current install kits were meant for something else.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
We do have switch out kits, but they were meant to cover the Cummins and Duramax. They very well may work on the Powerstroke, but we have yet to test one to be sure. At the absolute least, our kits (regular and switch out) would cover a lot of what you need, but I'm sure there would be missing pieces since the current install kits were meant for something else.

just dont forget about me buddy :)

Latest posts

Members online