Leaking Rad

Ragu9000

Reaction score
2011 Job 1 with 74k on it. went to install my AMP steps and noticed the leak (talk about a buzz kill) well it appears to be coming from the second rad driver side drain plug region. after some research this appears to be a common issue. not looking to rant about Ford but I will not give them the 1500 they want to fix it. I have enough mechanical skill to do this myself with no issues.

What I ask is…

1.) OEM rad or aftermarket (if they even make any) and if so what kind?
2.) Keep the orange Ford coolant or switch to something else?

And a pic because I know we all love pics
j1rw.jpg

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
There are no aftermarket radiators available for the secondary system at this point. Honestly, I'd be surprised to ever hear if there would be.

Is it the petcock or is it the EGR output line near the bottom, that is giving you fits?

Ragu9000

Reaction score
There are no aftermarket radiators available for the secondary system at this point. Honestly, I'd be surprised to ever hear if there would be.

Is it the petcock or is it the EGR output line near the bottom, that is giving you fits?

should have posted this before. I guess I'm not sure where its actually coming from….I have a pressure tester just haven't been able to do it with the cold temps in NJ

f627.jpg

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I believe there is a o-ring seal around that edge. Not sure if crimping it tighter will repair a bad o-ring. You could try though. Maybe a radiator shop could r&r it?

Ragu9000

Reaction score
I have a serious issue with trusting people working on my toys haha. guess it couldn't hurt….any clue what a rad from ford costs?

6.7strokin

Reaction score
I have a serious issue with trusting people working on my toys haha. guess it couldn't hurt….any clue what a rad from ford costs?

Had mine start leaking at 30k. Same exact spot as in picture. If I recall I thought the primary radiator drain was on the drivers side and the secondary on the passenger side but I can't remember for sure. Anyways, Ford fixed mine under warranty. The service guy said the radiator alone was 800. If I were paying out of pocket for labor and material it would have been right at 1800.

6.7strokin

Reaction score
Dealer told me that the radiators are only covered up to 36k. Not real sure why they dont go up to 60k with the power train warranty :shrug:. I have heard of some people out of the 36k warranty raise enough hell to get Ford to discount having the radiator replaced.

Ragu9000

Reaction score
I would just like to give everyone an update. I picked up the rad for 679 +tax ( that is very close to fords cost) I tackled the job myself. I was not rushing and took my time and got it done in appx 5 hours. everything checked out leak free when I was done. I am very happy I saved myself about $800 in labor. Takes no specialty tools. could literally do the entire job with a couple pair of pliers, 7mm 8mm 10mm and 13mm sockets. and 2 buckets. very pleased with the job. only annoying part is you need to drain you AC.

Good luck to all :toast:

alradco

Reaction score
You want to send me the bad one so we can get started on an aluminum replacement possibly? I'll pay shipping etc. :)

Peter

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.