Leaky hg with arp's

stroker221

Reaction score
Looks like I've got it narrowed down finally to being a head gasket leak. Didn't think I'd have to ever worry about that with studs... gonna go ahead and get some harder pushrods, rockers, and some stronger springs while I'm in there..

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like I've got it narrowed down finally to being a head gasket leak. Didn't think I'd have to ever worry about that with studs... gonna go ahead and get some harder pushrods, rockers, and some stronger springs while I'm in there..

that sucks. we recommend H-11 studs, they are just plain better than the ARP's . if you need a deal on any of the stuff you mentioned give me a hollar, i'll hook you up .

stroker221

Reaction score
Ok thanks guys. And if I remember right, isn't there a coolant cross over tube that runs from the water pump to the heater core that's under intake manifold on passenger side? With a mirror and looking at it it's definitely looks like a hg but if it's coming from higher up maybe it's that tube. I think it was plastic? I'd have to remove my turbo to see

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Ok thanks guys. And if I remember right, isn't there a coolant cross over tube that runs from the water pump to the heater core that's under intake manifold on passenger side? With a mirror and looking at it it's definitely looks like a hg but if it's coming from higher up maybe it's that tube. I think it was plastic? I'd have to remove my turbo to see

nah you can replace that tube without pulling anything. we make a kit that replaces the pos tube .

http://nolimitfabrication.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_73&product_id=270

Zmann

Reaction score
you have an external coolant leak and your thinking it is the HG's ?

I like this fix

nolimit-coolant-replacement-line-500x500.JPG

Last edited:

beaslyb

Reaction score
Reading this kinda sucks for me, I just did ARP's and seemed like everything I've read was they were superior to H11's. Are the H11's proven to be a better performer? I did the cab lift in my shop and it was a lot of work, I'd hate to think I'd have to do it again.

Lipka101

Reaction score
Reading this kinda sucks for me, I just did ARP's and seemed like everything I've read was they were superior to H11's. Are the H11's proven to be a better performer? I did the cab lift in my shop and it was a lot of work, I'd hate to think I'd have to do it again.
You will be fine. As long as it was done right the chances of doing it again are pretty slim. There's plenty of us that have arp's without problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Lipka101

Reaction score
you have an external coolant leak and your thinking it is the HG's ?

I like this fix

nolimit-coolant-replacement-line-500x500.JPG
Whs^^^ especially if it coming from the top side. If the head gasket were leaking up there you would have water in your oil. Could be the oil cooler.

stroker221

Reaction score
The valley is nice and dry from the front all the way to the back. I can clearly see with a mirror that there's coolant running from the highest point where the head meets the block and runs down and saturates my starter and the rear of passenger side bank. I'm not 100% sure it's the head but I cannot trace the leak as of yet up any further. I've removed wheel well and battery tray. I'll remove turbo this week and hopefully I can pin point the leak. It won't leak just ideling. You have to drive it and drive it a little hard 20 min for it to start leaking after the truck sits a while.. Hopefully it's the tube leaking though..

sootie

Reaction score
are your egr coolers mia? if not, it could be a cracked one leaking out of the uppipe connection...

stroker221

Reaction score
Zmann, I believe if it is hg leaking then it would be coming from this rectangular passage possibly

Attachments

• IMG_1376.jpg
    IMG_1376.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 85

Lipka101

Reaction score
The valley is nice and dry from the front all the way to the back. I can clearly see with a mirror that there's coolant running from the highest point where the head meets the block and runs down and saturates my starter and the rear of passenger side bank. I'm not 100% sure it's the head but I cannot trace the leak as of yet up any further. I've removed wheel well and battery tray. I'll remove turbo this week and hopefully I can pin point the leak. It won't leak just ideling. You have to drive it and drive it a little hard 20 min for it to start leaking after the truck sits a while.. Hopefully it's the tube leaking though..
Shouldn't have to remove any turbos. If it's wet any further back than the first two inches of the head/block it has to be that hose. The only part of the top edge of where the head meets the block that has coolant is right at the very front.

stroker221

Reaction score
This hose is definitely not leaking or where it goes into plastic tube beside intake...

Attachments

• IMG_1381.jpg
    IMG_1381.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1382.jpg
    IMG_1382.jpg
    902.3 KB · Views: 105

Latest posts

Members online