Let's talk hitches

TyCorr

Reaction score
I had a 34' heavy frame triple axle bumper pull as well. Pulled like a tuned arrow... triple axle and properly balanced. The height of it was nice and low. But I was also pulling it with a one ton dually. The frame on an enclosed car hauler (big one) vs a camper is night and day difference.

There are a lot of factors for his sway situation. One is the camper pulls like a wet noodle and send a frequency tat gets amplified at his rear tires. The balance of his trailer being a toy hauler also helps NONE.

This is the best summary of the issue. Its the trailer design. And its poor enough that it's got him questioning the truck.

If its as bad as the op says, which I believe, id be looking to get rid of it. Add to that "door not closing for the 6th time" and you can imagine that trailer moving like a snake as it bends and weaves like a slalom.

I think until you get a different trailer you'll be sparring your truck against your trailer.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
This is the best summary of the issue. Its the trailer design. And its poor enough that it's got him questioning the truck.

If its as bad as the op says, which I believe, id be looking to get rid of it. Add to that "door not closing for the 6th time" and you can imagine that trailer moving like a snake as it bends and weaves like a slalom.

I think until you get a different trailer you'll be sparring your truck against your trailer.

Im.just going to dropen this here and mean no ill towards our tricktruck friend.... don't take this personally please.. but cosnider it...

I've seen PLENTY of bumper pull toyhauler trailers ON THEIR SIDE or UPSIDE DOWN from this very issue. Terrible accidents. Some brand new some older. It never fails. Everytime it's a bumper pull and a 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton. They get the wobble and BAM. IT'S ALL OVER...

The trailer is weak. The frame is made from super thin walled square tubing with zero rigidity. You could build a hitch for your truck that would pull a D11 dozer and the trailer frame still sucks. It's junk. Pure junk.... It doesn't matter if it has 10k axles. It's the frame of the trailer. All day everyday and every guy that has a combo bumper pull camper/toytoter. When you load toys in the back and gear in the front the frame looks like a banana. And then wiggles like a chic from India dancing for a Cobra snake.... there are no arms on the market that will stop that from happening.

Again. Way to many of these are Splattered all over the interstate from Indiana to South Texas regularly....

Jason

Reaction score
That was my point in comparing my Cargo Mate (Forest River company, same as his travel trailer) to my Pace American. Hell, I pulled that Pace at speed with my old Yukon Denali, no sway control or anything, and it was solid as a rock behind that thing. The trailer was also a foot and a half taller than my Cargo Mate too. That Forest River prodyct never seemed to pull right, I still have it if anybody wants to buy it, lol.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I've seen PLENTY of bumper pull toyhauler trailers ON THEIR SIDE or UPSIDE DOWN from this very issue. Terrible accidents. Some brand new some older. It never fails. Everytime it's a bumper pull and a 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton. They get the wobble and BAM. IT'S ALL OVER...

The trailer is weak. The frame is made from super thin walled square tubing with zero rigidity. You could build a hitch for your truck that would pull a D11 dozer and the trailer frame still sucks. It's junk. Pure junk.... It doesn't matter if it has 10k axles. It's the frame of the trailer. All day everyday and every guy that has a combo bumper pull camper/toytoter. When you load toys in the back and gear in the front the frame looks like a banana. And then wiggles like a chic from India dancing for a Cobra snake.... there are no arms on the market that will stop that from happening.

Again. Way to many of these are Splattered all over the interstate from Indiana to South Texas regularly....

It seems he doesn't want to read/hear what he needs, and is looking more for validation to purchase a band-aid. I just hope he doesn't become another like you've described.

I think we both agree, with bumper pull the difference between SRW and DRW is tremendous. Almost as good as going to gooseneck/5th wheel while still SRW. But a good trailer is required.

Jomax

Reaction score
My 24ft car hauler is a haulmark edge with the 5200lbs torsion axles. Flat front. Sucker is swaying for the littlest of things. I don't know if the heap China bombs have anything to do with that.

Only other box bumper pull I've towed was a 32ft toyhauler. BUT it was a triple axle, which I think it what makes them an arrow. Double axles suck for bumper pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CATDiezel

Reaction score
It seems he doesn't want to read/hear what he needs, and is looking more for validation to purchase a band-aid. I just hope he doesn't become another like you've described.

I think we both agree, with bumper pull the difference between SRW and DRW is tremendous. Almost as good as going to gooseneck/5th wheel while still SRW. But a good trailer is required.

My 24ft car hauler is a haulmark edge with the 5200lbs torsion axles. Flat front. Sucker is swaying for the littlest of things. I don't know if the heap China bombs have anything to do with that.

Only other box bumper pull I've towed was a 32ft toyhauler. BUT it was a triple axle, which I think it what makes them an arrow. Double axles suck for bumper pull.

http://www.aluminumtrailer.com/enclosedcarhaulers.php My old trailer... Those trailers have real frames underneath them... MAKES A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE

Triple axle trailers will without a doubt pull like an arrow... I did pull it completely loaded several times with a single rear wheel with no problem as well, however it was generally pulled with my dually... ZERO drift or sway issues and a standard 2 5/16 ball hitch on the stock receiver.

For a fix, I would consider asking the camper manufacturer for a triple axle fender and adding a third axle in front of the other two instead of trying to fix the problem at the hitch (which I personally don't believe that is where your issue is...) The frame is still tiny and weak comparably to enclosed car haulers but it would definitely be worth the investment on that end. IN MY OPINION.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I will add that looking at the Hensley hitch adds yet another concern for a heavy hauler tag trailer... You have now put the fulcrum point of leverage even further away from the rear axle.

Just a thought as I have ZERO experience with a Hensley, but I did just watch their demonstration video on Youtube.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im.just going to dropen this here and mean no ill towards our tricktruck friend.... don't take this personally please.. but cosnider it...

That was precisely what I was saying. I commented on his thread a year or two ago that i pulled more with a plain jane factory hitch and had no problems. You are literally only providing the power to get that trailer moving with a truck. Other than braking prompts from the truck via driver, the trailer is his own man. I saw this when he was getting uber serious about tires and people's opinions.

He is a good dude and I hope he sees the extreme quality issues with the trailer as a sign its extremely underbuilt. They build them and hope you park it, put it in blocks and burn it ten years later.

Jomax

Reaction score
That was precisely what I was saying. I commented on his thread a year or two ago that i pulled more with a plain jane factory hitch and had no problems. You are literally only providing the power to get that trailer moving with a truck. Other than braking prompts from the truck via driver, the trailer is his own man. I saw this when he was getting uber serious about tires and people's opinions.

He is a good dude and I hope he sees the extreme quality issues with the trailer as a sign its extremely underbuilt. They build them and hope you park it, put it in blocks and burn it ten years later.

How did your 24ft enclosed trailer pull?

dmd

Reaction score
I will add that looking at the Hensley hitch adds yet another concern for a heavy hauler tag trailer... You have now put the fulcrum point of leverage even further away from the rear axle.

Just a thought as I have ZERO experience with a Hensley, but I did just watch their demonstration video on Youtube.

From the design the pivot point is moved to the rear axle using their
mechanical geometry. That is how they eliminate the sway.

TyCorr

Reaction score
How did your 24ft enclosed trailer pull?

My enclosed trailer now is either 20 or 22. Its a titan and its 9' tall inside. 8'x9'x? I have a 16' plank in it now and theres 5' to where the nose "v" is. So maybe its a 22? It pulls nice. Its also way overbuilt. I think its technically a car hauler but I just asked for something the ramp wouldnt bend with a forklift on it.

Its got a 16k lb rating. Ill be honest, i havent looked at it much. All my others I knew everything about before I pulled them. Lifes been busy and I just went, looked, pulled, specified, and bought. Its basically a shop on wheels.

My window trailers were 8x8'6x18 and they sucked. The roof would break right in front of the ramp. Id have a bracket and a stiffener welded to it and it would stay together. They were cheap pos anyway. The one before last was hooked to three trucks so it had 550k on it.

Jomax

Reaction score
My enclosed trailer now is either 20 or 22. Its a titan and its 9' tall inside. 8'x9'x? I have a 16' plank in it now and theres 5' to where the nose "v" is. So maybe its a 22? It pulls nice. Its also way overbuilt. I think its technically a car hauler but I just asked for something the ramp wouldnt bend with a forklift on it.

Its got a 16k lb rating. Ill be honest, i havent looked at it much. All my others I knew everything about before I pulled them. Lifes been busy and I just went, looked, pulled, specified, and bought. Its basically a shop on wheels.

My window trailers were 8x8'6x18 and they sucked. The roof would break right in front of the ramp. Id have a bracket and a stiffener welded to it and it would stay together. They were cheap pos anyway. The one before last was hooked to three trucks so it had 550k on it.

I'm shocked it pulls perfect and you use nothing but a ball.

I'm assuming you get on the highway often with them?

I'm trying to see if somehow I have a bad trailer, or the tires are junk, being yours is rated for 16k you must have at least 6k axles underneath which means you have 16in tires with e rated tires. Which I think helps.

TyCorr

Reaction score
My setup has been up to 95mph. Nothing.

It bounces sometimes empty but not at higher speeds. As I said my pella trailer was a pos and it still pulled fine. It just caved in until you welded about 250$ worth of steel into it. I ruined tires every three months on that work trailer and i switched to e's if it had anything else. N9t worth it imo.

My new trailer has been behind my 00 (7.3, 250/200 38r) and its great. Its been behind my dads 04 f150. Its been behind a 15 ram cclb drw. Its got a long front to the frame as did all my others. Maybe that helps as opposed to those short angled fronts?
Honestly my old work trailer we did a bunch of stuff it should have pulled worse because of. I took the hitch out of the receiver and drilled a hole two inches farther in so the tailgate didnt hit the jack. I had a 2" drop in it on a stock dmax 3500srw so it was nosed down a bit=tons of tongue weight. Still no issues lol

Id say try tires first. Try a different truck second. And if it doesnt help take itvto the trailer place and ask them what the deal is.

My buddy Buettner pulled his toyhauler with his new f150 ecoboost and it was fine and those are known fir being goofy at 35'. He usually uses his 03 f250ecsb 7.3. Buuut he is diggin in that new f150. I dont blame him its ***kin nice.

Jomax

Reaction score
My setup has been up to 95mph. Nothing.

It bounces sometimes empty but not at higher speeds. As I said my pella trailer was a pos and it still pulled fine. It just caved in until you welded about 250$ worth of steel into it. I ruined tires every three months on that work trailer and i switched to e's if it had anything else. N9t worth it imo.

My new trailer has been behind my 00 (7.3, 250/200 38r) and its great. Its been behind my dads 04 f150. Its been behind a 15 ram cclb drw. Its got a long front to the frame as did all my others. Maybe that helps as opposed to those short angled fronts?
Honestly my old work trailer we did a bunch of stuff it should have pulled worse because of. I took the hitch out of the receiver and drilled a hole two inches farther in so the tailgate didnt hit the jack. I had a 2" drop in it on a stock dmax 3500srw so it was nosed down a bit=tons of tongue weight. Still no issues lol

Id say try tires first. Try a different truck second. And if it doesnt help take itvto the trailer place and ask them what the deal is.

My buddy Buettner pulled his toyhauler with his new f150 ecoboost and it was fine and those are known fir being goofy at 35'. He usually uses his 03 f250ecsb 7.3. Buuut he is diggin in that new f150. I dont blame him its ***kin nice.

Wow, now I'm really ticked mine has these issues. And I even upgraded to the haulmark edge for the stronger frame... Tires are D rated China bombs though.

I just picked up a used Reese W/D hitch. I'll see what that does.

TyCorr

Reaction score
If u had to start doing shti like that, w/d hitches, id be pissed.

Jomax

Reaction score
If u had to start doing shti like that, w/d hitches, id be pissed.

I am, haven't had a chance to get under it to see if the axles are square and aligned. But I will this week.

TyCorr

Reaction score
One of my work trailers had a broken shackle on one side and aomething was installed backwards/upside down on the other. It was hard to drive up to 45. Started getting on the big road, thought it was smoothing out with speed, then it started bouncing, pitching, then heading for the ditch. Correct...repeat...correct....finally I pulled over unloaded our job into the other trailer and left it on the side of the road. Called the office "come get your trailer". It was a haulmark or something like that. It had big time issues. They replaced axles to the tune of 1800 dollars every six months. I told em, get rid of it. Its not worth the headache on a 4k dollar trailer.

They never learned. Luckily their fork driver drove a forklift in it and broke through the floor. Buckled the walls=bye bye trailer.