Let's talk non-Diet tuning and mods

sootie

Reaction score
Me too, especially the less regens claim. More power=added fueling=more smoke=more regens. Common sense tells you that. Why not just run something that is tried and true by thousands of guys instead of something that is gonna be a shot in the dark?
Europeans have been making power with emissions equipment intact for years. Why not innovate? Its the future anyway.

Even American farm tractors are getting so good with fuel control, they are getting away from EGR and strictly using SCR

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I had a '12 that was put on a diet w/ the mm, g3arhead tune, 5" exhaust, egr, NL intake etc.
It ran like a raped ape and got 18mpg doing it at 80mph. Towed a big toyhauler like a champ too.
Great. Only thing I didn't like is that it was real hard on tires :D Maybe a left foot problem.
Wifey had a wreck with it and I worked my way out of the '12 into a '16.
Still have all the hard parts, but obviously I'll need a tuner & tune for the '16.
The best my '16 gets is 13mpg :(

However, lots of posts on bookface about the EPA cracking down on trucks like ours. Sending owners in for inspection and all kinds of nonsense. Way I see this, it's only a matter of time before there's some lottery and a letter from the EPA which says 'go get it inspected' or else...

I remember from putting all that stuff back on my '12 that it was not a fun job, that and I got the $3000 prize heater problem code too.

So, good reasons to diet, good reasons not to diet. I would propose we talk about the non-diet options.

I think I'd like to get the NL intake and a hotside/intercooler pipe on the truck at minimum (yes, the intercooler kit I have won't work unless I diet.) Truthfully I'd like one of the 'replace all the pipes' kit, but as I understand it these are only for dieted trucks.

I see 5star has a 90hp / 180TQ tune. But they are using either a proprietary tuner or an obsolete one. No good tuner option with them IMHO.

There's a couple other new to the 6.7 game tuners like Superchips and Duramileage, but I hesitate to be a guinea pig for them.

I think the ezlink even though pretty spendy is the right choice, but I could be wrong.

I now yield the floor to those with more experience on this subject.

20170619_140938_1497896653017_resizedLarge.jpg

As great as green tunes sound, I'm pretty sure you and I both went down this road with some of the first one's for the 6.7's and then both of us ended up ripping everything off the truck and it was not that great of an experience with that tuner.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
As great as green tunes sound, I'm pretty sure you and I both went down this road with some of the first one's for the 6.7's and then both of us ended up ripping everything off the truck and it was not that great of an experience with that tuner.
Good Point, fool me once...
Those 2012 Green Tunes by that 'guy' sucked bad. That was $300 down the drain for tunes and $100 for the dyno and a day of my time. Made less power than the emissions on H&S box tune on a dyno (and seat of the pants) and had horrible characteristics. Remember the turbo surging under light throttle? And his trans tuning was something out of nightmares.
I don't have a bunch of money laying around to waste on this time either.

Wonder if CP will offer a money back satisfaction guarantee to go with their high pricetag?

powerstrokelyfe

Reaction score
Me too, especially the less regens claim. More power=added fueling=more smoke=more regens. Common sense tells you that. Why not just run something that is tried and true by thousands of guys instead of something that is gonna be a shot in the dark?

I do agree on the reliability factor of being d*******
Unfortunately, *** On tuning looks to be an alternative choice because of more and more emi$$ion$ regulations being put in place .

20156point7

Reaction score
Europeans have been making power with emissions equipment intact for years. Why not innovate? Its the future anyway.

Even American farm tractors are getting so good with fuel control, they are getting away from EGR and strictly using SCR

I don't like the future lol. Don't get me started on new tractors and there "great" emissions control devices. The ones I've had too deal with have been a nightmare with absolutely no dealer support

Black AOD

Reaction score
Good Point, fool me once...
Those 2012 Green Tunes by that 'guy' sucked bad. That was $300 down the drain for tunes and $100 for the dyno and a day of my time. Made less power than the emissions on H&S box tune on a dyno (and seat of the pants) and had horrible characteristics. Remember the turbo surging under light throttle? And his trans tuning was something out of nightmares.
I don't have a bunch of money laying around to waste on this time either.

Wonder if CP will offer a money back satisfaction guarantee to go with their high pricetag?

No offense meant but keep dreaming man. No one is going to offer that when you're talking about aftermarket tuning

TrickTruck

Reaction score
here is the breakdown on what we can offer you on your 2016 Ford Powerstroke.

Edge Insight CTSII Pro - $580.00
Switchable Engine Tuning - $490.00
Transmission Tuning - $199.00
15-16 Switch - $100.00
Shipping -

Power levels for this truck as as follow:
1. opt stock +20rwhp
2. heavy tow +45rwhp
3. light tow +75rwhp
4. sport econ +135rwhp
5. race +180rwhp (Roughly 580rwhp)

Sooooo tempting. I don't see anyone posting better numbers with emissions off tuning. Gotta wonder if it's a happy dyno, or if these number can be backed up seat of the pants and on a dyno.

The warranty is as expected
I want to address our 100% Guarantee. We are willing to stand behind everything we offer, advertise, and support. Keep in mind this is a custom tune, we may need to tweak something to cater more to your liking. We are willing to do what we can (within our control). Now we are newer to the Ford market, however we have been tuning the duramax and cummins for just over 10 years. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to me. I'll be glad to help any way I can.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Lots of 16's spinning crank gears also...

For a guy like you, better stay stock!

correct.

Its 15 up that it happens to, and almost all of them running Patriot tuning. I believe has to do with how hard they shift at WOT. The rotating mass is so violently slowed down, it overcomes the crank gear.

And to answer your quastion Trick Truck, the only way to avoid is weld the gear to the crank, which would require complete disassembly. If it happens to you, the only way to fix it is complete disassembly...

What is so different about how the crank gear is on crank for the 15-16 trucks?

Billy T.
[email protected]

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
here is the breakdown on what we can offer you on your 2016 Ford Powerstroke.

Edge Insight CTSII Pro - $580.00
Switchable Engine Tuning - $490.00
Transmission Tuning - $199.00
15-16 Switch - $100.00
Shipping -

Power levels for this truck as as follow:
1. opt stock +20rwhp
2. heavy tow +45rwhp
3. light tow +75rwhp
4. sport econ +135rwhp
5. race +180rwhp (Roughly 580rwhp)

Sooooo tempting. I don't see anyone posting better numbers with emissions off tuning. Gotta wonder if it's a happy dyno, or if these number can be backed up seat of the pants and on a dyno.

The warranty is as expected
I want to address our 100% Guarantee. We are willing to stand behind everything we offer, advertise, and support. Keep in mind this is a custom tune, we may need to tweak something to cater more to your liking. We are willing to do what we can (within our control). Now we are newer to the Ford market, however we have been tuning the duramax and cummins for just over 10 years. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to me. I'll be glad to help any way I can.
Go for it.

CATDiezel

Reaction score

Via emissions carbon tax credits. Please don't forget that. That's a global credit under the Paris act.

Otherwise yes. The only one to date is a Case tractor with carbon paid for credits.

Mainly 16's showing up with spun crank gear according to a general consensus. Not sure why just 16's have been noted. And generally it almost immediately after a tune-de lete. Haven't heard of anyone with a 15.... but I'm sure someone knows of one.

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
Via emissions carbon tax credits. Please don't forget that. That's a global credit under the Paris act.

Otherwise yes. The only one to date is a Case tractor with carbon paid for credits.

Mainly 16's showing up with spun crank gear according to a general consensus. Not sure why just 16's have been noted. And generally it almost immediately after a tune-de lete. Haven't heard of anyone with a 15.... but I'm sure someone knows of one.

ooooook? so what i said was incorrect? and yes, i have physically touched a 15 with a spun crank gear...

CATDiezel

Reaction score
ooooook? so what i said was incorrect? and yes, i have physically touched a 15 with a spun crank gear...

Your implication was the design of the engine was so good all they needed was selective catalyst reduction.
But the fact is the design is still the same. They just don't have to meet as stringent of criteria as others due to carbon credits. I don't "believe" it to be any better fuel control than anything else. It's case for crying outloud!!

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
Your implication was the design of the engine was so good all they needed was selective catalyst reduction.
But the fact is the design is still the same. They just don't have to meet as stringent of criteria as others due to carbon credits.
My implication was intended to illustrate the advanced electronic fueling control. You are probably correct on the carbon credits-i have no idea or desire to know. Fact is, the tractors don't smoke. Helluva lot more advanced that your typical deelet tuning...

CATDiezel

Reaction score
My implication was intended to illustrate the advanced electronic fueling control. You are probably correct on the carbon credits-i have no idea or desire to know. Fact is, the tractors don't smoke. Helluva lot more advanced that your typical deelet tuning...

I agree.

700-800 cubic inch engine producing 350-450hp doesn't smoke much.

The tuning on a stationary engine or tractor engine is by far much different than that of the automotive industry. With most of its peak power being at or near full throttle.

But, CASE has done something that is far greater than many factory tunes with injection control.... something magical if you will !! and its locked down tighter than the world bank as far as "What exactly" There are "tuners" available for them, but their magic is still a mystery. Kidding.... its just precise tuning that is highly geared around a VGT and peak power at full throttle.

As far as I know CASE International is the only SCR only engine manufacturer to current date using only urea for treatment. Very unique.

PyroFighter

Reaction score
Calibrated Power has some pretty good reviews on FB for their dmax work
https://www.facebook.com/pg/duramaxtuner/reviews/
Lotsa people like them.
Can't find anything on our 6.7 tho. :(

Calibrated just starting tuning the 6.7 powerstroke a few months ago. They are very popular in the Cummins/Duramax world. Fwiw they have a pod cast episode with Nick talking about their new powerstroke tuning.

Latest posts

Members online