Lets talk steering wheel play

Txwindmiller

Reaction score
2006 f350 dually, 175000 miles. I have about an inch or so play in the steering wheel.before moving tires left or right while driving. I've heard I can turn the screw 1/4 turn on the gearbox? Dealer told me no, it would make it worse, need to replace it. Sooooo, , are they just trying to sell me a gearbox? Cost to replace? Or will the gearbox trick work if I don't turn it to much?

EnterKO

Reaction score
I took the slop out of mine by adjusting the gearbox. Been fine for 50,000 miles since.

Krisco

Reaction score
The slop in mine was in the pitman arm to draglink connection. Somehow, the tapered hole in the arm got all wallered out. A new pitman arm did the trick.

Kris

jngreen

Reaction score
2006 f350 dually, 175000 miles. I have about an inch or so play in the steering wheel.before moving tires left or right while driving. I've heard I can turn the screw 1/4 turn on the gearbox? Dealer told me no, it would make it worse, need to replace it. Sooooo, , are they just trying to sell me a gearbox? Cost to replace? Or will the gearbox trick work if I don't turn it to much?

You can try to turn it a quarter turn. It shouldn't hurt anything.

jngreen

Reaction score
Do it a quarter turn or half turn at a time, and see if it gets better. If you go too far, the steering will no longer return back to center on its own. You will have to steer it into and out of each turn.

EnterKO

Reaction score
Do it a quarter turn or half turn at a time, and see if it gets better. If you go too far, the steering will no longer return back to center on its own. You will have to steer it into and out of each turn.

I agree. I kept my driver side battery out so that I could get to the box easier while testing at 1/2 turn increments.

Latest posts

Members online