Leveling kit question

Fear the Beard

Reaction score
I have a 2011 CCLB F350 SRW FX4 and I'm looking for a leveling kit. I just put on a heavy front bumper so it sags to the front pretty bad. I cant justify the money for a ICON or anything like that, but I want to know is the steel spacers and Bilsteins going to be even worth doing, I haven't heard anything real great from them . Thanks

Jayz

Reaction score
Bilsteins are an upgrade alone! Well worth it, also look into a daystar poly spacer (sounds weird, but I think they ride better then a solid steel spacer) or a under the spring steel spacer. That way it'll ride like factory, well better if you upgrade the shocks.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Bilsteins are an upgrade alone! Well worth it, also look into a daystar poly spacer (sounds weird, but I think they ride better then a solid steel spacer) or a under the spring steel spacer. That way it'll ride like factory, well better if you upgrade the shocks.

The poly spacer will not net you a better ride than bottom mount steel spacer.
The bilsteins may fit you well with the heavy front end but be prepared for a stiffer ride.

Super08Duty

Reaction score
The poly spacer will not net you a better ride than bottom mount steel spacer.
The bilsteins may fit you well with the heavy front end but be prepared for a stiffer ride.

agreed. Poly spacers and steel spacers don't make a ride difference. Shocks and dual rate coils do. Bilsteins are nice shocks. Ride will be stiffer, but they'll take absorb bumps, potholes, etc. Better than factory shocks.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I would suggest spending the money on some Icon springs. They are a progressive rate coil and the truck will ride better than stock with them

smokinstroker

Reaction score
I would suggest spending the money on some Icon springs. They are a progressive rate coil and the truck will ride better than stock with them

Icons coils are not progressive rate. Carlis are. (For the 2.5" coils)
But I will agree money spent on icon or carli springs with good shocks will make you much happier in the end. All depends on what ride your after.

Last edited:

WHY NOT

Reaction score

SD6.7

Reaction score
I have a heavy duty front bumper made by fusion. I have icon leveling kit, rides better than stock and really soaks up the bumps on the road. Haven't taken it offroad but I would guess it would be pretty nice. I use my truck for 90 percent on road. I fit 20x10 with 35" tires no problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Sorry says the are dual rate don't know how much different that is vs a true progressive rate spring
http://iconvehicledynamics.com/shop...50-25-lift-coil-spring-alignment-cam-kit.html

Not meaning anything by my post just wanted to clear it up.

Icon offers a dual rate coil for the 2.5"
Carli is a progressive rate for the 2.5"

When your going with a heavy bumper or plan on having a bunch of added weight on the front end the icon is a nice choice, and the dual rate will help keep the truck from sagging as you will hit the "second rate" or portion of the spring which is stiffer.

There's an explanation behind why each company uses their spec, but that's for another time to be discussed.

Either spring will make the average consumer happy. Shock pairing is key.

Last edited:

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I will have to agree with the shock choice is a big part of it. I just upgraded some old icon 2.0s to some 2.5 piggy backs and they made quite a big difference in the ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Icons are dual rate and progressive rate.

They are dual rate. Progressive combined with a stiffer lower spring for the weight and to keep it from binding under heavy stress or load.

Carli is a true progressive rate all the way through.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Sorry we got off topic a little.

Both will give you a great ride. Really you can't go wrong with either, just depends what you plan to do with the truck and how it will be equipped. Also choose shocks and coil together. This will make you much happier in the long run!

Lugger007

Reaction score
Both will give you a great ride. Really you can't go wrong with either, just depends what you plan to do with the truck and how it will be equipped. Also choose shocks and coil together. This will make you much happier in the long run!

Smokinstroker,
Any chance you can explain the difference between the two types and the recommended uses for both. I'm in a similar boat as the op and trying to decide which is best for my uses. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokinstroker

Reaction score
To make it really simple, if your planning on installing an aftermarket front bumper or an excess of added weight in the front end I would go icon as the dual rate coil will help hold the weight with less sag. (Won't be compressing the softer true progressive carli coil)

For a street truck with close to factory front weight you can run either and will be happy.
For someone looking for the "softest" or "spongy" ride I would go carli.

Putting a stiff shock with a carli spring will hide the softness and tuning in Carlis coils.
That said, a stiff shock will also make an icon run rougher than it could.

A soft or properly spec'd shock will always make either brands coil perform and feel MUCH better.

Both bands are plenty capable of making the average guy happy.
You can go wrong with either brand, and I don't want to make it seem like one is better than the other. Just depends on your application

These are all my opinions based off what I've ran, tested and reviewed. Along with customers reviews.
So take that for what it's worth.
Sorry OP if I got off topic, didn't mean to hijack the thread!

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Another vote for the icon springs. Mine rides great and there was a negligent sag when we put the winch bumper on too.

IMAG0218.jpg

You'll also need a longer track bar, icon makes a nice one. And shocks. The budget shock around the forums is the Bilstein. I run the King shocks and am very happy with them.

Latest posts

Members online