Long shot...anyone know a shop that has a set of BD exhaust manifolds in stock?

DWhite

Reaction score
I bought mine back in Sept and had to wait till like Oct to get them or something but Mike hooked me up.

They bolt right up, the kit doesn't send new manifold bolts so just not to break any. Mine came out pretty good and bolted right up and looks good.

I've been running my set for awhile. The install was nice and smooth. The only real problems that we ran into on mine was the heat shield modding instructions. Had to modify it a little more than instructions said.

Another problem I had but wasn't a big deal since we got a fitting, was the threads on the driver side up pipe was NPT which I think the sensor tube was different but it wasn't a big deal.

lxcoupe

Reaction score
I bought mine back in Sept and had to wait till like Oct to get them or something but Mike hooked me up.

They bolt right up, the kit doesn't send new manifold bolts so just not to break any. Mine came out pretty good and bolted right up and looks good.

I've been running my set for awhile. The install was nice and smooth. The only real problems that we ran into on mine was the heat shield modding instructions. Had to modify it a little more than instructions said.

Another problem I had but wasn't a big deal since we got a fitting, was the threads on the driver side up pipe was NPT which I think the sensor tube was different but it wasn't a big deal.

Yes it's disappointing they didn't include manifold bolts. I bought new dealership bolts since they're cheap and I didn't want to reuse heat cycled stock bolts. I also chased every bolt in the head, only took me 20 mins and figured it was cheap insurance.

What is everyone seeing for peak boost? I almost feel as if my truck had more top end power before the manifolds, but it's hard to tell. I've changed so many things in the last 500 miles (Suncoast trans, Suncoast converter, BD manifolds/ up pipes). I sent my SCT 9025OR back to IDP to have them put their "built trans" tune and it didn't shift right, I ended up going back to the old Xtreme-X engine tune, and and old firm shift with delay lock transmission tune, now it shifts real firm, real good. If I stab it from a 45 roll it will downshift into 1st, burn the tires for 30ft, then hit 2nd and bark the tires and keep going. But somehow my WOT boost levels are low I think? I'm only seeing 34-37psi. If I downshift from 5th to 3rd it does flash up to 44-45psi. I know that sometimes boost numbers aren't always an indication of power though... larger manifolds and larger downpipes can make measured boost numbers go down.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
do the manifolds have some sort of coating on them? They look black in some of the pictures. I ask because regardless of the brand, my next set of manifolds will be ceramic coated to prevent the rust from starting

DWhite

Reaction score
Just paint. My is already long burned off. I thought they was coated from the pics but just pa
They say Manifolds are coated to resist corrosion.

Last edited:

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
do the manifolds have some sort of coating on them? They look black in some of the pictures. I ask because regardless of the brand, my next set of manifolds will be ceramic coated to prevent the rust from starting
They do but its not very thick or durable. Accidentally got brake cleaner on mine and it ran off.

lxcoupe

Reaction score

Yep just paint. The flanges themselves were even painted, but I took my angle grinder and scotch brite pad and stripped the paint off. If and when I do a motor on this thing, I'll get them ceramic coated.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
Good to know its just paint. Def wont stop me from buying these, I just know I'll need to order sooner to have to time send off for coating

DWhite

Reaction score
Good to know its just paint. Def wont stop me from buying these, I just know I'll need to order sooner to have to time send off for coating

I think Mike at No Limit, still has some sets in his store, unless he sold them already.

sootie

Reaction score
Yes it's disappointing they didn't include manifold bolts. I bought new dealership bolts since they're cheap and I didn't want to reuse heat cycled stock bolts. I also chased every bolt in the head, only took me 20 mins and figured it was cheap insurance.

What is everyone seeing for peak boost? I almost feel as if my truck had more top end power before the manifolds, but it's hard to tell. I've changed so many things in the last 500 miles (Suncoast trans, Suncoast converter, BD manifolds/ up pipes). I sent my SCT 9025OR back to IDP to have them put their "built trans" tune and it didn't shift right, I ended up going back to the old Xtreme-X engine tune, and and old firm shift with delay lock transmission tune, now it shifts real firm, real good. If I stab it from a 45 roll it will downshift into 1st, burn the tires for 30ft, then hit 2nd and bark the tires and keep going. But somehow my WOT boost levels are low I think? I'm only seeing 34-37psi. If I downshift from 5th to 3rd it does flash up to 44-45psi. I know that sometimes boost numbers aren't always an indication of power though... larger manifolds and larger downpipes can make measured boost numbers go down.

you need to try some Gearhead tunes on your SCT. either your map sensor is malfunctioning or you have an issue. most trucks are seeing around 50psi at WOT +- 4psi. 6.0 manifolds would have zero affect on overall boost.

lxcoupe

Reaction score
you need to try some Gearhead tunes on your SCT. either your map sensor is malfunctioning or you have an issue. most trucks are seeing around 50psi at WOT +- 4psi. 6.0 manifolds would have zero affect on overall boost.

I'm getting with my Ford tech buddy to do a compression check in the next couple days I'll let everyone know. Truck runs great no white smoke no miss no codes no coolant loss so id be surprised it was a piston or head gasket but I'll know tonight or tomorrow.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
With the stock chargers on my truck it was hard to get much over 40 PSI without the trailer depending on the tune. If you are not running the Xtreme Street or above with no load it would be hard to get into the 40's+.

lxcoupe

Reaction score
Update! Had my buddy at Ford bring his scan computer home, all cylinders had perfect compression, injectors also looked fine, we were scratching our heads why the truck felt kinda sluggish, then I noticed that the clamp bolt that holds the boot for the transition from the intercooler to the CAC pipe was not fully tightened. Turns out the bolt itself had kinda become bent from over tightening at some point in its life, and the threads had seen better days as well. The boot was essentially just hand tight on the intercooler. I went to Ford this morning and bought a new clamp (part # 6C3Z-6K786-CA FYI) and installed it in the parking lot, all is well and I mean WELL! Boost is 45+ at WOT and truck feels strong as ever.

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures, this is next on the list now it looks like, I'd say not by my choice but I guess my right foot helped make the choice so whatever, is what it is. Cab-Off just looks like it would be much easier than messing around with those bolts at the turbos.