Looking at a 6.4, runs rough PO281 code

TRUBBS

Reaction score
looking at buying a truck, "needs engine work" the seller says.
says it still starts and runs just says reduced power and the scanner is bringing up PO281 code.
google search says its just a bad injector code, Wondering what im really looking at here?
truck has 119K miles on it. all stock.

wiseguy

Reaction score
if 6.4 has contribution fault 95% of the time it is internal engine related=low compression /bad valvetrain. 119k 6.4 probably needs overhauled . CHECK COMPRESSION

78f100

Reaction score
You should do a compression test on that cylinder. I see very few with bad injectors. Thats a cyl 7 contribution/balance fault, most likely a piston but a bad injector is possible.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
My advice on 6.4's is if they have ANY misfire/contribution/etc. codes, treat it as if you're going to have to put another engine in it...

if it's just an injector, have them put an injector in it before you buy it.

My king ranch had zero codes and a very VERY slight miss. ended up being a bent rod and a damaged cylinder wall from the piston gouging against it at the pinch point of the bent rod.

you can roll the dice on a 6.0, but a 6.4 can put you in the hole VERY quickly if you don't buy it right

TRUBBS

Reaction score
thanks for the advice guys.
guy says its a one owener truck, says he owns a body shop and will buy/sell trucks that need body work.
his story is his buddy was the only owner of this truck, one day it lost power and limp modes, drove it home and parked it, had a buddy come look at it and scanned it to find the code. buddy took it to the dealer to trade it in on a new 6.7 but the dealer wouldnt give him what he wanted so he offered it to this guy who now has it and is going to sell it cuz he dont have the time or money to mess with a diesel...

TRUBBS

Reaction score
anyone else have anything else to add before i go down and look at it in person today?

any easy way to check compression without really digging into it?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
My advice on 6.4's is if they have ANY misfire/contribution/etc. codes, treat it as if you're going to have to put another engine in it...

if it's just an injector, have them put an injector in it before you buy it.

My king ranch had zero codes and a very VERY slight miss. ended up being a bent rod and a damaged cylinder wall from the piston gouging against it at the pinch point of the bent rod.

you can roll the dice on a 6.0, but a 6.4 can put you in the hole VERY quickly if you don't buy it right

This is the key point

Dzchey21

Reaction score
anyone else have anything else to add before i go down and look at it in person today?

any easy way to check compression without really digging into it?

run it with the oil fill off, if it puffs its got a bad cylinder, if its smooth then it might just need an injector but as stated treat it as it needs an engine.

TRUBBS

Reaction score
This is the key point

run it with the oil fill off, if it puffs its got a bad cylinder, if its smooth then it might just need an injector but as stated treat it as it needs an engine.

yeah im planning on treating it as if it needs a whole new engine, but if it does, im not sure if its worth buying, trying to decide that.

TRUBBS

Reaction score
I just looked at it, started right up, no blowby (not even the normal 6.5 amount-although it was on cold engine)
Has a hard idle once it hits on cyl 7 (have a video on my phone)
And has a raw fuel smell like a cold start OBS.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.