Looking at a 6.4 tomorrow.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Should i be looking for anything specific its a 2008 xlt 4x4 ext cab 164k on the clock. Don't know much about them this one looks to be in bone stock form and was a fleet vehicle. Doesn't look like it was abused too much. Any ideas on what to look for would be helpful

713Diesel

Reaction score
I would look at the exhaust pipe upon initial start up and see if any smoke comes out. On a stock truck with all the emissions stuff I believe it should be clear. Make sure it hasn't been conveniently been warmed up for you when they do start it up. There is also an option on the gauge cluster to have a "test" or "system check" or something along those lines that it will go through a few things in the display and show how many hours are on it. There has been some talk going back and forth on if you have X amount of miles there should be approximately X hours. If the hours don't line up with the miles it might be from idling too long which from what I have read can cause some damage on a non DPF deleted truck. I would ask the guy how often he does oil changes. Obviously you will have to take his word on this. Anything over 5k on a stock truck is not good due to the amount of fuel that can get into the oil on regens. Also ask him if he has changes the diff fluid, trans fluid and coolant. Seeing that it was a fleet vehicle most but not all places stretch maintenance intervals longer than they should. Also figure out what kind of fleet vehicle it was. If it was an in town delivery truck there is a pretty good change that a good chunk of the miles are city and it has been idled a bunch

Unless the price is just a super great deal I would be hesitant to buy a truck that had all the emissions (DPF) equipment still on it. I would keep the thought in the back of my mind that there would be a good possibility that in the foreseeable future you might need a new engine. Not trying to scare you away from it but all of this is just my .02.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
He is asking 13700 for it I have read about the radiators that like to leak and front cover cavitation I don't know what type of fleet vehicle it was. I also read you are supposed to use the severe duty intervals on these motors the thing looks to be in amazing shape honestly but I'll know for sure tomorrow. Anything else that needs to be addressed egr system problems? Ect..

713Diesel

Reaction score
Look at the degas bottle under the hood. If there is any residue from any coolant usually means that the head gaskets are blown. Like I said before I am not trying to scare you away or anything but with that many miles with the DPF still on it and if the maintenance wasn't done very well I would be worried about the motor going out on it. I think after you get a new long block, the cab pulled and the new motor installed you are talking about a $10k+ job. Obviously I am pointing out worst case scenario but you will have to decide if the risk is worth the reward. Based on KBB with the normal options on that truck it is worth around 17K. Usually when folks sell their car they use this as a base line. My question would be why is he only asking 13,700? Is he looking to get rid of a problem? I am a skeptical person is my issue and I like to buy new so my view point is biased.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
From what I gather from the mechanic that is doing the work on the truck is someone hacked up the wiring pretty good on it. It had all been fixed now but there have been two or three minor things that have popped up on it sensors and such. I'm very skeptical about it myself I trust the mechanic known him for quite a few years now. Dunno why so cheap.. I think he bought it on a whim and is just trying to unload it cause the original buyer didn't follow through

Latest posts

Members online