Looking at used 6.4's

Cody

Reaction score
Alright the time has came I'm starting to look at 6.4's..

I tried to search for a thread like this but no luck, maybe I'm just tired

I'm familiar with 7.3s not all this fancy emissions ****!

What do I want to look for on a 6.4? I'm looking at trucks under or right over a 100k miles.. Prefer a stock truck not something someone hot rodded around in.

Or do I want something with the deletes?

I know something about job 1 and job 2's what's preferred? What's different ect

As far as I plan on going with truck is deletes and a tuner

I don't want to have to lift the cab lol.. And go crazy with it I just want a nice driver I'm over watching gauges constantly and worried is today the day I throw a rod?

If I bought a stock truck what should be the first thing I do?

Delete egr

fallowed by dpf?

Do you have to have a tuner to delete egr?

Any other insight from you guys?

Like I said sorry I'm new to all this lol.. If I'm missing anything else please chime in!

Stroked777

Reaction score
Usually the dpf, the egr is shut off thru tuning and don't really need to get rid of it right away, for a tuner I would go with h&s or SCT for custom tunes. Everyone like the h&s shifting better and with both mention you can get Gearhead tunes

08stroker350

Reaction score
Buy something bone stock. Get an H&S mini max which will turn off the EGR and pick and exhaust and cold air intake you like... Later on down the line do a full EGR delete.

You will not regret it !

:ford:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
imho it just depends, i have seen them break engines before 100k even stock, and ive seen them go 250k with little problems stock, same thing with tuned. They are just the luck of the draw if you ask me. look for obvious damage, coolant puking ect but there is no way to know piston condition ect.

I would def want oil change records showing no more than 5k mile oil changes ever, pretty common to have fuel in the oil from regens and thats not very good on bearings

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Seems like there wore out by then. Mine has 140k. Went in to do head gaskets and ended up replacing everything else to cause it was all wore out. Front cover, lifters, rockers, heads, alternator, HPFP, studs plus a bunch of other hot rod parts..

Sideswipe505

Reaction score
Get it compression tested before you buy. I just learned that the hard way. Mine melted a piston this past week. It was probably already ***ed when I bought it but the problem just surfaced.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online