Looking for intercooler pipe pictures

birdco85

Reaction score
Like the title, I'm building my pipes finally and I'm having a hard time figuring our where to bend the ac lines, ps lines, reroute heater lines and such. Does anyone have some high def pictures of looking down into their engine compartment on both sides? This kinda seems like is gonna be a pain in the a$$.

Also, the guys that have done it, did you do a small "s"bend in the hot side pipe to clear the AC compressor? Or just let it touch it? I Have the e99 spyder btw.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Droid RAZR because I told it to...

jwlandry

Reaction score
I just finished my pipes today. They are drying right now with paint.

I took 2 sets of factory 7.3 pipes and made mine. I didn't reroute anything other than some persuading on the power steering line. I'm hoping to get them installed tomorrow or so and I'll try and get you some pics.

birdco85

Reaction score
Bump. Thanks for the pics that have been sent to me already

birdco85

Reaction score
Yes I did thank you. I still am wondering about what i want to do. I stood and looked at my truck yesterday for probablyan hour. I'll get to it. Haha

jwlandry

Reaction score
Here's mine.

Passenger side at intercooler
20130124_083111.jpg

Don't mind the mismatched boot. I can't find the one I ordered.
20130124_083102.jpg

20130124_083045.jpg

This was a factory dent in the stock pipe. When I built them I made sure this was by the ac compressor so it would clear.
20130124_083154.jpg

Bottom driver side
20130124_083143.jpg

I took 2 factory 7.3 sets and made 1 OBS set. I had a factory passenger side pipe left untouched when I finished.

Last edited:

birdco85

Reaction score
Those look good. Thanks. Definitely answers some questions about how short the pipes need to be where they connect to the intercooler. I bought the riff raff boot set so i probably need to cut the boot down a little at the intercooler cuz they are way longer then yours. Thanks again!

birdco85

Reaction score
What brand is your pipe kit? The turbo outlet looks custom

birdco85

Reaction score
So finally got to start, been pretty busy, got both sides tacked up. I've seen a lot of peoples pipes that they just use a piece of straight out of the spyder. I don't know how they use that because on mine it would have been a pretty severe dent to clear the AC compressor. Anywho, here's a couple of pics because we all like pics:D

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359536857262.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359536857262.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 83
  • uploadfromtaptalk1359536896592.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359536896592.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 81

JCart

Reaction score
So I'd benefit from moving it from the intake plentum where it is now?

Yes....

I think the idea of having the MAP signal created pre intercooler (and therefore just after the turbo), is to pick up boost before it crossed the IC (as you lose a couple of PSI and lag too, as charge crosses the cooler). My rudimentary understanding of the MAP function is it sends a signal to the PCM to aid in determining injector fueling and not sure what else (please correct me here if I'm off base here guys). So the sooner the PCM "sees" pressure signals it can adapt faster and more accurately (relatively post IC) On my truck it made a SOP difference in throttle response, spool time and better fuel mileage.

jrc

Last edited:

birdco85

Reaction score
Well i finished. I never realized how hard it was to weld thin metal. Burned through a couple times but got it done. Here they are unpainted and i haven't taken the grinder to them yet with.

And an intercooler makes a huge difference. With my hybrids and no intercooler i could peg my egt gauge in no time. Now floored it hits about 1450 after a little while and doesn't go higher. And I only stayed there for about 10 seconds then slowed down.

Thanks for all your help.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359683681680.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359683681680.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 69

birdco85

Reaction score
How else are you supposed to do it? A bunch of boots and clamps?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.