Looking for specifics - 33gal bronco tank

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
OK guys. I tried searching Google and here to no avail with nothing concrete. What's needed for a bronco rear tank swap? I've heard I'm gonna need a new bronco fill tube... but nothing concrete.. I would do the f26e tank.... but I'd much rather lose a few gallons and have a poly tank that won't ever rot out on me.

Thanks in advance

danielzink

Reaction score

old man dave

Reaction score
There's two different Bronco tanks, the gauge hole size is different One size is the same as an OBS. Up to 1989, there are two fuel gauge sizes listed. 1990 and up, full sized Broncos list only one tank.

DieselJim does mention painting the tank......

The 4 different brands of 1990 33 gallon Bronco tanks listed at RockAuto.com, including the Spectra Premium F8D either say they are steel construction or look like it.

Last edited:

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score

Cool. Somehow i missed that. thanks.

There's two different Bronco tanks, the gauge hole size is different One size is the same as an OBS. Up to 1989, there are two fuel gauge sizes listed. 1990 and up, full sized Broncos list only one tank.

DieselJim does mention painting the tank......

The 4 different brands of 1990 33 gallon Bronco tanks listed at RockAuto.com, including the Spectra Premium F8D either say they are steel construction or look like it.

Awesome. Thanks dude. I'll look into this some more

Nodge

Reaction score
I used the 38 gallon tank, and put on a seriously thick coating of rubberized rocker gaurd. (About 4 big rattle cans worth)

Poly is nice, but I've had a poly one rub through with a stone stuck in between the rear tank and the skid plate, and have had the same happen to a steel one.

Good luck with your choice and swap.
Either way more fuel is better.

old man dave

Reaction score
The 1990 and newer Bronco and F-series tanks have the same size senders 3-5/8". the earlier ones have either 2" or 3-5/8".

The 1988 F-250 351 has a steel 38 gallon tank, Spectra Premium F26E. this is the 38 gallon tank used for swaps. It sticks down below the frame about 5-1/2" and can have the spare mounted under it if you extend the spare rack bolt.

I got one from RockAuto.com and one from Amazon.

Last edited:

DZL JIM

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and pass on the bronco tank and go with the 38 gallon F26E tank from rock auto. Fits better, gets you more fuel, and you can still make your spare tire fit. Can't hang a spare under there with the bronco tank.

pt_ranger_v8

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and pass on the bronco tank and go with the 38 gallon F26E tank from rock auto. Fits better, gets you more fuel, and you can still make your spare tire fit. Can't hang a spare under there with the bronco tank.

Why pass on the bronco tank? I would think poly would be better than steel, hanging way down there on an OBS, at the end of an 8' bed. :shrug:

Though, the extra 5 gals, and ~$10-20 cheaper isn't a bad thing at all. Cause if you're filling a 33-38 gallon tank at the pump, you're gonna use all that money anyway :flipa:

oneton

Reaction score
how are ya'll getting the sending unit plug off?what has anyone done about the sock/screen coming off the pickup tube?

Latest posts

Members online