Lope on startup

ved0303

Reaction score
Hey everyone I am new to the forum. Things got pretty quiet at powerstroke nation so I'm hoping there is more action here!
Anyways, my '97 will lope on start-up almost every time, warm or cold. If you give it some throttle and hold it at a steady RPM for a few seconds then let off, it will then drop down to 450-500 rpm for a couple of seconds and then come back and idle normal for the rest of the drive. Any ideas what this could be? This is the only symptom. I have had the truck for almost two years and it has only started doing this in the last couple of months. It has a little over 200,000 on it. Any ideas? It is just really annoying right now and I am afraid it will eventually turn into a bigger problem...

dm83

Reaction score
Have you had any luck with finding the root cause of this problem? I am experiencing a very similiar issue.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Possibly the cps, or maybe the vss, bad icp sensor, I think I even read about a trans sensor on obs trucks causing lope on startup

ghohouston

Reaction score
Unplug your icp sensor and look for oil in the connector, if wet, its bad, replace the icp sensor, you also may try starting with the sensor unplugged and see if it goes away

Reaction score
Are you running the Auto PCM with the ZF-5 speed? I've heard of some issues when doing that. With an auto trans truck, if you start the truck in neutral and it doesn't lope, it could be the Transmission Range Sensor. Cheers!

ghohouston

Reaction score
Are you running the Auto PCM with the ZF-5 speed? I've heard of some issues when doing that. With an auto trans truck, if you start the truck in neutral and it doesn't lope, it could be the Transmission Range Sensor. Cheers!

Thank you, trans range sensor is what I was thinking of

ved0303

Reaction score
So I ruled out the the transmission range sensor. I also changed the cps with no change. But the local Ford dealership was able to plug in their fancy machine thing and run some tests for free. They were not able to figure out the exact problem but they were able to rule out a lot of stuff, which was nice because a lot of the things they ruled out were the super expensive things... So I'm still dealing with the problem but at least I'm narrowing in. Hopefully this will help anyone else who might be having the same problem!

yzrmbsg

Reaction score
Mine does this in the cold, never had it do it when its warm, I think it may be due to glow plugs or hpop going out. Did your dealer rule those 2 out?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online