Lots of white smoke

rl14776

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just got set up on this forum.

I have a bone stock 04 f250 6.0 with 130k ish miles.

I've had problems with my egr sticking and have rebuild/cleaned it a couple times.

Just pulled my camper across Iowa on a 65 degree day and started smelling coolant about 10 miles before my destination. Pulled over and saw some coolant comming out of the top of my reservoir. No loss of power or rough idle.

After the truck sat for about 20 minutes I noticed lots of white smoke at idle, does this mean my egr cooler is now junk?

Also if I do an EGR delete and use my truck for "off road only" does the whole "delete" include deleting my cooler?

Twinboys

Reaction score
Hopefully it is your egr cooler and not head gaskets. A delete kit blocks the flow of exhaust gasses which renders your egr valve vestigial. The cooler itself is deleted and replaced with a simple tube to route the coolant where it went before. Be sure to replace your oil cooler. Recommend switching to cat ec-1 coolant and adding a coolant filter.

rl14776

Reaction score
Ok, thanks. If I unplug my egr, which I've done before, will coolant still be introduced into the engine? Just trying to figure out if I'm gonna mess anything up too bad pulling my camper home

rl14776

Reaction score
Unplugging it when the engine is off, which should be the closed position, right?

rl14776

Reaction score
20150708_111839_zpsruh8hjvt.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

Also seeing coolant under the exhaust side of the turbo. Not sure if it's dripping down from there or pooling up from underneath

78f100

Reaction score
The coolant is leaking out of the exhaust housing of the turbo or the clamp at the egr cooler.. Basically your egr cooler is leaking coolant into the up pipes, then it runs into the exhaust manifold, and even into the cylinders. When you start the truck it's blowing coolant and exhaust into the turbo. You will need to do a egr delete and oil cooler at least, very soon.

rl14776

Reaction score
78f100-thank you.

Let me ask you this... I'm 40 miles from home and don't have a trailer to tow it. If I keep plenty of water with me and keep my reservoir full should I be okay?

I say water cause it'll b cheaper than 5 or so gallons of gold coolant.

Our will the water cause more damage?

rl14776

Reaction score
Ok. Haven't driven it since last post... Looking for a way to determine if it's Head gaskets and egr cooler, or just the cooler.... Any ideas?
Without taking it to a shop that is

rl14776

Reaction score
K, got everything ready to bubble test.... Truck hydrolocked.....

Do I have to pull all the plugs and flush the cylinders out now?

I pulled my egr and checked it out before I started... Looked wet and sooty.
ATTACH]

Latest posts

Members online