Loud whining sound

campnfireman

Reaction score
I have a 2006 f350. I've been hearing a loud whining nose for a few weeks. The sound is getting louder and more annoying. It starts at about 1200 rpms and gets worse the higher the rpms go. If I let off the throttle it goes away. I'm at a loss right now and starting to go into panic mode. I tried to record the sound but it's kind of hard to hear. I'll see if I can get a better one somehow.

morepower02

Reaction score
Good luck. I have an 05 that developed the same thing about 7 years ago. Annoying driving thru towns but running wise never had a issue. 1200 to about 2000 sounds like a tornado siren under the hood.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
A boost leak would be a possibility. Build yourself a tester and pressurize it to around 20 lbs. A easy cheap way is to get a PVC cap that fits into your intercooler boot at the turbo outlet and drill it for a tire valve stem.

YoungMT Hick

Reaction score
This is very similar to my up pipe bellows leak. As the exhaust back pressure builds the leak will make more noise. Look for any bit of black soot on the firewall or turbo. Tighten any clamps you can.

I initially thought it was an idler bearing but it was not. all were tight and even lubed them with wd40 and had no change.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.