Low icp at idle

Reaction score
Hello there. This is my first post here so bear with me. I recently resealed my oil pan and front cover. Now of course I wasn't going to install the engine stock so I went with an s366 along with Irates complete kit. Arp head studs. Melling lpop. And rosewood 180/100 injectors. I already had an adrenaline hpop and electric fuel. I've put close to 700 miles since I got the truck running again and about 200 in the built transmission lol!!! I'm having issues with my icp psi. At idle it ranges from 430-480 and occasionally drops to 390 and rpms will drop below 600 when coming to a stop both coasting and if I just got on it. When I put the truck into reverse or drive my truck acts like it wants to stall and same when icp drops. Rpms range from 630-700. My hpop spiked 3700 yesterday but I let out of it once it started going down. I'm running php tunes if that matters. Would this be an ipr issue? Icp plug is oil free and not very old. I changed the cps with no change. Ebp is reading about 50psi at idle and hard into it reads over 100psi. It's a new sensor and tube. Not sure if my sct is reading correct numbers since it's not sending any icp % at all. Be nice to have this issue fixed by sdx16 Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I dont think the SCT reads correct from the EBP gauge(or maybe it does, but Im not sure what units/scale). I remember trying to use one I had when I was having trouble with AE, and being frustrated with similar results. I ended up buying one of these in the meantime because they are stupid cheap and easier to use than AE.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006NZTZLQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What is your IPR duty cycle at idle? Mine was higher then normal, ~18% but other than that and a slightly choppy idle even with an updated tune, the truck ran great. I ended up borrowing a new IPR from a friend, and it fixed it so I replaced his. Fixed both the choppy idle and now duty cycle at idle is ~10-12% IIRC.

Unless your duty cycle is incredibly high, your tuning is probably calling for ~450 or so psi at idle.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Well I would highly recommend one of those OBD adapters. Its one of the ones that can do advanced gm/ford/chrysler IIRC and its only $80. Best d@mn $80 you can spend. I have advanced AE also, and Ive had it for years, and just dont use it enough for it to be something I can go back to once or twice a year.

Reaction score
I have a buddy that said he can hook his computer up to it this week sometime. My ipr should be here tomorrow forme diesel orings

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Usually somewhere in the ~10-12% region when warmed up. Depends on the pump, injectors and desired ICP

EDIT: Almost forgot, EOT plays into it too. Usually a little higher when cold.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you, now could this have anything to do with the front cover installed incorrectly? I'd like to think not knowing nothing was changed other than some gaskets.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
If you are getting a CEL, its most likely because on a hot tune, the HPOP cannot keep up with the 180/100 A code injectors. I would imagine on a tow or lighter tune it does just fine. Would be good to see duty cycle at idle warmed up and duty cycle and ICP at the same time on a WOT run. You said it spiked and came down, that means its not keeping up.

As far as the idle ICP being so low, it could cause it to stall like you've described. Once we know a little more about your IPR DC, we can possibly suggest asking for a tuning update. At which point youll need to contact whoever wrote your tuning, and have them adjust them as needed, based off of your information.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Is it full of oil? And is the oil aerated? Both of these will cause issues, and seeing as you just did a chit load of work to the oil system, probably a good place to start.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Good suggestion. I often forget to say that, I assume people already have looked at their oil. I check mine all the time after and changes. Problems can always show up in the oil.

Reaction score
Not yet, I'll see I'm Saturday for sure and I'll ask him when he thinks he can get too it. I know he's been real busy with his 7 tree drag truck

mikeeg02

Reaction score
It may load the motor more at idle in gear. If it's in neutral or park it wouldn't make a difference. Any data for us yet ?

Reaction score
I'll be getting it this week for sure. I do know my stall is dropped 500. Trucks been running fine. Just my main concern is why idle drops so much when going from park or neutral to a drive gear. Hasn't died on me for awhile now. And my cel only came on when I was in it hard for awhile. But I'll still be getting data this week either way

BAMF0816

Reaction score
i had similar issues with the motor loading up at idle when i changed my stock t.c. to a P.I.. sometime shortly after i then lost or smoked reverse. During all this, i had an unnecessary mod on my truck. My fault for thinking more is better.

I had an external transmission filter on my truck. And when i went to get my built trans installed, the "somewhat reputable" builder ripped that junk off my truck and said that the reason for the exact characteristics you(OP) described is because of too much restriction in the system or an imbalance.

Now idk if you have an external filter, if you didnt have pump mods(?) done with the rest of your built trans, or if the tuning(as stated above) is wrong and the pump pressures need to be changed(idk, if that is possible or even the right terminology).
i'm just letting you know of my experience.

good luck. keep us informed.

Latest posts

Members online