LPO Dropping on Drag Truck

dthompson

Reaction score
Ok, truck has 350/400's from unlimited and a srp1 pump but anyway upon acceleration the low pressure oil drops significantly. I know that I've seen others have this issue. Been told possibly blew a galley plug out the rear of the engine. Any other possible options? Thanks guys.

DW Adam

Reaction score
Sounds like the hpop is starving for oil. DieselSite and Melling make lpop's that flow more oil. Your stock one can't keep up with the demand.

dthompson

Reaction score
I've got a melling pump from another project so I guess I'll start there probably. Just thought I'd check to see if there was something else.

dthompson

Reaction score
Alright, going to try to do lpop in the next few days, but have noticed that when the engine is cold it's worse like almost no pressure even at idle. As it warms up it's better. But even sitting there once you give it any throttle the pressure falls off. Doesn't seem like the pump would have these symptoms. Am I wrong? Why is there more pressure with hot oil. I'm wondering about the galley plugs on the back of the engine....

ghohouston

Reaction score
^the gallery plugs have been brought up a few times on here, where they were left out on a rebuild, and would cause some issues. Don't remember if the trucks would even start when that happened though.

dthompson

Reaction score
Ok, I decided to toss a manual gauge on it. Plumbed into the port on the oil cooler and truck has 50psi at idle and up to 75 under throttle when warm.

mandkole

Reaction score
Would agree the dash gauge or sender is not happy. Have you plugged the manual gauge into the reservoir to confirm?

spongebob915

Reaction score
check oil pressure at the top of engine. Oil switch opens around 7-10 psi . So if your way above that at the top of motor you are probably goob

Latest posts

Members online