Lpop won't stay primed...

Reaction score
This a long story but I had my motor built about 2 years ago and on first startup the truck would run but was not showing much lpo. Turned out it was a missing check valve or ball in the oil cooler. Put a cooler on that worked and all was well. The truck had a bad shake to it from day one. Then it broke the trans case. Swapped everything over to new case back on the rd still vibrating and shaking. Thought we had fuel pressure issue cause anything over half throttle the truck would lose all power but if you stay in the throttle after a few sec it would come back to life but running even more rough. Thought injectors could be the issue. Had holders redo my 300/400's and at the same time go back to a 200% nozzle. It didn't change a thing. I was running a hbJr at the time and it would only maintain around 2000 psi. I had Jon build me a hb Sr. Same result. Fuel pressure is holding at 68 psi. So I thought ok maybe when it cuts out at wot it's draining the reservoir. So I put a T on my oil supply to the turbo and ran it to the res. No more cutting out at wot but the power was just not there like it should be. Then randomly I went to start it one time after it had already been running not long before and nothing. No lpo. Ipr was maxed out making only 74 psi. I got another melling lpop put it on truck fired up but when i shut it off it lost prime. I can fill the res and make it start but only till it empties the res. I over filled it with oil jacked the back up thinking maybe pickup was cracked still nothing. Pulled the pump back out packed it full of vaseline and tried again. Fired right up. this time I was able to drive it up the rd and it ran just smooth as can be no shaking vibrating nothing. Cut it off restarted it a few times thought I had it fixed. then let it set about 30 min went to restart it and now nothing it's lost prime again. Is there anything check valve related that I should check before I pull the motor back out and check the pickup tube and the timing cover? My vibration has to be oil related or it would not have smoothed out with this new pump. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
When it does start, what is your LPO? Maybe scored timing cover, pickup tube gasket, internally cracked/leaking timing cover or someone did a switch-a-roo with the timing cover. I believe there are a few different timing covers which are different internally. Match the block number to the timing cover.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Reaction score
Have not yet checked pressure with a gauge. It won't stay running long enough. And I have to pull the pump every time and repack it with vaseline to get it to start. I do wonder if the timing cover is any good. The whole reason I pulled the motor 2 years ago was cause beans cracked the cover and filled it with jb weld and didn't tell me. So when I found that I had to pull it anyway. It was already a built motor I just decided to go bigger while it was out. Bean was supposed to give dynoproven a brand new cover to put on it cause I showed my ass but I'm starting to wonder if that happened or i got yet another damaged cover.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Have not yet checked pressure with a gauge. It won't stay running long enough. And I have to pull the pump every time and repack it with vaseline to get it to start. I do wonder if the timing cover is any good. The whole reason I pulled the motor 2 years ago was cause beans cracked the cover and filled it with jb weld and didn't tell me. So when I found that I had to pull it anyway. It was already a built motor I just decided to go bigger while it was out. Bean was supposed to give dynoproven a brand new cover to put on it cause I showed my ass but I'm starting to wonder if that happened or i got yet another damaged cover.

Ahhhhh, now it's making sense....you left out a very important statement about the timing cover.....you need to confirm if the timing cover was ever replaced or you'll be pissing in the wind trying to find your issue.

Really....JB Weld the timing cover

Billy T.
[email protected]

Reaction score
Yep jb weld. This cover on it now is deff a different cover from the one beans customized with jb weld. Cause it was cracked up where the res is. But I don't know if I got another used cover or a new one like I was told I would. I have a pic of that jb weld somewhere I'll try to find it.

Reaction score
Here ya go. Now that's how you fix a cracked timing cover.

Attachments

• IMAG0131.jpg
    IMAG0131.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 80

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
what about the wear sleeve/ring on the crank damper...have you installed a new one with the pump? Im assuming when ya put the new pump in it had a new housing and front seal with it...but a lot of the times the wear sleeve has to be purchased separately and I always get em from Ford...aftermarket ones seem to not fit well. If nothing has been done with the damper then the pump could be sucking air through the seal causing it to lose prime...the vaseline would be thick enough to overcome the leak and start...something to look at.

Reaction score
To be honest I didn't know there was a wear sleeve on the damper. I did switch mine out with a known good pulley when it was running and I was searching for the vibration. But it was a used damper.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.