Mac for MCC?

Notneb

Reaction score
I ran into some weirdness like that when I first got my mini. I finally formatted the card (FAT), full format not quick. Then it worked.

How many SD cards do you have on hand? Might try another one, formatting it like Corey said, then see where you're at. I've never seen that issue, and I use an XRT on my cummins, and used a Mini Maxx in my 2012 PSD. In fact I just updated my XRT, still no issues. I highly recommend getting a backup card, just in case.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
no, the tuner is never plugged in/synched to a computer. you save files to the SD card and the card is inserted into the tuner.

it's spoiled me to updating any other tuner. it's the simplest tuner to update. no proprietary "updater" program or drivers to download/install/etc.

just paste files to an SD card and roll
Then why run windows at all then if all your doing is copying the file and pasting it to the SD Card?

torque beast

Reaction score
Had to format and do it manually but all is good. May be because I had not updated it since moby dick was a minnow. This Windows 7 runs A LOT faster than vista

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I bought a PC just for MCC, SCT, AE and IDS. It only goes D into the web when needed and it's lasted longer than my other PCs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Then why run windows at all then if all your doing is copying the file and pasting it to the SD Card?

Because the MCC program (and every other automotive-centered software on planet earth) is Windows based.

MAC is for people who aren't the slightest bit computer literate. They have great user-friendly products. The entire art world lives on mac products.

But for someone who grew up on PC, trying to use a mac is akin to an engineer trying to have an intelligent conversation with... well... an artist.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I disagree. I switched from a PC to a MAC. Much easier to use. I built my PCs prior to the switch. PCs are so far behind on speed etc. it's pathetic. The only thing I have not been able to run is vehicle programming software that I used to on a PC reason to keep my old laptop.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

Notneb

Reaction score
I disagree. I switched from a PC to a MAC. Much easier to use. I built my PCs prior to the switch. PCs are so far behind on speed etc. it's pathetic. The only thing I have not been able to run is vehicle programming software that I used to on a PC reason to keep my old laptop.

Sorry I have a hard time believing you built PC's, when you say they're behind on speed... I'm sitting at 5ghz stable on a 6 year old rig, and I'm $1k under the fastest current Mac's...

Mac's are great for people who don't want to hassle with parameters or over locking, but they'll never be faster than a custom built PC, that's just a fact.

But this is getting off topic. OP has already made his decision :p Now we just need to figure out what's causing his error!

tbsimmons

Reaction score
That's fine believe what you want. MACs don't need a processor as fast as a PC to be faster. One of the reasons is no bs running in the background.
The last PC I built was about 6 years ago and switched to MACs about 4 years ago. You are not only lost but wrong on MACs. One example it memory hog programs like Lightroom or photoshop.

Notneb

Reaction score
That's fine believe what you want. MACs don't need a processor as fast as a PC to be faster. One of the reasons is no bs running in the background.
The last PC I built was about 6 years ago and switched to MACs about 4 years ago. You are not only lost but wrong on MACs. One example it memory hog programs like Lightroom or photoshop.

If you're losing significant speed due to background programs... I'm just trying to figure out how the hell you built a PC with no RAM lol. Like I said, my main rig is 6 years old, the RAM, processor, MB, and SSD are all 6 years old. See if you have a background drain, turn it off... That's the beauty of PC's is you are in charge of EVERYTHING. And we're ignoring the real reason why PC will always beat Mac: upgrade-ability. Oh my RAM isn't cutting it? Buy new sticks! Oh my HD is full? Slap a bigger one in. You get the idea. I'm in no way saying Macs aren't a bad product, just that they are geared more to the user who doesn't want to mess with anything. It's the perfect "idiot proof" computer. If I wasn't obsessed with micro-managing every aspect of my machine, I'd probably have a Mac.

I'm just saying that your statement of: PC's are behind Mac's in speed, is false. That statement only ends in one answer: You didn't build it right. There's a reason high end rendering is done on PC rigs. And this is not in anyway me trying to insult or belittle you btw, I'm sharing knowledge from what I do for a living, just as I would expect you to set me straight on anything related to the oil industry!

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I don't remember the specs of my last build I never stated anything about it so saying no Ram is false. When I started doing photography stuff the off the shelf MAC I used from a Friend destroyed mine in speed on editing. Didn't build it right well at the time it was a lot of money in parts when I could have just bought a MAC for less. You can add stuff on MACs. I did on mine. More RAM. I don't remember the numbers on the last PC I had since I bought 2 MACs since then. If you are talking high end and not for the normal user then yes you can build a fast PC. But saying it is faster I don't believe. Just like a car more money more HP. For a normal user and builder a PC is no where close to a MAC. Most people wouldn't notice because of just running Internet and Office.

Notneb

Reaction score
You said background programs were slowing your rig down, aka RAM. If we're comparing OTS stuff like Dell, HP, etc. then it's like comparing lambo's and ferarri's. Do they do the same thing? yes Does one look better, sound better, bla bla bla than the other: Depends on who you're talking to.

I guess I made the mistake of just assuming that when anyone says: "I built computers" that they built a top end rig, hence my confusion at your blanket statement of: Mac's are so much faster than PC's.

I'm just trying to say, for the price of a top of the line Mac, I can build a PC that would embarrass it. Look at it like this: Compare a 5.9 Cummins aftermarket vs a 6.7 PSD aftermarket. That's PC and Mac. I can get 1500hp out of my cummins WAY cheaper than if I tried to get anywhere near in my 6.7.

That being said, which one is more user friendly, which one is more comfy? Wait... that means I like driving a Mac...

Last edited:

Notneb

Reaction score
Also OP: Sorry for derailing the hell out of your post. Any updates on the SD card format suggestion?

torque beast

Reaction score
Also OP: Sorry for derailing the hell out of your post. Any updates on the SD card format suggestion?

No big deal, I'm learning as you guys fight so carry on. I dedicated this laptop to tuning only after I installed Windows 7 but am looking to get a new one soon so I will hold off while I learn some more. I did format my SD card but ended up having to do a manual load but I have it working and all is good. Appreciate all the help.

Notneb

Reaction score
No big deal, I'm learning as you guys fight so carry on. I dedicated this laptop to tuning only after I installed Windows 7 but am looking to get a new one soon so I will hold off while I learn some more. I did format my SD card but ended up having to do a manual load but I have it working and all is good. Appreciate all the help.

Glad you're back up and running!

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Question:
Will 4GB of RAM do more or less on a PC or a MAC?
My answer, you need more RAM on a PC to do the same type of stuff on a MAC.
Same question with processor size?
My answer, same as above, need a faster processor on a PC than a MAC for the same stuff.
Reason on both, crap that runs on a PC that does need to run on a MAC.

Notneb

Reaction score
Question:
Will 4GB of RAM do more or less on a PC or a MAC?
My answer, you need more RAM on a PC to do the same type of stuff on a MAC.
Same question with processor size?
My answer, same as above, need a faster processor on a PC than a MAC for the same stuff.
Reason on both, crap that runs on a PC that does need to run on a MAC.

Simple answer: They will do the same job on the same rig. What you're talking about is an Operating System's allowed background processes. This is why people think Mac's are better than PC, because exactly what you said. The Mac OS is designed to run smart for the average user. Aka if the user isn't actively using a program, or anything related to that program, the OS won't allow it to run in the background.

You're not comparing PC vs Mac, you're comparing Windows vs Mac. If you want to do that, then I agree completely, Mac is a better OS than Windows, in almost every way. The only thing I would argue different is Windows 7 just because I can turn off anything I don't want with Win 7. But again to the average user, Mac will run faster.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I thought Windows vs MAC was the debate not another system say Linux or something. Now the people that could get that performance went from 10 to 1 PC to MAC (I am guessing here, but I bet the number is less if you took businesses out of it) to say 1000 to 1 (Again another guess) of the PC's running anything but Windows.

Notneb

Reaction score
Actually Linux is the preferred PC OS, Windows is just the user friendly option lol, Windows is the "Mac" version of Linux, lol. And no, the debate is PC vs Mac. There is no OS options with a Mac so it gets generalized.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.