MAF question

U235a4

Reaction score
WAM, since you have a 05 you have either a IAT1 or a MAF (which also contains a IAT1) I've included a picture of the 05 running change that is a IAT1 only( does yours look like this) if it does look like the setup in the picture then you only have a IAT1 (intake air tempature sensor 1) and the ECM may only show 4G/s at all times. Now if you have a 6 wire MAF sensor then your G/s readings can be 30G/s idle and over 350G/s during WOT on a stock truck. Mine personally read 31-32G/s idle and upto 440G/s WOT. In the old Strategys MAF was only used for EGR operation but with the newer strategys an increased importance in placed on MAF as it's used along with MAP, BARO, EOT to inferre EBP. also MAF is used in comparison calculations against MAP to make sure things are within limits. If one uses a oil based filter and a newer inferred strategy it's always good to make sure your MAF sensor is clean. I use electrical contact cleaner to clean mine every year so to keep the oil film off. One of the reasons Ford brought the MAF back in 06 was due to newer inferred strategys and it's importance of use. well thats just my two cents of what I've learned researching this over time and a may have missed a few tidbits.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 75

what a mess

Reaction score
yea i have the maf sensor and so mabey i should clean it! hmm who knows heh ive heard you do and you dont need it so in a little confusing:swordfight::swordfight:

U235a4

Reaction score
WAM, you can try cleaning it but if it still stays at 4g/s (I'm assuming your watching the mass air flow pid in a edge insight). as for the you do and don't need it really depends on what strategy you have. the older vxcf4 strats only use it for EGR operation. The newer strategys it plays a much bigger role in engine management not just EGR operation.

05PSD

Reaction score
So what limitations (if any) do the 05 trucks without MAFs have? Are they able to run the later inferred flashes without a MAF?

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
Shop manuals don't say **** about it, but wiring diagrams state early production has MAF and IAT together in one sensor and Late production have IAT as a seperate sensor. Doesn't list any dates.

Well I can't see it being a MAF power circuit issue because it also powers the pcm, glow plug relay module, fan clutch, IPR and a couple other things.

If these wire colours are correct, you can check these things.
Unplug MAF, key on engine off at Light blue/Red wire you should have 5 volts reference. At the Red wire you should have 12v. Key Off, Check Black/White wire for resistance to ground, should be less than 0.5 ohm. If that checks out okay, key off you can check resistance on the Tan/ Light Blue wire from the MAF to PCM(center pcm connector pin 42. Look closely on inside of connector for pin numbers) Should be less than 0.5 ohm as well. If you don't find anything wrong and your MAF is clean, maybe someone will let you borrow their MAF to test? I can't seam to find a straight answer on what the specs should be. As far as I'm concerned it should be what everyone else stated around 30-40 g/s at idle and over 300g/s on the go pedal.

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
Removed MAF Sensor
• The Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor has been
removed from F-Series vehicles with Federal
calibrations beginning in November 2004.
• The Intake Air Temperature (IAT1) Sensor
will be mounted in the same location as the
previous IAT1/MAF combination sensor.

All I can find on Inford.

Should of read up, someone already posted this.

U235a4

Reaction score
So what limitations (if any) do the 05 trucks without MAFs have? Are they able to run the later inferred flashes without a MAF?

I would love to talk to a engineer about this as I have my thoughts. it's my understanding they do run inferred flashs but how they are different anybodys guess out of the know. personally I would have to think Throttle response would suffer with out it. I made sure my EBP tube was clean and put a new ebp sensor on did some testing on a tune that I use as a DD between inferred (vxcf9nz) and non inferred (vxcf4ng). I had Eric@ID build the Aggressive street both ways. what I found for my truck was the vxcf9nz tune was smoother, throttle response better off idle and smooth into the rest of the powerband, and smoked less when rolling into the throttle. with the vxcf4ng it would have a flat spot when rolling into it or off idle but one the ECM and EBP figure what they where doing it would hit hard trying to catch up to where it should be. now mind you this would happen pretty fast but I notice it. a little off subject but thought I would add that. I have someone that is doing a setup pretty close to mine but they lack a MAF so it should be interesting how it works for him.

05PSD

Reaction score
Removed MAF Sensor
• The Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor has been
removed from F-Series vehicles with Federal
calibrations beginning in November 2004.
• The Intake Air Temperature (IAT1) Sensor
will be mounted in the same location as the
previous IAT1/MAF combination sensor.

All I can find on Inford.

Should of read up, someone already posted this.

This isn't at all what I was asking. You should learn reading comprehension before posting.

05PSD

Reaction score
I would love to talk to a engineer about this as I have my thoughts. it's my understanding they do run inferred flashs but how they are different anybodys guess out of the know. personally I would have to think Throttle response would suffer with out it. I made sure my EBP tube was clean and put a new ebp sensor on did some testing on a tune that I use as a DD between inferred (vxcf9nz) and non inferred (vxcf4ng). I had Eric@ID build the Aggressive street both ways. what I found for my truck was the vxcf9nz tune was smoother, throttle response better off idle and smooth into the rest of the powerband, and smoked less when rolling into the throttle. with the vxcf4ng it would have a flat spot when rolling into it or off idle but one the ECM and EBP figure what they where doing it would hit hard trying to catch up to where it should be. now mind you this would happen pretty fast but I notice it. a little off subject but thought I would add that. I have someone that is doing a setup pretty close to mine but they lack a MAF so it should be interesting how it works for him.

Thanks. This is the kind of information I was looking for.

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
This isn't at all what I was asking. You should learn reading comprehension before posting.

You're telling me I should learn how to read? Hmm.

Okay maybe what I posted didn't directly answer your question the way you wanted it to be answered. Fine.
Secondly I wasn't even answering YOUR question, I was replying to the OP's topic that YOU hijacked.
Third the question you asked made no sense. "Are they able to run the later inferred flashes without a MAF? " If you don't have a MAF, then obviously the PCM would have to create an INFERRED value of what the MAF should be. If you had a MAF sensor you wouldn't need to make up a reading.

If you'd like I can show you the little piece of paper that :fordoval: gave me that says I know what I'm doing when it comes to diesel. If you have one I'd be glad to see it.

05PSD

Reaction score
You're telling me I should learn how to read? Hmm.

Okay maybe what I posted didn't directly answer your question the way you wanted it to be answered. Fine.
Secondly I wasn't even answering YOUR question, I was replying to the OP's topic that YOU hijacked.
Third the question you asked made no sense. "Are they able to run the later inferred flashes without a MAF? " If you don't have a MAF, then obviously the PCM would have to create an INFERRED value of what the MAF should be. If you had a MAF sensor you wouldn't need to make up a reading.

If you'd like I can show you the little piece of paper that :fordoval: gave me that says I know what I'm doing when it comes to diesel. If you have one I'd be glad to see it.

Then quote who you're talking to dumbass. Congrats on your certificate.

Latest posts

Members online