Maintenance on these trucks is BS!!!!

Bigcountry250

Reaction score
Every single time I've gotten close to needing an oil change some bull$hit light comes on saying change fuel filter, or check coollant additive or some $hit. So a $100 oil change at the dealer ends up costing $200.

What is coolant additive anyway?

Powerstrokeracing

Reaction score
IIRC there set to come on at a certain time. I checked them a lot and hardly ever had to add any additive.

Bigcountry250

Reaction score
Gotcha, is this something I can add myself so it doesn't cost me a arm and a leg at the dealer?

Where can I buy the additive?

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Gotcha, is this something I can add myself so it doesn't cost me a arm and a leg at the dealer?

Where can I buy the additive?

You can get the additive at any parts store, just make sure it's the right kind. Not sure if Ford still uses VC-8 or not but I'd imagine it's changed since. Before you ad additive though you will need to get coolant test strips and checked levels. More often than not it will be fine.

Atsah

Reaction score
Every single time I've gotten close to needing an oil change some bull$hit light comes on saying change fuel filter, or check coollant additive or some $hit. So a $100 oil change at the dealer ends up costing $200.

What is coolant additive anyway?

My buddy said the same thing to me Friday, he said he gets lights comming on way to much.. He told me he dislikes the motor and wont buy another one.. He hasn't had the best of luck with the truck, it has been back several times with engine related issues, I honestly think he got a bad one because I don't see that much complaining about them..

Strokin&Smokin

Reaction score
My buddy said the same thing to me Friday, he said he gets lights comming on way to much.. He told me he dislikes the motor and wont buy another one.. He hasn't had the best of luck with the truck, it has been back several times with engine related issues, I honestly think he got a bad one because I don't see that much complaining about them..

Sounds like he got a Monday or Friday truck lol. I haven't heard any negatives either, besides some early 11 turbo issues, everyone I've talked to absolutely loves these things.

Sent while dismantling your neighbors meth lab.

CWAY6.7

Reaction score
Mine just hit 29k, never had the check coolant additive light come on ever..Only things Ive changed are the oil and fuel filters. About to add an intake so the air filter will be soon (Not dirty at moment or clogged)....Even the fuel filter light hasnt popped up before...I have the basic speedometer so I dont know if that has anything to do with it. I have ran fuel additives though so I dont know if that does a good job cleaning it out though

Dave

Reaction score
Hell my FILs 2012s check coolant light has yet to come on with 15k on it.

Nor has the fuel filter light. He does the fuel filters annually anyway and has about 4 sitting on the shelf.

Tousley ford parts is a great resource for the filters

12stroker

Reaction score
If you don't have the screen on your dash fuel filter or coolant additive wont pop up.
I have 120k on my 11 f250 and it's never popped up. So I think it's to deal with the screen.

CWAY6.7

Reaction score
Surely they would put that on the base clusters though? At least i would think!! i changed my fuel filters every oil change anyways im just worried about the coolant additive

WHY NOT

Reaction score
My truck has a little over 50K on it, I have had it since 28K and have never seen to check the coolant pop up on the dash

Bigcountry250

Reaction score
Bought mine with 22k on it and its at 45k now and this is the second time it's come on. It's like my truck is rigged to make me spend more money

CWAY6.7

Reaction score
For some reason im starting to believe tuned and delete setups are experiencing this more so than stock trucks. My buddies pops up all the time and he has the lariat package with the screen in cluster. If matts truck is stock and has the screen cluster, hasnt experienced any problems then maybe its got something to do with the above...I have some customers with stock trucks and asked them as well and each has decent amount of miles, never once have they had it pop up...

I could be wrong but just an idea

Dzchey21

Reaction score
If you ever get a chance to look at all the PIDS that the ford IDS can read on these trucks its strictly built around being able to deny warranty.

There is pids for
distance driven with water in fuel light
key cycles with water in fuel light on
different levels of warning for water in fuel ect ect
this is all to deny high pressure pumps and injectors

they also have these coolant additive checks, for if down the road you have an oil cooler fail they can be like, oh well you never did the aditive or where is your reciept for the check strips ect ect. Cant say that i blame ford because owners are usually the main issue that ford and we as consumers pay for for waranties. All it does in the end is drive the cost of the trucks up. So i could care less

In fact if you have the light come on saying you need a fuel filter you have gone WAY too long on that fuel filter, they should be changed every 10k oil at 5k reguardless what the dash says. I take oil samples on mine and 5k is all i would feel comfortable running for an oil change unless i ran allot on the highway hot shotting or something of that nature

WHY NOT

Reaction score
For some reason im starting to believe tuned and delete setups are experiencing this more so than stock trucks. My buddies pops up all the time and he has the lariat package with the screen in cluster. If matts truck is stock and has the screen cluster, hasnt experienced any problems then maybe its got something to do with the above...I have some customers with stock trucks and asked them as well and each has decent amount of miles, never once have they had it pop up...

I could be wrong but just an idea

If you are referring to me, it is not stock.

Dave

Reaction score
If you don't have the screen on your dash fuel filter or coolant additive wont pop up.
I have 120k on my 11 f250 and it's never popped up. So I think it's to deal with the screen.

Yes chk coolant and filter pops up on the base model trucks as well.

Latest posts

Members online