manual or auto

Da6d

Reaction score
It amazes me the times that people will take out a perfectly good transmission and install a pile of sh*t in it's place for the sole purpose of having manual shift control instead of putting a stand-alone controller on the Auto with full-manual control in the first place and having their cake and eating it too.

Is there something in the water, or what? At what point in time with the general population stop being ignorant to the concept of the full-manual auto???

Saw this from a minute back, wanted to clear this up.

If your truck does NOT have a clutch that you manually have to disengage to shift from gear a to gear b, it's NOT a manual. Slapstick, shifttronic, triptronic, full manual auto; all that is bull****.

I refuse to drive an auto if I have the choice and the reason isn't just for the shifting, it's the whole concept. Take off, winding the gears out, clutch in shift clutch out. Not: RIGHT PEDAL, push stick up for up shift, *STILL ON RIGHT PEDAL*.

There's nothing "ignorant" about people not wanting a "full-manual auto", the simple concept of replacing the manual transmission with the "full-manual auto" is ignorant in and of itself. :fustrate:

Charles

Reaction score
Saw this from a minute back, wanted to clear this up.

If your truck does NOT have a clutch that you manually have to disengage to shift from gear a to gear b, it's NOT a manual. Slapstick, shifttronic, triptronic, full manual auto; all that is bull****.

Having.... to completely release the engine from the drivetrain..... complete a shift from one constant mesh ratio to another.... then reconnect the engine to the drivetrain again is what's bullsh*t. That's what you did back before we grew a brain and stacked ratios on top of one another that could be applied successively.

I refuse to drive an auto if I have the choice and the reason isn't just for the shifting, it's the whole concept. Take off, winding the gears out, clutch in shift clutch out. Not: RIGHT PEDAL, push stick up for up shift, *STILL ON RIGHT PEDAL*.

I constantly take off, wind out a gear, lift, make a shift and then get back on the power. I even disconnect the clutch on the downshifts, gasp....

There's nothing "ignorant" about people not wanting a "full-manual auto", the simple concept of replacing the manual transmission with the "full-manual auto" is ignorant in and of itself. :fustrate:

It's SO ignorant to imagine a manual-auto to replace a manual, that it's past-tense. As in already happened. Go on down to your local Ford dealer and test drive any new 400hp diesel you wish with manual control right on the shift-selector. When you get back, notice how that replaced the manual transmission option you don't see anymore.

LOL

If I wanted, I could reinstall the PWM TCC function and wire a potentiometer to my old clutch pedal laying in the bottom of my barn and reinstall it, then have precision make me a converter with additional clutch discs and steels in place of the stator and hydraulic drive in the converter. As you let out on the pedal the PWM valve would slowly apply the converter clutch discs and you could drive full manual, and push that pedal down on each shift if you like.

Hell, I could take a bone stock 4R and simply wire in a switch that wouldn't allow the PCM to command a shift unless you pressed the clutch pedal down. I mean if it turns you on to shove a pedal to the floor to BE ABLE to make a shift, then that should sooth your inner retard, lol. Hell, have it never unlock the converter unless you pressed the clutch down. Then you could stall it out if you wanted, or just release the pedal and idle along if that floats your boat.

What most people like you don't get is that nearly all the "bullsh*t" with an auto, is not the trans, it's the control strategy TELLING the trans to do those stupid ass things!

Da6d

Reaction score
Having.... to completely release the engine from the drivetrain..... complete a shift from one constant mesh ratio to another.... then reconnect the engine to the drivetrain again is what's bullsh*t. That's what you did back before we grew a brain and stacked ratios on top of one another that could be applied successively.

I constantly take off, wind out a gear, lift, make a shift and then get back on the power. I even disconnect the clutch on the downshifts, gasp....

It's SO ignorant to imagine a manual-auto to replace a manual, that it's past-tense. As in already happened. Go on down to your local Ford dealer and test drive any new 400hp diesel you wish with manual control right on the shift-selector. When you get back, notice how that replaced the manual transmission option you don't see anymore.

LOL

If I wanted, I could reinstall the PWM TCC function and wire a potentiometer to my old clutch pedal laying in the bottom of my barn and reinstall it, then have precision make me a converter with additional clutch discs and steels in place of the stator and hydraulic drive in the converter. As you let out on the pedal the PWM valve would slowly apply the converter clutch discs and you could drive full manual, and push that pedal down on each shift if you like.

Hell, I could take a bone stock 4R and simply wire in a switch that wouldn't allow the PCM to command a shift unless you pressed the clutch pedal down. I mean if it turns you on to shove a pedal to the floor to BE ABLE to make a shift, then that should sooth your inner retard, lol. Hell, have it never unlock the converter unless you pressed the clutch down. Then you could stall it out if you wanted, or just release the pedal and idle along if that floats your boat.

What most people like you don't get is that nearly all the "bullsh*t" with an auto, is not the trans, it's the control strategy TELLING the trans to do those stupid ass things!

I don't care. An auto is more expensive from the dealer than a standard, then you have to pay MORE for your electronic doodads to make it do what you want, and most autos can't handle the abuse the standards can without paying MORE to beef it up. **** that. You're auto doesn't have a clutch, it's not a ****ing standard. I don't care how many things you can make it do. If it can't suck my dick, it doesn't impress me.

Da6d

Reaction score
No hard feelings, the auto vs standard arguement always gets more heated than it needs to be.

Charles

Reaction score
I don't care. An auto is more expensive from the dealer than a standard

Really? So right now, how much more does the auto cost behind the 6.7 powerstroke than the manual?

LOL

Then you have to pay MORE for your electronic doodads to make it do what you want

If we're talking about dealerships here, then just notice those upshift and downshift buttons on that stock shift selector when you're there asking about the manual trans price...

and most autos can't handle the abuse the standards can without paying MORE to beef it up. **** that.

Weird, because the exact reason you're going to have such a hard time with the above two suggestions if you make it out from under your rock and to a dealer is that the manual is too weak to play anymore.

You're auto doesn't have a clutch, it's not a ****ing standard. I don't care how many things you can make it do. If it can't suck my dick, it doesn't impress me.

It has a very strong tripple disc clutch. Much, much stronger than your pos dry disc...

This is of course ignoring the dozens of clutches inside.

And it's definitely not a constant mesh pos standard. Thank GOD. You would have to turn off most all features to get to that level of pathetic.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Really? So right now, how much more does the auto cost behind the 6.7 powerstroke than the manual?

LOL

If we're talking about dealerships here, then just notice those upshift and downshift buttons on that stock shift selector when you're there asking about the manual trans price...

Weird, because the exact reason you're going to have such a hard time with the above two suggestions if you make it out from under your rock and to a dealer is that the manual is too weak to play anymore.

It has a very strong tripple disc clutch. Much, much stronger than your pos dry disc...

This is of course ignoring the dozens of clutches inside.

And it's definitely not a constant mesh pos standard. Thank GOD. You would have to turn off most all features to get to that level of pathetic.

Aren't u guys arguing zf/4r?

sent while looking at a hole in my block

Charles

Reaction score
Aren't u guys arguing zf/4r?

No. He was very specific about any auto not having "a clutch" and not sucking his dick for him.

I guess we're supposed to assume a manual trans does those things...

Reaction score
and most autos can't handle the abuse the standards can without paying MORE to beef it up. **** that.

A 6r will handle more than any ZF 5-6 ever built. Once again not an opinion it's a fact. And they come standard in all superduties

And I don't think I've ever seen a factory clutch in a ZF truck hold 500hp out of a tuned 6.4. Not even once. Because they can't. Stock 5r will hold 500 Hp day in and day out. So then you put a $1700 dual disk in it and I'm still running a stock 5r. Hmmmm who had to spend money to make their trans work?

Once again all these are facts, not opinions.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
No it applies just fine

I meant that particular post. I was trying to bump my other thread and accidentally re-posted in this one.

But yes, it does apply. You just can't get that kind of power harnessed by a 6 speed manual, even made by one of the top companies in the world.

Then look at the 6R140. rated nearly DOUBLE of what the top of the line ZF six speed is. and then better in ever facet.

Da6d

Reaction score
I was under the impression this was an opinion thread? I wasn't arguing zf vs Xr or anything like that. I was arguing that when it comes to driving, nothing is like a standard. But then hot shot rolls in here throwing power figures around and claiming this electronic can do this and that. Then he completely misses my unnecessary slang of "clutch" where I was referring to the concept of MANUAL ENGAGEMENT of a clutch PEDAL. Suddenly I'm the village tard because I claim autos don't have a clutch. The **** outta here. While I may be fairly new to diesels because my gasses took more money than the cost of a diesel to make the same power, I've quite a bit of experience with standards and autos; in particular swapping them out.

Since my last post I've educated myself on the standard and auto trans made available for our trucks. Yes, it appears the auto can handle more. Understand: I just came back from Japan where auto skylines were swapped on the daily. Where its only $3000 to buy a supra, but its auto and non turbo. The autos I'm used to are not power handlers. I was wrong to assume the same on a completely different platform, basically an entirely new level. So, how many more dick head comments can I get out of you after admitting I was wrong?

troll.jpg

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Sooo.... Does this only apply to Ford's? I have a buddy with a 8k$ auto trans in a 99 derge that won't hold 400 hp to save its life. Vs my ol lady's derge 5speed that is holding 400, stock stock clutch and 365k...

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
Thats because its a durdge trans. And I would love to see the forums when you kill the manual with a 5th gear falling out at random. My dad had one on a 12v, took 13 years but by god it happened. Then he bought an 06 auto and hasn't had a problem. When he does, he's putting a 4r100 on it.

Go stick a 4r100 with a different bell housing and a cps and tell me how much of a pos it is compared to the manual...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.