Marbles in can sound - after new build

groove

Reaction score
So, 3500km on new build (signature) I'm at idle and notice what sounds like a marble in a can. Sounds like its coming from the bell housing. Thinking the crank spacer that the machine shop removed and then re-mounted has shifted and cracked the flex plate or something of the sort...
Truck runs great, trans temp in the 160-175 range. Noticed a little vibration when in 5th and TC locked when I get on it. Smooth at cruise.
SO..trans is coming out to see whats up.
For those who have pulled the trans, did you separate the transfer case prior to dropping it or did you just yank the drive shafts, cross member and slide the whole show back?
Doing this in the drive way, no more $$$ for shop time.
Thanks all

Last edited:

webb06

Reaction score
Depends on what kinda jack you're using. Personally if its just a usual trans jack I'd yank the t case off

groove

Reaction score
Hope its as you say. I think I caught it early and haven't been driving it since.
Going to yard out transfer case and trans today and see whats what.
Figure I will check run out on crank spacer again if flex plate is intact. Seems a little suspicious that this happened right after the build...but that's kind of my luck anyhow it seems

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
let me know if i can help ya with a good converter !!

groove

Reaction score
Trans out, ended up leaving transfer case attached.
Flexplate looks good, no marks or cracks. TC bolts were all tight with the exception of one. It wasn't loose per say, just not as tight as the others. No way it was making the noise so I guess it is going to be new TC time!

ghohouston

Reaction score
I'd pull the flexplate off just for grins and look at the backside. I've seen numerous 7.3 flexplates crack, and you couldn't tell unless you pulled it off. I'm not saying it is your problem, but it would suck to have to pull the trans again

groove

Reaction score
Well, replaced TC. Didn't pull flex plate as the local dealer didn't have the hardware and I was in a jam for my truck. Guess what...still have the same sound so I anticipate the flex plate to be cracked under the mounting ring. Awesome.
Should have waited for the hardware to show up and pulled it off to have a look.
Any idea why the flex plates crack?

Stroked777

Reaction score
Well, replaced TC. Didn't pull flex plate as the local dealer didn't have the hardware and I was in a jam for my truck. Guess what...still have the same sound so I anticipate the flex plate to be cracked under the mounting ring. Awesome.
Should have waited for the hardware to show up and pulled it off to have a look.
Any idea why the flex plates crack?

Could be lots of reason. Vibration, hard shifts boost launches. I could go on

Latest posts

Members online