max powers+towing

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
The little housing helps but i bet its not as big of a deal as the high pressure, being a small turbine wheel in the vgt, plus the vgt, and a decent wheel in the small turbo, it all adds up for fast spool up and good towing, i mean really you could tow on the high pressure alone in theory.

Now being able to drive the low pressure earlier helps with the higher HP towing ablilities, since the high pressure is already flowing a decent amount of air, i dont think the housing on the big turbo is going to make much of a noticeable difference.

HOWEVER im going to try and tow with a 71 vgt, i think custom tuning could make it happen, probably not 10k heavy but we will find out eventually.

yeah, thats why im swapping housings, get the old bp down a lil bit, prolly see a small dip in egt as well. only one way to find out since settlemire lives 2500 miles away.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
your the perfect test mule cuz you watch your gauges like a hawk and you pay attention to how your truck runs at every speed... should be interesting.

to the OP sorry to derail

Austin

Reaction score
The little housing helps but i bet its not as big of a deal as the high pressure, being a small turbine wheel in the vgt, plus the vgt, and a decent wheel in the small turbo, it all adds up for fast spool up and good towing, i mean really you could tow on the high pressure alone in theory.

Now being able to drive the low pressure earlier helps with the higher HP towing ablilities, since the high pressure is already flowing a decent amount of air, i dont think the housing on the big turbo is going to make much of a noticeable difference.

HOWEVER im going to try and tow with a 71 vgt, i think custom tuning could make it happen, probably not 10k heavy but we will find out eventually.

Are both turbos VGT or just the high pressure?

Would a larger low pressure help out? Or is the restriction in the high pressure. I think I see what you are saying, just curiosity for the most part.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
your the perfect test mule cuz you watch your gauges like a hawk and you pay attention to how your truck runs at every speed... should be interesting.

now if only i could get the lp numbers back on track ;)

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Are both turbos VGT or just the high pressure?

Would a larger low pressure help out? Or is the restriction in the high pressure. I think I see what you are saying, just curiosity for the most part.

Just the high pressure is a vgt. In a towing set up you still need to find a low pressure that makes decent boost at your crusing rpm, doesnt do much good if the turbo wont make power untill 3000 rpm if you tow at 2000, but at the same time you dont want to run high back pressure at 3000 either because thats where you will most likely be running at getting on the highway, all about balance, tadds got it nailed really.

now if only i could get the lp numbers back on track ;)

you mean back pressure?

bigastrk

Reaction score

Shoot it works for me. I have been foaming at the bit to throw these turbos one my truck but I just haven't got around to it. Now that I will be towing the toyhauler on occasion I have to put the towing aspect of it into play. I might try to get a tighter housing on the 66 and see what it does. We are lucky up here to have such cool and dense air so maybe that will play a part in it. Thanks for the help guys.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Holy crap that was fast.

I can get a good deal on the II dragon fire pump so I was thinking about heading that route with an airdog. The studs and wastgate are sitting here along with 6.0 manifolds. The only other thing I was thinking would be ported rails and of course tranny.

If I were you, I would set some goals, and figure out exactly what you want. If you are going to run say 60 horse nozzles, you should be jsut fine with the air dog and elites modded pump (save some cash and sleep better at night). If you are wanting to run bigger than 60 horse nozzles, you may want to reconsider using the air dog.

Unless Im mistaken, I am pretty sure that the airdog cant supply the fuel that the industrial pump can potentially flow. Your nozzle size should determine how much fuel you will need. Personally, I wouldnt go any bigger than a 60 horse nozzle with an air dog just to be safe. If your hp pump is pulling a vacuum, it will hate life.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Shoot it works for me. I have been foaming at the bit to throw these turbos one my truck but I just haven't got around to it. Now that I will be towing the toyhauler on occasion I have to put the towing aspect of it into play. I might try to get a tighter housing on the 66 and see what it does. We are lucky up here to have such cool and dense air so maybe that will play a part in it. Thanks for the help guys.

Whats your altitude?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Think it may be a bad sensor like what mine is doing
Dustin? Mine is all over the place but it is the total boost reading.

pretty much, if the sensor flat out quits reading then it could be the harness but as far as irratic readings its probably the sensor or something else i havent run across. mine never did anything wierd, frustrating for me but you know ill make it right, i have held off on anyone else getting one untill i know yours and mikes work right.

bigastrk

Reaction score
If I were you, I would set some goals, and figure out exactly what you want. If you are going to run say 60 horse nozzles, you should be jsut fine with the air dog and elites modded pump (save some cash and sleep better at night). If you are wanting to run bigger than 60 horse nozzles, you may want to reconsider using the air dog.

Unless Im mistaken, I am pretty sure that the airdog cant supply the fuel that the industrial pump can potentially flow. Your nozzle size should determine how much fuel you will need. Personally, I wouldnt go any bigger than a 60 horse nozzle with an air dog just to be safe. If your hp pump is pulling a vacuum, it will hate life.

My goals are big but reality is that I need the truck to tow the camper.

jdgleason

Reaction score
My goals are big but reality is that I need the truck to tow the camper.

At that altitude, I think that if you bit the bullet and got the 66 vgt, that you could make a good towing setup. Are you ever planning on towing up to like 10k feet or anything? Maybe a cam and some good porting on the heads with tuning would work out well.

bigastrk

Reaction score
At that altitude, I think that if you bit the bullet and got the 66 vgt, that you could make a good towing setup. Are you ever planning on towing up to like 10k feet or anything? Maybe a cam and some good porting on the heads with tuning would work out well.

No I don't plan to tow that high. I might see what housings are available for the 66. I may just look into another motor for a toy and leave this one alone.

jdgleason

Reaction score
As stated before.... you may wanna look into stock fuel and high powers... smokeless setup, awesome power and a towing monster. Plus it would slay just about anything on the street.

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
I agree with the non vgt and turbo lag. II pump is good...for some. Ask Heavyhaul what he thinks about II and standing behind their products. I am running one but if I was buying one today I wouldn't do it.

Yeah i would stay away from II. My pump made it 500 miles and exploded. Took out my whole fuel system. They told me some bs story and tried to blame me because the retailer i bought it from supposedly never paid him. They don't give a rats a** .

bigastrk

Reaction score
Yeah i would stay away from II. My pump made it 500 miles and exploded. Took out my whole fuel system. They told me some bs story and tried to blame me because the retailer i bought it from supposedly never paid him. They don't give a rats a** .

That right there will make me stay away from them because they gave the same run around for my 6.0 injector issue.