MCC/DIY Tuning 6.7

Rucky

Reaction score
Who's into this, aside from the professionals? Looking at a Gearhead tune eventually, but for the time being I'm thinking of tinkering with this myself. Been cruising through the 6.4 threads for some ideas on how all the parameters work.

My end goals for my own improvements are to:
1. Extend high idle time to a higher temperature.
2. Close vanes/build more back pressure at lower coolant temperature for a quicker warm-up.
3. Strengthen exhaust brake. If possible, apply this in "Tow" tune only.

These are the only things I miss from my 6.7 Cummins.

Obviously in the end I'd like some more fuel efficiency and also a higher power tune but that's probably going to be beyond my abilities! Some of the parameters for the 6.7 I've found to be a little different than both the 6.4 and the 6.7 Cummins, so it's hard to cross-reference all of the information. Please share any experience or recommendations you may have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rucky

Reaction score
As a side note, maybe there would be more attention to this topic if there was a category for it, the same way MCC has it's own section for the 6.4 fellas.

Also, if anyone could clear up the EOM (Engine Operating Mode) numbers, and where they come into place, that'd be helpful. For example, if one of them was activated with Tow/Haul mode, then I wouldn't be afraid to jack the exhaust brake strength right up, as I would be able to effectively turn it on or off depending on the application or road conditions. Exhaust braking on icy roads can get pretty sketchy.

I feel like I have a pretty decent grasp on how each Temperature (1-4) parameter is activated, so I have a decent start on the vane position and desired boost at idle. One thing that I feel we're missing is desired back pressure, among other, more self-explanatory, parameters that I see the 6.4 guys have.

Still haven't found any parameters pertaining to idle speed vs. coolant temperature. Kind of seems half-done compared to the 6.4 parameters, and unfortunately it doesn't look like we'll see any support on this anytime soon, unless the gents at Apex take over very soon.

Look forward to seeing Dzchey21's take on this.

Vq2fast4u

Reaction score
The only way i have found to gain heat at idle is to ramp up the vane maps to keep the exhaust vanes closed more at no load and at whatever rpm u want. Problem is that it caused erratic boost at low load and rpm for me. Ive turned on "VGT learning" and set the temps to come on only at low coolant temp. Also good luck getting any awnsers about powerstroke tuning, its like a secret society lol.

Rucky

Reaction score
The only way i have found to gain heat at idle is to ramp up the vane maps to keep the exhaust vanes closed more at no load and at whatever rpm u want. Problem is that it caused erratic boost at low load and rpm for me. Ive turned on "VGT learning" and set the temps to come on only at low coolant temp. Also good luck getting any awnsers about powerstroke tuning, its like a secret society lol.

Any idea what torque would be commanded at normal and high idle? What do you feel the VGT learning at low temperature accomplished?

Vq2fast4u

Reaction score
I just change the values under "0" torque. VGT learning seems to force the exhaust vanes into the position needed for what the boost pressure map is calling for. Fyi all of my eom0 and eom3 maps are completely different than H&S and stock for my tune.

Rucky

Reaction score
I just change the values under "0" torque. VGT learning seems to force the exhaust vanes into the position needed for what the boost pressure map is calling for. Fyi all of my eom0 and eom3 maps are completely different than H&S and stock for my tune.

So what sort of boost and vane position are you calling for at idle, or between 6-1200(?) RPM? Have you found any of the other EOM modes come into play? I haven't had a chance to actually do the unlock yet... Just playing on the computer to get an idea. If you don't feel comfortable sharing here, if you could PM me that'd be awesome. I wish this stuff wasn't so hush hush. We spend enough money on the tuner, software, and delete equipment... I thought more folks would take the DIY approach for the "little things" like this.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
It's not that it's real hush hush.

Just nobody has taken a big interest in diy tuning on the 6.7L.

I too wish we had a forum like the 6.4L.

torque beast

Reaction score
I agree we need the same setup they have for the 6.4. I have been reading over there and learned a lot. I have played with several things including trans tuning. My trans shifts perfect now and engine is smoother but I'm just now getting into the timing tables. I would love to learn more from somebody that has experience with tuning the 6.7

Vq2fast4u

Reaction score
So what sort of boost and vane position are you calling for at idle, or between 6-1200(?) RPM? Have you found any of the other EOM modes come into play? I haven't had a chance to actually do the unlock yet... Just playing on the computer to get an idea. If you don't feel comfortable sharing here, if you could PM me that'd be awesome. I wish this stuff wasn't so hush hush. We spend enough money on the tuner, software, and delete equipment... I thought more folks would take the DIY approach for the "little things" like this.

My boost map has 2psi in the 0 torque column, vane map has anywhere from 30% to 90% in 0 torque column. I dont have my notes with me, but temp4 should be operating temp, and temp1 is when its coldest. Idk if the forum will let me post pics yet, but when i get a chance ill start a new thread with my maps. The more we share the sooner we can make use of the software.

Rucky

Reaction score
My boost map has 2psi in the 0 torque column, vane map has anywhere from 30% to 90% in 0 torque column. I dont have my notes with me, but temp4 should be operating temp, and temp1 is when its coldest. Idk if the forum will let me post pics yet, but when i get a chance ill start a new thread with my maps. The more we share the sooner we can make use of the software.

I believe your temperature schedules are reversed. Have you tried going to 3 or 4 commanded psi? Is this similar to the 6.4 in that the commanded psi trumps the vane position as a result of the allowable deviation? I also have plans to make it hold each temperature schedule longer (to a higher temperature). I really don't like walking out to a truck that's been running 15 minutes, is only at (hypothetically) 100 deg, and is sitting at a regular idle. I would rather not set up an up fitter for manual high idle, as I use my command start most of the time.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
When I did EFI live tuning it was a lot of fun because of the share knowledge base I was able to pool in.

I personally would like to see that with us. Different ego's I guess.

torque beast

Reaction score
I hear you. I like doing this stuff on my own and have no interest in building and selling tunes. Don't want the liability but wish we had more help. However, I will figure it out and will share what i do know.

BOHICA256

Reaction score
I glanced through the MCC thread on the 6.4s a while back and thought the same thing about wishing we had that kind of knowledge passing around for our trucks.

I like the ideas the OP has with the high idle time and the cane positioning.
I know there's a 6.4 guy that I follow on YouTube and am pretty positive he's on this forum that turned off the VGT under 1000 rpm which made the idle deeper and I think it sounded pretty wicked. I would try that out just to see what it sounded like lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattmal9

Reaction score
I like the ideas the OP has with the high idle time and the cane positioning.
I know there's a 6.4 guy that I follow on YouTube and am pretty positive he's on this forum that turned off the VGT under 1000 rpm which made the idle deeper and I think it sounded pretty wicked. I would try that out just to see what it sounded like lol.

I'd like to hear that also. Haha.

But wouldn't turning the VGT off make the truck take longer to get to running temperature? Just wondering.

BOHICA256

Reaction score
I'd like to hear that also. Haha.

But wouldn't turning the VGT off make the truck take longer to get to running temperature? Just wondering.

If you look up "6.4 MCC tuning" on YouTube it's a quick video, it's a red truck.
And I think turning the VGT off would take it longer to warm up.

If we can figure out how to create the more back pressure for longer I would do that during the winter months(West Texas doesn't exactly get real winter) and then have the vgt off when it's not winter, of course if it's doable and doesn't affect the drivability.

higherlife

Reaction score
When I did EFI live tuning it was a lot of fun because of the share knowledge base I was able to pool in.

I personally would like to see that with us. Different ego's I guess.

Exactly!!!:toast: Efi live was the bomb. I have been working on some 6.7 tuning but not nearly as complete as efi live

Rucky

Reaction score
If you look up "6.4 MCC tuning" on YouTube it's a quick video, it's a red truck.
And I think turning the VGT off would take it longer to warm up.

If we can figure out how to create the more back pressure for longer I would do that during the winter months(West Texas doesn't exactly get real winter) and then have the vgt off when it's not winter, of course if it's doable and doesn't affect the drivability.

Different vane positions and boost maps come into play at different temperatures which can be set by the user. At least that's how I see it on the computer, and these are the changes I have made. I have set it so that during colder temperatures the vanes are closed and build boost and at operating temperature the vanes are nearly wide open. Unfortunately I haven't purchased the unlock yet to test this though.

I'm happy to spark some interest here. Hopefully we can keep it up 👍

Latest posts

Members online