MCC/DIY Tuning 6.7

BOHICA256

Reaction score
I haven't even looked at any of it because I got the custom tunes right after I bought the unlock. And I'm pretty sure the custom tuners can lock certain things. So hopefully the things I would have to change aren't locked up, but if they are I would just have to use the box H&S tune instead of the Gearhead tune.

I'm definitely interested in this stuff. I like doing these kinds of things but just never wanted to toy with it and screw something up because of my inexperience😅
Hopefully it works when you get the unlock!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rucky

Reaction score
I haven't even looked at any of it because I got the custom tunes right after I bought the unlock. And I'm pretty sure the custom tuners can lock certain things. So hopefully the things I would have to change aren't locked up, but if they are I would just have to use the box H&S tune instead of the Gearhead tune.

I'm definitely interested in this stuff. I like doing these kinds of things but just never wanted to toy with it and screw something up because of my inexperience😅
Hopefully it works when you get the unlock!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has Gearhead done anything for you as far as exhaust braking? I'm currently awaiting an email response from them regarding some of the concerns I addressed above. The problem lies in that I would prefer not to pay for multiple tunes that fit my needs for different times and purposes. I also don't want to waste their time and my money if I don't actually like some of these small tweaks, or they don't apply for the different things I use my truck for. It would be different if I could fully utilize the "shift on the fly" tunes for all of the available parameters, but unfortunately all H&S granted us was SOTF fueling. And as far as I understand, they're no longer available to further expand on our available parameters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

torque beast

Reaction score
This is the area I was thinking about adding timing. This the cruising range between 1400 and 1600 rpm any concerns?

e3cd0c113e2c8bac6a15b07c4dca002c.jpg

Rucky

Reaction score
This is the area I was thinking about adding timing. This the cruising range between 1400 and 1600 rpm any concerns?

e3cd0c113e2c8bac6a15b07c4dca002c.jpg

I can't answer your question, but during my 6.7 Cumminsforum days, a fella that went by Norcaler had some unreal results with doing just that, at least as far as fuel economy was concerned. But he did so carefully, while monitoring EGTs, Drive Pressure, and lord knows what else. The best part was he shared it for free, publicly. I miss seeing 10-11 L/100km on the EVIC haha

MorganM

Reaction score
I can't answer your question, but during my 6.7 Cumminsforum days, a fella that went by Norcaler had some unreal results with doing just that, at least as far as fuel economy was concerned. But he did so carefully, while monitoring EGTs, Drive Pressure, and lord knows what else. The best part was he shared it for free, publicly. I miss seeing 21.4-23.5mpg on the EVIC haha

There. I converted the canadia speak to 'murica terms.

torque beast

Reaction score
I can't answer your question, but during my 6.7 Cumminsforum days, a fella that went by Norcaler had some unreal results with doing just that, at least as far as fuel economy was concerned. But he did so carefully, while monitoring EGTs, Drive Pressure, and lord knows what else. The best part was he shared it for free, publicly. I miss seeing 10-11 L/100km on the EVIC haha

I appreciate that info. I am a member there as well so I will look him up.

Rucky

Reaction score
I appreciate that info. I am a member there as well so I will look him up.

Good luck finding much. Unfortunately I believe the forum put the kibosh on everything for violation of some rule or another. I would have to do some deep digging, but I may still have his timing table on my micro SD somewhere. Then that could be compared with the stock Cummins table or the H&S one for reference, but we're really grabbing at straws here.

torque beast

Reaction score
I'll send some pm's and see what I can come up with. That would be great if you have a copy of it. I have a stock file from my 09 cummins I could compare to.

torque beast

Reaction score
Does anybody have a copy of the original tune release from H&S before they updated the tune to "save" the turbo?

torque beast

Reaction score
Well a little update. I built a timing calculator and have been making small adjustments and is working pretty good. I will say advancing the timing is not always the best answer. Pulled a trailer loaded along with the back of my truck full of crap and was able to pull any speed without issue. Only thing I'm not sure about is the fuel mileage. At 75 fighting an 8 mph head wind I got 11 mpg. Load was not heavy. Maybe 8-9k with trailer and 1500lbs in bed. Boost stayed at 12-13 flat or up hill. Never lost speed. On one hand I expected more but when I figure I have 3:31 on 35's and lifted 4.5" it may not be that bad.

Rucky

Reaction score
Well a little update. I built a timing calculator and have been making small adjustments and is working pretty good. I will say advancing the timing is not always the best answer. Pulled a trailer loaded along with the back of my truck full of crap and was able to pull any speed without issue. Only thing I'm not sure about is the fuel mileage. At 75 fighting an 8 mph head wind I got 11 mpg. Load was not heavy. Maybe 8-9k with trailer and 1500lbs in bed. Boost stayed at 12-13 flat or up hill. Never lost speed. On one hand I expected more but when I figure I have 3:31 on 35's and lifted 4.5" it may not be that bad.

Willing to share any more info about the calculator? Boost sounds low to me compared to mine. I'll hit 17-19 uphill with just two sleds on the deck. Does it lug a bunch with your gearing/tire setup?

torque beast

Reaction score
No it doesn't lug at all. Maintains 11-12 flat or up most hills. On very steep hills it would hit 13-14. Ran great but even flooring it it would only hit 21 max. I will share when finished. I have some duramax guys that have been very helpful since everyone here is tight lipped about tuning. Got some more changes to make to account for rail pressure then it should be good. Duramax guys use 55% for fuel economy, 50% for the best of both worlds and 40% for performance

torque beast

Reaction score
55% means 55 percent of the fuel is injected BTDC and 45 percent ATDC so once you get your fuel duration you can put it in the calculator and see what timing to run. You can also put your rail pressure in as well but I'm still working on that piece.

Rucky

Reaction score
Need some empty mpg avg before and after with a couple tanks to see if it'd be worth the hassle! Let me know if you need someone to help test. Once you know they're reasonably safe of course.

Rucky

Reaction score
Just purchased the unlock from 8lug. Would love to have it for the weekend to do some tinkering. Only thing I'll probably be able to do with this f'n cold.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.