Mechanic says forget the coolant filter

Atc-Eric

Reaction score
About to bullet proof my 6.0. Getting ARP's, EGR delete, updated oil cooler, blue spring, and a few high performance parts to go along with it. I told my technician that I already ordered a coolant filter system by Sinister as suggested by many sources. He tells me I don't need it with the upgrades we are preforming. Tells me that with the egr deleted, and the updated oil cooler, I wont have problems with clogging up passages.

This guy is a Ford Mechanic, and is passionate about the 6.0. He is reputable, a trusted person to wrench on my truck.

What are the thoughts on this? Should I throw that sucker back on ebay? Or just wait until he gets done with the heads and go ahead with installing it? Truck will receiving a full flush while its in, so Ill have a clean slate to start with.....

Slate

Reaction score
I'd do the coolant filter. Consider it added insurance to keep the coolant clean and keep if from messing up the water pump.

Just my opinion.

smokedout250

Reaction score
I'd do the coolant filter. Consider it added insurance to keep the coolant clean and keep if from messing up the water pump.

Just my opinion.

^^^^ what he said! It's always a good idea to have your cooling system can get stuff in it over time better safe than sorry. Cheap insurance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Yeah I would still install it, a buddy of mine got his truck bulletproofed and installed the updated cooler along with a full coolant flush and still was rewarded with a clogged cooler.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Coolant filters are NOT a replacement for proper cooling system maintenance, and certainly not the "end all" solution to clogged oil coolers. If the wrong coolant is used, the coolant isn't the correct 50/50 mixture or the pH isn't checked and adjusted at the time of the flush and then as needed (we recommend checking every oil change)...you can have problems again in a short amount of time and it won't have anything to do with "debris" left in the system.

Atc-Eric

Reaction score
Fair enough, pretty much what I was thinking. Get indecisive sometimes, and need that little extra bit of outside opinion.

Thanks for all the replys guys, I appreciate it.

little luke

Reaction score
Yeah I would still install it, a buddy of mine got his truck bulletproofed and installed the updated cooler along with a full coolant flush and still was rewarded with a clogged cooler.

^^^same story
I had mine on for a month. Then one day I was giving a boy a jump and he asked what the filter was for, I explained then noticed the bottle had puked out that nice chocolate milkshake. I didn't point that out to him though. 125000 miles on a stock cooler wasn't bad in my opinion.

But yes, keep it, for peace of mind plus it's a nice decoration

yeehaw

Reaction score
Coolant filters are NOT a replacement for proper cooling system maintenance, and certainly not the "end all" solution to clogged oil coolers. If the wrong coolant is used, the coolant isn't the correct 50/50 mixture or the pH isn't checked and adjusted at the time of the flush and then as needed (we recommend checking every oil change)...you can have problems again in a short amount of time and it won't have anything to do with "debris" left in the system.

:whs:

with proper maintenance there is really no need for the filter.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.