Melted or burned vc gasket pigtail wiring

2000psd

Reaction score
My truck has been running rough for a long time now,but,sometimes it runs perfect. Been doing this for maybe a year and a half. Looked the engine over and found the drivers side pigtail plugged into the vc gasket has a few burned/exposed/corroded wires. Gonna change the pigtail,vc gasket and uvch tomorrow. I'm cheaping out and going to use the dorman kit (I know,stupid). This will be first time on this for me and im sure its simple but I can't find a step by step walkthru, so if anyone has a link to one I'd greatly appreciate it.

Question number two: Does the pigtail splice in with just regular butt connectors?I'm worried about the splices getting wet,or if the extra resistance will throw the timing off?

And one more question: Why did the wires burn? Also , found the wires on the intake heater in the same condition so I'm wondering if I have some electrical problem I need to look for. Thanks in advance.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
The best way to do it is to solder and use heat shrink. I view butt connectors as a temporary fix.

The wire become damaged because of their location. They rub and can become chafed.

Latest posts

Members online