might be buying a 6.0 that's been sitting 5 years. need advise

dragn91

Reaction score
Found an f350 that's been sitting since the owner passed 5 plus years ago. I know 6.0s are a gamble but they said they start it ever once and a wile. If I can get it cheap enough I'm not scared of the work involved in owning a 6.0 if I get it I'll be driving it the 10 miles or so to my house. Should I bring some diesel kleen or something maybe throw 5 gallons of fresh diesel in it. I'll try to drain it completely once I get home. I know I'd want to change the oil and antifreeze and use all Motorcraft filters. As far as I can tell the truck is completely stock I plan on ******** the egr and flushing or replacing the oil cooler before I even tag it. Anything else I should do. I know they need headstuds eventually but I'd hold off until I saw a problem but for all I know they could be bad. I know they typical brakes bearings u joints ect.. need checked out since it's been sitting so long.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I wouldn't even worry about it.

Start it up and drive it. You'll have more problems with brakes, u-joints, etc. than anything engine related. They're not actually made of glass like the internet swears they are

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
I wouldn't even worry about it.

Start it up and drive it. You'll have more problems with brakes, u-joints, etc. than anything engine related. They're not actually made of glass like the internet swears they are

^this

have put many trucks together that have sat years while oil change and filters are always a good idea, but if the truck starts and runs, should be fine getting it back home to service it.

dragn91

Reaction score
Sounds good to me I just didn't want to tear anything up. Hopefully I can get it for a decent price.

Latest posts

Members online