might go look at this this wekend.

97crewcab

Reaction score
this is the c-list listing. I hope this works.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/ctd/3621330729.html

What do you guys think. I really like the color of this. looks pretty clean in the pics. But we will see when its in front of me. This will be the first 6 leaker I have looked at. What should I look at? What are some clues that It has been cared for that I could check? Any help would be great guys. Thanks in advance

rray37375

Reaction score
Change the color to Medium Wedgewood Blue Metallic and you would have my truck. Get an OASIS run on the VIN, ask if there have been modifications such as EGR delete/replace, check the degas bottle for signs of overpressure (crusty signs of leaks around the cap), and for peace of mind, plan on installing head studs to get rid of the crappy head bolts, and if the EGR cooler and oil cooler are original, plan on putting in upgraded units. Install a coolant filter. You will notice quite a difference between your 97 and this truck.

Contrary to what you might here from people, especially those who don't OWN a 6.0, with the proper modifications they can be very reliable once the Achilles heel of Ford factory modifications are excised.

97crewcab

Reaction score
I appriciate the response. I have assumed most of these mods/protective measures would have to be done. If there is crusty coolant on the degas bottle correct me if I'm worng but that would indicate a head gasket problem. correct? I have a couple buddys with 6.0l and they love them. I don't believe in bashing something till I try it. So the 6leaker comment was just a joke. I have wanted one of these motors for a while. Would also like a 6.4l but I will keep it to one truck at a time. So with the miles stated in the add would you guys say that this a fair price for the truck? I was going to try to see how far I could talk them down but Just curious on there price. Also can you take the vin to any dealer and get this oasis report for free or a small fee? again thanks for the help.

sootie

Reaction score
if that truck is as clean as it looks in the picture-go for it. 9k would be a good price. plan on 5k for parts and labour to bulletproof it and definitly get an sct tuner with custom tunes for it. The only other thing is the trans may not last too long if it hasn't been touched yet.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Dented front bumper other than that it looks great. Get the OASIS and check it over. IF you can get it for under $8k it's a steal. Invest in the suggested mods and that truck will run. I got 240K on my 2006 that doesn't loose a step.

97crewcab

Reaction score
thanks guys. Hope it looks as good in person as it does in the pictures. I saw the dent in the bumper too but I don't see much of anything else in the pictures. I will check on those running boards for ya coxey diesel. they look oem. But I'm going to look at it tommorow at about one in the afternoon. I will let you guys know what happens. thanks for the help so far.

97crewcab

Reaction score
Well I went to look at the truck today. I first just walked around it and looked while he was getting the keys. the box was pretty rusty. The right side wheel well on the box and on the right side top corner of the box was rusted bad where the box meets the cab. He told me he has had it for almost 4 months and hasn't started it over a month. So it wouldn't start, no big deal. Opened the hood and one battery was half the size of the correct battery. He hooked up the jump pack to it and I tried to start it right away. It cranked real slow for about 15 seconds but did not start. So I let it sit but I got out of the truck and lossened the degas bottle cap and there was a bunch of pressure in it. So right away I new the head gaskets were bad. But I still started it and while it was running it was making a really wierd like popping sound. But not from the exhaust, it was coming from the front of the motor. No Idea what that was. Did see it had an egr delete on it. the drivers seat was ripped to chit and the istrument panel said something tsb fault maybe. No clue on what that is. Would also need tires. It had alot of blow by for 201k. My 97 with 206k doesn't even have as much as this one did.

So I shut it off and told him thanks for letting me look at it. He asked if I was interested and I said I don't want to hurt his feelings on what I would pay for it. He asked how much it would be to repair the head gaskets. I told him if it was done at a ford dealer it pays like 23 some odd hours just in labor. I said If the shop charged 100 dollars an hour (which is low) it would be 2400 dollars just in labor not parts to do the head gaskets. he said he would take that off the price to get it fixed. I said I still do not want it. Then he made the mistake of letting me know he only paid 5500 dollars at an auction for the truck and then tells me he would have no problem taking a loss on the truck. I told him I would give him a call. If I do call him which I would have to really think about this. I think I would start at about 3k. I'm asking for some advise for this one. Also if i bought it how hard would it be to pull the cab off with no hoist? do you think if the front clip and all the seats were out of it, four to six guys could lift this cab off by hand? Sorry for the long post, just wanted to let youguys in on what I found. thanks again

bluedge8

Reaction score
don't plan on pulling the cab without a hoist of sorts, you'd have to build something. Let me know if you end up with this truck, I would like to help if I could but have very limited time these days. Where in MPLS are you?

97crewcab

Reaction score
yeah I thought it was pretty bad. might still pick it up for a project for the right price. would I need to pull cab to do the haed gaskets if I pull the whole front clip and fenders? thanks for the help guys.

Latest posts

Members online