Mileage increasing mods..what has helped you?

superstroked

Reaction score
I am looking to try and improve the efficiency of my truck. I am tuner, exhaust, and intake only truck. I am trying to see if the cold side pipes, down pipe, or any other cab on bolt on items have helped anyone with fuel mileage. I prefer not to get a bunch of "what do you expect for mileage" posts, just some real world results from anyone that has done and/or had success with. I know for a fact that I will get better mileage changing back to a stock wheel and tire configuration which, I may do when it's time to get tires again.

This post stems from driving to work and getting an avg 13 mpg with a 70/30 hwy/cty mix on a 70 mile daily commute. I also just made an 1100 mile round trip from DFW down to Port aransas on the tx coast pulling about 7k lbs with an avg mpg about 9mpg. All hand calculated. So, tell me, what has worked for you???

madman1234509

Reaction score
^^^ im with him.... Nothing ive done since the tuner has made any kind of improvement since installed. I drove down to PA last week, 321 miles one way. I averaged 21.5 mpg there and back @ 75mph most of the time.... I dont get nearly as good of mileage at 75mph as I do @ 65. 75 mph for my is just at or just under 2000rpm. I have an f350 with a leveling kit and 35s

CT9AIX

Reaction score
like these guys said, maybe the cold side pipe and thats about it. i know running larger tires doesent help much. sticking with a factory sized tires that arent too agressive will help in the long run.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Def. not lifting the truck and putting mud tires on :p I would imagine a set of 33" street tires would help quite a bit..... But if you really want mileage..... buy a prius :p. I used to see the best mileage out of my Spartan 275 tune. The 21.5 I saw last week was using the spartan 310

Frank_C

Reaction score
Going from my 325/50/22(around 35"x13") trail grappler mt's to 33" street tires on stock 18's helped a few mpg. I get around 15mpg city(with a heavy foot) and 19mpg highway averaged over 150 miles if I keep it at or below 75mph. I believe I was at around 13-14 city and 16ish on the highway with the mt's

superstroked

Reaction score
I am on 3.55s too...I guess maybe I need to slow down some and see what It can do(generally run 75-80 on the hwy)...I have never see anywhere near 21 even with the stock wheel and tires and the 275 tune. I wonder if that was hand calculated? My overhead shows about 21 on the 275 tune too but hand calculated it is only about 14....Best I ever gotten was about 16.5 running through New mexico just outside of the TX pan handle heading towards Red River, when it was still flat running about 75-80

Wayne

Reaction score
Before the 37's back in the day of stock tires I consistently got 21-22 mpg running x-street, and emissions delete and driving like a grandpa. I don't see turbo "upgrades" helping much aside from more efficient compressor wheels unless you tow a lot, and always use the extra power. Then something along the lines of tow-power compounds should help. Whatever makes it breathe easier I'm sure will help efficiency. Ported intake, high flow pipes,exhaust manifolds, etc. If you can keep the rpm's between 1500 and 2000, without lugging the engine, that alone should keep it on the up side of mpg's. May consider synthetic oils, and lowering it too for less wind drag.

superstroked

Reaction score
I run valvoline blue synthetic oil, I am not going to lower it...I really think I need to get a little more patience and slow down. Funny thing is, I can usually start a trip off running 65ish but, I am usually running 75+ before its all and done..lol

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Try a stock no Regen tune. My Dpf equipped truck got 16 mpg towing a 4000 lb boat this past weekend over 500 miles ... I was impressed. I'm going to.delete and tune it but no big.tunes

superstroked

Reaction score
Try a stock no Regen tune. My Dpf equipped truck got 16 mpg towing a 4000 lb boat this past weekend over 500 miles ... I was impressed. I'm going to.delete and tune it but no big.tunes

I am not sure I would like the truck anymore if I did that..lol

I think I am coming to the conclusion that the mileage has more to do with how I drive than anything. I may try a Cold side pipe and down pipe soon though, will make it breathe a little better and reduce exhaust temps if nothing else.

I have the jetta I drive the same 70 mile round trip during the week that gets right at 40mpg driving the same speeds or more than I did in the truck. I mainly only drive the truck on the weekends or to pull the boat or the jeep. The bad thing about mods that may improve mileage is that they also increase power and it makes it hard to drive it "tenderly" HAHA :thumbsup:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Agreed that's why a stock tune gets good mileage lol.

Back pressure plays a big part in things and I know some tunes run high vgt duty cycle to keep smoke down by that hurts cruising mileage

superstroked

Reaction score
Agreed that's why a stock tune gets good mileage lol.

Back pressure plays a big part in things and I know some tunes run high vgt duty cycle to keep smoke down by that hurts cruising mileage

I think the best "mileage" tune would be a pressure only tune..........anyone have one of these?

What do you think about going with an different converter? Maybe a little lower stall speed? I have a place that has built some transmissions for me in the past, as well as build the converter in house that held the power I was making in my 05 cummings. It was only in the 450 950 range but, it never even though about slipping and almost would chirp the tires when it locked. Thank god it had billet..lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online