Mileage/Tuning question

Strokin Platinum

Reaction score
My trucks been averaging 14-15mpg hand calculated since i swapped injectors. I know it's a truck and i'm not expecting something stupid like 20+ I promise you that, but does 14-15 seem low? I thought with singleshots i could expect 16-18. I have the mods in my sig and the trucks on 285s, I drive all highway and interstate very little stop and go traffic and the truck doesn't leave the daily driver setting. Im running Amsoil 5w40 and have a clean fuel filter, could there be something Im overlooking? Is a weak hpop a possibility? Or maybe tuning is an issue?

Any input/advice appreciated thanks, Tyler

TARM

Reaction score
How fast are you honestly driving while cruising and how often are you speeding up and down to pass or get behind someone slow etc..

When you are in stop and go or the such honestly how slow are you to increase speed etc..

How many miles are on the engine?

What condition is the trans is? Slipping TQ converter clutch packs etc..

4x4 not actually unlocking the front axles?

Dragging brake?

What tire pressure? Best mileage will be at max pressure.

All of these things can and do have an effect far greater than most any mod you can make to your truck. Its not what most younger guys want to here but its the way it is. You want to have power and use it you gotta pay somewhere for it.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
:whs:

Pretty well summed up.
And to add to that, every one of these trucks are different, there will be a handful of them pulling 18 or 19 MPG while others will never see higher than 16. The question has been asked time and time again and in my opinion no amount of performance mods are going to gain you enough to warrant the purchase.

Strokin Platinum

Reaction score
70 on the interstate, 55-60 on the highway. There's 190k on the truck and the tranny seems pretty strong no slipping between shifts. I don't feel that I accelerate very quick but then again maybe I do and don't realize it. I know the 4x4 is unlocked I had to deal with that issue already. And for what it's worth I pulled 16-17 a couple tImes on the stock split shots. Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I've been really happy with him, his tuning is rather conservative and I like having that on a daily driver. Along with the stock petal, where full throttle is full throttle, instead of full throttle at half throttle :doh:. All in all he's pleasant to deal with and I would recommend giving him a try if your looking for something new.

TARM

Reaction score
Jsut to point out something about Matts tunes. Where they are conservative is in the throttle mapping. Meaning a in the first half or so of the pedal you get a very stock feel as far as the % of throttle to how far you are depressing the pedal. This is not to mean stock power just throttle %. Power is a bit more conservative in this bottom half. In the top half especially in the top 1/4 you get it all pouring on. If someone would like what I call a more sensitive pedal or wants the power to come on differently I am sure a phone call or email to him will resolve it.

Strokin Platinum

Reaction score
I would prefer the more stock throttle feel. The tuning I have now is extremely sensitive and smokes way more then I'd like. And is the torque converter locking up around 35- 40 the way most tuners do It now or is everyone's tranny tuning a little different?

TARM

Reaction score
I am with you I can not stand a touchy pedal. Its also all an illusion as far as power goes when its done by playing with TPS percentages. If you put half the throttle into the first 1/4 of pedal movement you either have to have flat spots in other places or the last 1/4 of the pedal will be dead with no increase.

His trans tuning is very good IMO. Mine was great and I have had a number of tunes and revisions for upgrades I did along the way. He did one tweak for me as I live in quite hilly country i.e. east coast mountains( not the midwest type mountains). I wanted it to downshift out of overdrive sooner as it handles the grades smoother that way. He made the adjustment and it was exactly how I wanted it to work. In my higher HP tunes I do not need it as it has all the power it needs in OD to power up any of what I typically have here before it needs to downshift.

Strokin Platinum

Reaction score
I am with you I can not stand a touchy pedal. Its also all an illusion as far as power goes when its done by playing with TPS percentages. If you put half the throttle into the first 1/4 of pedal movement you either have to have flat spots in other places or the last 1/4 of the pedal will be dead with no increase.
I think that right there explained perfectly what I am feeling with my pedal with my current tuning. Im definitely going to try out Matt's tuning now. I think i will be happier with it in the long run over my current tuning. The crappy part will be driving my truck with no chip for a while with those single shots. I really appreciate all of the input and advice Tarm and Trailerhauler.

PDT1081

Reaction score
My trucks been averaging 14-15mpg hand calculated since i swapped injectors. I know it's a truck and i'm not expecting something stupid like 20+ I promise you that, but does 14-15 seem low? I thought with singleshots i could expect 16-18. I have the mods in my sig and the trucks on 285s, I drive all highway and interstate very little stop and go traffic and the truck doesn't leave the daily driver setting. Im running Amsoil 5w40 and have a clean fuel filter, could there be something Im overlooking? Is a weak hpop a possibility? Or maybe tuning is an issue?

Any input/advice appreciated thanks, Tyler

Does your speedometer read correctly? If it's still reading for stock tires, your 14-15 is actually a lot better than that.

David N

Reaction score
Put your chip on the highest setting. That will generally have the most timing, therefore giving you the best MPG's.

Strokin Platinum

Reaction score
Im pretty sure my speedo is correct but i will double check it with a gps. Ill try the chip on the highest setting for a tank but my only issue with that is its really touchy for daily driving. I will give it a shot though, thanks for the replies!

TARM

Reaction score
The one thing nice about that is it teaches you to be very gentle on the throttle which will help you as takes offs is where you chew thru tons of fuel. The slower you take off or speed up the less fuel you will use. Coast to stop lights. Another thing remember every time you use your brakes you are ending up using more fuel.

I can take just about any vehicle a person drives normal and get 2 mpg better fuel sometimes up to 5.

Latest posts

Members online