Miss the Exhaust brake..

DMDP

Reaction score
Well, I've got 6k on my 2015 now, been deleted since just under 2. And to be honest, I'm not happy with it. The truck is my tow rig, not a toy. Has only been on a 50hp tow tune.(Very reputable tuner I won't name on the internet) Tune runs great and shifts great, But I really think I liked the way it pulled better stock. Maybe I'm just gettin old LOL. And definitly miss the exhaust brake! Truck tows heavy all the time and the brake helped a lot IMO. My question is, is anyone running tunes that the exhaust brake actually works like factory? Button and all? I really don't want salesmen just saying oh yeah ours works, then I buy a tune and I'm not happy with it at all. I just want an honest answer that it either works just like stock or not. I'm being told by A very knowledgable man that it won't ever be like stock, just figured I'd get some personal experiences. I'm really trying to avoid putting it back to stock because of the DEF, but I'm really leaning that way. Thanks!

sledhead_24_7

Reaction score
I think you need to get ahold of whoever did your tuning. I have heard there were some issues with early versions and updates have since cured the no exhaust brake problem. So I've heard.

In any case get ahold of the tuner and ask for a file with the exhaust brake working, I would think it should be about that easy.

But......?

DMDP

Reaction score
I've talked to my tuner recently about it and he said he wouldn't be releasing a tune that it works on. He's tried it both ways, but had other issues when making the exhaust brake function like factory. He's a top notch tuner in the ford world, so I'm not questioning his ability or his knowledge. But I'm going to be respectful to his business and keep his name off of here because he doesn't advertise non emission tuning...

My question is for someone running a tune that the exhaust brake "supposedly" works on. Does it actually function like factory? Or is it not as effective and have other issues. I don't want to go buy someone else's tune that they say "oh yeah, works like factory", to find out I'm still not happy with it and I wasted my money. I want it to function like stock

DMDP

Reaction score
Well I don't want to sound too ignorant, but I don't remember asking people to state their opinions on who my current tunes are from... I actually said I didn't want to bring his name on here.. because it has nothing to do with what I'm asking. It may or may not be known that he does offer tuning, but he doesn't put it on his website, so I'm not gonna put it on here.... Now if I could find someone who actually has a 15, and may be able to answer the question I asked, That would be great! Thanks

DMDP

Reaction score
We can get you set up with an exhaust brake from BD diesel with the button on the dash. It will control the veins in a much more aggressive way that stock while also working with the TC to make it as efficient as possible.

Much better option than the stock brake even if you do get it working.

Thanks for the info, if I decide to go that route, I'll contact you. Thank you!

20156point7

Reaction score
I have pip tunes and the exhaust brake comes on but it does not slow me down like it did stock, honestly I can't tell a difference when it's on or off so I just leave it off.

ftast350

Reaction score
We can get you set up with an exhaust brake from BD diesel with the button on the dash. It will control the veins in a much more aggressive way that stock while also working with the TC to make it as efficient as possible.

Much better option than the stock brake even if you do get it working.

The 15s have the button already, with that being said it sounds like the kit is for a 14 so will this kit work with the 15s different turbo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O4ep3civ

Reaction score
Pip and KEM both seem to work like oem.

Sent from the front seat of my rocket ship

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
I have 4 deleted 2015s. The exhaust brake seems to be hit or miss, mainly based off of strategy. My F450 seems to have an inverted brake, where it's aggressive without the buddy and non existent with it engaged. I did a lot of the beta testing for KEM and it never worked on my truck, but it has on many other trucks. There are a few odd tables still giving the 3 tuners issues on SCT, but I've been working closely trying to figure out the issues. Mainly on the 15 F450 crew since there are so few of us currently.

Hoping you can find resolution; don't get up hope friend!

DMDP

Reaction score
I have 4 deleted 2015s. The exhaust brake seems to be hit or miss, mainly based off of strategy. My F450 seems to have an inverted brake, where it's aggressive without the buddy and non existent with it engaged. I did a lot of the beta testing for KEM and it never worked on my truck, but it has on many other trucks. There are a few odd tables still giving the 3 tuners issues on SCT, but I've been working closely trying to figure out the issues. Mainly on the 15 F450 crew since there are so few of us currently.

Hoping you can find resolution; don't get up hope friend!

That's what mine does and he said it might do. With the button off, it will work at very high rpms. But not effective at all. When you hit the button, it will turn off and not do anything. If you turn the switch on and just slightly touch the gas pedal, you can feel it kick on then off also. Do you need it towing? No. but now having it when it was stock spoiled me LOL. Thanks for the info Jared. I towed this stock, then deleted, it was night and day difference in my opinion braking down hills. Exhaust brake is an awesome feature on these trucks
7515D88D-6CDF-4EC0-A5D1-9A9271411CAC.jpg

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I know, but that's not the point.. Some tree hugger does a search on Google, I'd rather his name not come up with me talking about it.. That is all..

I've known the man for over a decade...I get what you're saying and he's told me the same thing. It's widely discussed here though so whatcha gonna do, ha know?

DMDP

Reaction score
I've known the man for over a decade...I get what you're saying and he's told me the same thing. It's widely discussed here though so whatcha gonna do, ha know?

Understood. I've know him for a good while also being we re local and he's always helped me out. Just trying to be respectful towards his business. Don't need to give the EPA another reason to come beating his door down if we can avoid it

morepower02

Reaction score

Yep. I have been running his tuning since 2006. you won't out him to anybody by saying a name.

jcain

Reaction score
Sounds like sct needs to let some other people have a swing at it...

Latest posts

Members online