Miss the Exhaust brake..

Isobaric

Reaction score
I'm glad you feel it's ok for the customers to be guinea pigs during this completely (and obviously ) beta process. Sure doesn't seem like most of them were sold the tuning with that precursor, but if they were then it's fair game. But the constant negative reviews suggest most weren't.

Coming from an OEM's perspective, the amount of money, resources and man-hours it takes to put a calibration to market is staggering. We are talking hundreds of millions of dollars annually.

For that reason, my hat is off to the folks finding 'back-doors' in the software that will allow a truck to do as much as idle properly with the emissions deleted. These are puzzles that PhD level engineers have spent months analyzing, calibrating, testing and re-calibrating...all with a clear understanding of how the system is designed.
The complexity of models involved in making a modern engine operate has increased exponentially since 2003. The amount of closed loop systems (where each sensor/actuator acts as an input to the arbitration of another sensor/actuator) would give you nightmares.

To put things into perspective...something as seemingly insignificant as idle gains (controls fueling characteristics at idle) is so complex that it takes hundreds of pages to map out the logic flow. These are provided to an OEM calibration engineer. Unless FoMoCo has a massive internal leak (think Edward Snowden), they are not, and will not be available to aftermarket tuners.
Just breaking the encryption to the memory regions of an ECU where calibration data is stored is a job...and then all you have are 1's and 0's.

An engine brake calibration is not simply "slam the VGT shut and let that f*cker eat". There are feedback loops in place to optimize performance and prevent catastrophic engine failure , which are not easily fooled.
My guess is that Ford linearized their EGR/VGT calibration, which is giving the aftermarket tuners fits.

I apologize if this comes off as preaching, but the "I want it, and I want it now!" attitude is foolish. Ford's team started working on the 2015 calibration years ago. The aftermarket guys have had less than half the time, and a fraction of the operating budget. Be impressed that they are as far along as they are.
Don't like it? Buy a CAN emulator and give it a shot. I think you'll be surprised.

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
First off, I remember when tuning first came out for the 6.0 and I started running tunes a year or so of availability. Just before I sold it in 2011 I had gotten newer tunes and they were so much more refined it was amazing. The same was the case with the OEM tuning from Ford. They were continuously trying to improve the tuning in the early years. Just go look back at forum posts from '03-'04!

Fast forward to the present, things are progressing just as much with these newer trucks. As time moves forward things will get better. There are often multiple aspects for the functions for each vehicle system. For instance, the EGR may not only be for emissions control, but also to regulate exhaust pressure throughout the powerband and even while turbo braking. When the EGR is disabled, it's positives are removed and need to be accounted for. I remember this from the early 6.0 tuning days as well.

All that said, I'm loving my tuning and know it will only get better!

Chris

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
good perspective...

at the end of the day, it's essentially a new platform that's more advanced than the previous. the 13/14's were different from the 11/12's, but not as big of a departure as the 15's

I know that I am VERY guilty of wanting it all and wanting it NOW.

As such, I've never been one to walk the cutting edge. I don't have the personality to deal with the frustration of things not being "just right". Call it a character flaw if you want. I'm willing to! :toast:

First off, I remember when tuning first came out for the 6.0 and I started running tunes a year or so of availability. Just before I sold it in 2011 I had gotten newer tunes and they were so much more refined it was amazing. The same was the case with the OEM tuning from Ford. They were continuously trying to improve the tuning in the early years. Just go look back at forum posts from '03-'04!

Fast forward to the present, things are progressing just as much with these newer trucks. As time moves forward things will get better. There are often multiple aspects for the functions for each vehicle system. For instance, the EGR may not only be for emissions control, but also to regulate exhaust pressure throughout the powerband and even while turbo braking. When the EGR is disabled, it's positives are removed and need to be accounted for. I remember this from the early 6.0 tuning days as well.

All that said, I'm loving my tuning and know it will only get better!

Chris

Ipkyss

Reaction score
The way I see the exhaust brake issue is, 95% of the people driving a tuned truck could really care less about it as they don't work there truck. So the people building the tunes are going to spend there time on what the majority of people want as thats how business works. Hopefully in the years to come they step back and work on the little things.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I've commended Pete's build, actually. But like I said before, you toss in your 2 cents and I'll gladly send you mine.

well, thats just about enough. this thread has great potential for people that own 15's and need/want their exhaust brake to function better. so going forward, keep it about the exhaust brake. i'll have this thread cleaned up as it's initial questions and purpose will be good for all of those with a 2015 power stroke. so if your post isnt directly relative to something that can help get better solutions to that point, i ask that you bow out.

Tom S

Reaction score
This thread might be a bit choppy from editing out an argument amount a small group of people that derailed a worth while thread.

Jomax

Reaction score
I'll be waiting patiently till the tunes have the small bugs worked out. I use my exhaust brake quite a bit. For people wanting a bit more power, I'm buying the torq 2. Doesn't mess with the computer and adds a bit more power. I'll keep 2015 owners posted.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I am still impressed with the dpf on superchips tunes. It was just not worth it to me to run only the tow tune or have to switch tunes every weekend to tow my trailer. Gave my Superchips to my father for his 13 and its great. I was looking at the Torq2.2 because I can change power easy but I am not sure how much the tranny would like the constant power changes.

I am still very happy with my 15 stock. Its an animal towing. I will just wait around for the tunes to be perfected. Last thing I want to do is play games with such a nice set up. Its not like when I originally bought my 2008. Thing was a giant turd in stock form.

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
I didn't tow too much before I deleted mine or the dually we have, but both trucks will reach around 11psi of "boost" upon decel when in tow/haul mode with a load. That is on pip tow tune v6 in the dually and idp tow tune on my srw. But both brakes shut down when you push the actual button on the dash that turns them on from the factory. I actually like how it is because you don't have to use the button when you want the brake. It's always on. On both trucks. Just hook to trailer and push tow/haul on the shifter. Is that not how it is for everyone else?

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
I haven't tried it yet to check, but is everyone trying their tow tunes while towing compared to the other tunes? I only ask because most tuners have very distinct criteria for their different tunes. For instance, the transmission tuning will be very different with a towing tune versus a race tune. I'm wondering if some are caught up in what h&s used to offer with their on the fly in which only a few tables changed when switching, i.e. pulse width, not all. Again old platform, but with my 6.0 the towing tune was very different from my race tune in many aspects.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Have a '12, so not to derail, but I'd really like it if the exhaust brake worked better.

I'm rolling down 4-5% grossing 25k and the motor is spinning 3000+rpm in 4th gear keeping things under control.

Going to spend some coin on an intercooler/boost tube/intake first, but...

...what can be done with the older trucks, a minimax and exhaust brake tuning? Assume a new turbo install would be a part of that.

DMDP

Reaction score
I haven't tried it yet to check, but is everyone trying their tow tunes while towing compared to the other tunes? I only ask because most tuners have very distinct criteria for their different tunes. For instance, the transmission tuning will be very different with a towing tune versus a race tune. I'm wondering if some are caught up in what h&s used to offer with their on the fly in which only a few tables changed when switching, i.e. pulse width, not all. Again old platform, but with my 6.0 the towing tune was very different from my race tune in many aspects.

Yes, Only tune my truck has seen is tow.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.