Missed a shift

BlueOvalDiesel

Reaction score
today I was showing off in my truck and it missed a shift. got on it at about 15 mph spun the tires they caught started taking off then missed the 2-3 shift I think and hit the rev limiter. I let of the throttle and a few seconds later it was back in gear and off we went. Is this bad or is it a normal thing. I hadn't drove it like that in a while but it has never did that.

Truck is an early 04 ccsb 155cc rcd injectors Innovative street tune 120,000 miles

OneStockQuik6.0

Reaction score
today I was showing off in my truck and it missed a shift. got on it at about 15 mph spun the tires they caught started taking off then missed the 2-3 shift I think and hit the rev limiter. I let of the throttle and a few seconds later it was back in gear and off we went. Is this bad or is it a normal thing. I hadn't drove it like that in a while but it has never did that.

Truck is an early 04 ccsb 155cc rcd injectors Innovative street tune 120,000 miles

I've seen it happen before.

diligent1

Reaction score
My 12 done this the other day in perf. Mode put it in neutral and drove home. Now im afraid to get on it now cant aford a tranny at this time.

peixinho

Reaction score
The transmission is a very adaptive tranny. It will soften and/or harden the shifts depending on how you drive. It will also go into limp mode and/or drop into neutral to avoid a catastrophic failure.

Always make sure to do an escalated relearn process with your tranny. Don't ever just hammer on it. Start off with a couple 1/4 throttle runs, then 1/2 thorttle runs, then 3/4 throttle runs, then WOT throttle runs.

Oh and DON'T EVER RUN YOUR TRUCK SUPER HARD RIGHT AFTER INSTALLING A NEW TUNE. It can and will blow up your tranny. Ask me how i know

ford rules

Reaction score
Sounds like it had a shift flare to me. These trannys seam pretty common for that. Dont worry about it hitting the limiter every now and again it wont hurt it.

BlueOvalDiesel

Reaction score
Well this is good to know. I drive pretty easy most of the time just wanted to show off to my chevy buddy :doh:

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The transmission is a very adaptive tranny. It will soften and/or harden the shifts depending on how you drive.
No it will not. It does NOT adapt to how anyone drives. That is an internet myth that just won't die.

What it does adapt is how long a shift takes from when the computer commands it until the computer detects that the shift has completed. It has nothing to do with how anyone is driving.

Oh and DON'T EVER RUN YOUR TRUCK SUPER HARD RIGHT AFTER INSTALLING A NEW TUNE. It can and will blow up your tranny. Ask me how i know
Once it adapts to a power level it has to adapt differently if the power level is changed.

peixinho

Reaction score
No it will not. It does NOT adapt to how anyone drives. That is an internet myth that just won't die.

What it does adapt is how long a shift takes from when the computer commands it until the computer detects that the shift has completed. It has nothing to do with how anyone is driving.

Once it adapts to a power level it has to adapt differently if the power level is changed.

Well I don't know you but by seeing your avatar I can assume you know a lot about transmission... probably a lot more than me because I am not a tranny guy.

I can tell you from personal experience that what I am saying is true. From many different 6.0 liters... Maybe I am saying it wrong but if I drive my truck like a sissy for too long and get on it... sometimes it shifts weird or misses a shift... that is why you hear the 5r110 shifts different every time.

If I work my way up to a really hard run the truck shifts perfect every time.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I can tell you from being the person that programmed the software to shift the TorqShift transmission that there is no software in the stock computer that does what you think is happening.

peixinho

Reaction score
So does the truck adapt or not??? You keep saying that it does and doesn't.

You say adapt to a power level??? but not to how a person is driving. So I if I drive around only giving it 1/4 throttle and only hitting about 350hp for weeks on end. Then I floor it and hit 600hp for the first time on that tranny. Are you telling it will adapt to my power level... but not my driving style?

I am a little confused. I know you wrote the software but are we just playing on words or am I confused?

Thanks for any help you can provide

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
the adaptive learning is time related in how long the pcm signal to how long the transmission takes to make the shift, not how you drive like a sissy or a badass 16 year old.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The transmission DOES adapt. It does NOT adapt to how you drive it, nor does it adapt to different drivers.

What adapts is the length of a shift. The computer commands a shift and measures how long it takes for that shift to complete. It then raises or lowers the pressure so that the next shift will be closer to the ideal shift time that was programmed in by the engineer.

Tuning absolutely affects it. If the engine makes more torque on a different tune then the trans software has to adapt to that power level. If you only drive at 1/4 throttle or less it will not adapt the higher level. It will run the default pressure, which can be WAY off if there is a tuner. When I was creating the stock tune I only programmed it for stock power. Raised power levels was not a concern.

BlueOvalDiesel

Reaction score
If you drive slower and its in default the hammer on it and it has to shift quicker cause your driving faster wouldn't that be adaptive to the way you drive. Makes sense that slower driving uses slower shifts and faster driving needs faster shifts?

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
If you're having inconsistent shifts your transmission may have problems. When the tuning and transmission are correct you shouldnt even notice the adaptive strategy.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
If you drive slower and its in default the hammer on it and it has to shift quicker cause your driving faster wouldn't that be adaptive to the way you drive. Makes sense that slower driving uses slower shifts and faster driving needs faster shifts?
Doesn't make sense to me. The shifts were all designed to be about 0.400 seconds from command to finish.

If you want to say that's adapting to the way you drive, go ahead. I don't see it. I see that if you drive slow it adapts that part of the table. If you drive fast it adapts another part of the table.

Jason

Reaction score
Some people try to way over analyze things...or make it sound like their truck has a brain that id wise beyond anything a person can grasp.

What I am reading here, is that driving around like a 80 year old man, in a low line pressure situation, the shifts are smoother/softer/sluggish/whatever you want to call it, but as soon as you hammer it, the shift strategy is still calling for the lower line pressure on your next upshift, but the next shift will have "adapted" as you say to the nexessary increase in line pressure to make it happen as it should. Just how i'm reading it.

Have you ever hammered on it and let off right before a shift, and had the next gear slam in place?

mint-6oh

Reaction score
Doesn't make sense to me. The shifts were all designed to be about 0.400 seconds from command to finish.

If you want to say that's adapting to the way you drive, go ahead. I don't see it. I see that if you drive slow it adapts that part of the table. If you drive fast it adapts another part of the table.

Sounds to me it learns a shift table at say 1/4 throttle to keep shifts at .400 seconds and it learns another at full throttle to keep shifts at .400 seconds, just my understanding right or wrong it is what it is. I don't know why you are arguing/doubting whatever you want to call it with the guy that wrote the shift strategy about the shift strategy. He designed it, he knows what it can and can't do. Not trying to be a di$# but the guy literally wrote the book on it. Nobody knows it better than him

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.