Missed a shift

Denver

Reaction score
I had a 5r behind a 6.0 with this problem and kept having ford put transmissions in it. Truck was stock to. 2 transmissions had burnt clutches other 2 were fine and one just turned to soup and would start in 3rd from a stop. Years after selling it I was told the cause of the shift flair was because the way the trans uses gears. 1st gear is 1st gear. 2nd gear is really 1st gear with overdrive engaged. 3rd gear is 3rd gear. In order to go from 2nd to 3rd the trans needs to unlock out of 2nd and go into 3rd instantly. When it takes an extended period of time to unlock 2nd and engage 3rd thats were the flair comes from. If 2nd doesn't unlock before 3rd engages the trans locks up.

swinky

Reaction score
I had a 5r behind a 6.0 with this problem and kept having ford put transmissions in it. Truck was stock to. 2 transmissions had burnt clutches other 2 were fine and one just turned to soup and would start in 3rd from a stop. Years after selling it I was told the cause of the shift flair was because the way the trans uses gears. 1st gear is 1st gear. 2nd gear is really 1st gear with overdrive engaged. 3rd gear is 3rd gear. In order to go from 2nd to 3rd the trans needs to unlock out of 2nd and go into 3rd instantly. When it takes an extended period of time to unlock 2nd and engage 3rd thats were the flair comes from. If 2nd doesn't unlock before 3rd engages the trans locks up.

There was another issue if you were eating transmissions with a stock 6.0. I just ran a 204k mile trans 13k miles on a balls out race file with 50+ passes until I smoked the direct clutch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

Dlinzy

Reaction score
I have the same "Features" as others have explained... I load my tune, drive it around normally for a couple of days, then hit on it 3/4 throttle once 2nd engages, 9 times out of 10 it will shift and go just fine. That 1 time it will rev to 4500, feel like it's disengaged and wind down to about 1500 RPM then re-engage and off i go. If during this period i continue to rev the engine it will seem like it's in N and non-responsive.
I have 140K on mine Mad Turbo Works MAdMax, Warren's 175/75's and every bullet proof mod known to man.
I'm talking with Warren about their 600 hp 1200 tq tranny now which is 3800.00 and hopefully the last thing i have to do to this truck.

Denny

Dirty_Stroke

Reaction score
I have the same "Features" as others have explained... I load my tune, drive it around normally for a couple of days, then hit on it 3/4 throttle once 2nd engages, 9 times out of 10 it will shift and go just fine. That 1 time it will rev to 4500, feel like it's disengaged and wind down to about 1500 RPM then re-engage and off i go. If during this period i continue to rev the engine it will seem like it's in N and non-responsive.
I have 140K on mine Mad Turbo Works MAdMax, Warren's 175/75's and every bullet proof mod known to man.
I'm talking with Warren about their 600 hp 1200 tq tranny now which is 3800.00 and hopefully the last thing i have to do to this truck.

Denny

I paid $3800 for my Warren comp trans and was told it will hold 800+ hp. You might want to make sure your getting all the billet parts and really getting your full money's worth.

bootcamp

Reaction score
This has turn out to be a great thread, had this thread been posted or had I posted on here what happen to my stock trans it would have saved me from buying a new transmission. My stocker did the same thing, pulled out of the parking lot and nailed it, the trans didn't like it and went into a neutral position and the motor hit the rev limiter. The new trans has been in for about four months now, I was pulling away from a red light at a slow role and decided to hit the skinny pedal and it failed to shift, let out of the skinny and back in gear it went and on the road, matter of fact, the motor hit so hard it sucked in the air tender on the air filter. First time that's ever happened.

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
I havent read thru the thread yet but I have had this happen twice. Both times, the tires were spinning. I dont know if the piston hit a valve, but the engine still has power, so Im guessing no.

Reaction score
I havent read thru the thread yet but I have had this happen twice. Both times, the tires were spinning. I dont know if the piston hit a valve, but the engine still has power, so Im guessing no.

It's not only that you have to worry about. Just happened to me last week and I bent a pushrod in cylinder 3. My trans is built and it still kicks out of gear from time to time but I also drive it like a puss 93.76% of the time. One thing I've learned is that you've got to let these transmission adapt to both styles if driving.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.