Modded IDM worth it or not

chappy

Reaction score
I started out with a modded idm then after it crapped out I got a swamps modded idm with frequency mod. Both were a nice jump in power but the swamps one was definetly worth the money. I would spend the extra on a swamps idm anytime.

chappy

Reaction score
I don't know where it is in the SuperDuty... But I am sure we can figure it out :)

Sam

Its behind the fender well cover mounted to the inner fender behind your driverside f250 badge.You need to remove the harness and 2 bolts that hold the bracket. .They run vertical 10m and 8m I think or maybe all 10m.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
It's a super PITA on an SD!

Strictly SOTP based on an intake, tune, exhaust truck, I noticed more response, and a more "crisp" acceleration as well as a slight change in the exhaust note. It was nice and very worth it. Of course, mine was free, but I would have paid for it in hindsight. LOL

From what Charles told me, basically, the bigger the injector, the bigger the difference.

TARM

Reaction score
Would it have killed them to have installed it say in the cab under the dash some where. There is plenty of room. If not therre why not the firewall in the engine bay or on the fender. Talk about looking and trying to find the most out of the way PITA to get to place to install something. GRRRRRR

TURTLE

Reaction score
I believe the swamps IDM is more than just a resistor. However for less than 3 dollars it is a noticiable modification. I have been happy with it on all the trucks I have done. If you decide to do it get some guys together to buy more resistors. I also may have a link to where I got them if you can not find them.

DcMoore

Reaction score
Yes Swamps does something with the high frequency side I believe. I would like to try one of thier IDMs to see what the difference is.

Also to mod the SD 120 volt IDMs the resistor is a 73.2k 1/2 watt 1% tolerance metal film resistor, you can get them from digikey.com for a decent price. And the 110 and 100 volt IDMs use a 75k 1/2 watt 1% tolerance.

TARM

Reaction score
I would think radio shack would have them as well. That is where I have gotten my other ones to prevent the PCM from throw up a code on various sensors etc.. EBPV IAH etc..

DcMoore

Reaction score
The only ones I could find at the shack was the ones for the lower volatage IDMs.. What resistors did you use to clear those codes... I have about 11 or so soft codes I would like to clear.

TARM

Reaction score
470 ohms1/2 - 2 watt will work but Shack only carried the 1/2 watt and that is what most all people have used A pack of 5 was $1.19

The resistor for the ebpv delete will go across the plug for the ebpv solenoid at the base of the pedestal. You can bend the two tails on the resistor and push them into the connectors ports. The resistor for the aih goes from the output of the aih relay to ground. Should be the one with the blue wire. You can solder some extra wire on to each tail to allow easy connection.

I think a number of the sensors use this limit as part of confirming operation so its worth a try on otehr ones. Other wise you can monitor the resistance and go from there with a multimeter.

EBPVresistor2.jpg

Last edited:

99powerstroke

Reaction score
I have looked into both swamps and beans modded idm just can't decide on which. Does anyone have either or could tell me if there is a difference btw them?

Thanks

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I have looked into both swamps and beans modded idm just can't decide on which. Does anyone have either or could tell me if there is a difference btw them?

Thanks

Never tried Beans, but Swamps seems to be the only ones taking the modding the extra mile. The high volt and high freq. mods work pretty well together, especially with the larger injectors.

I can tell you I love mine, replace it with a stock one and the truck just runs all around different! More response, better idle, more crisp in higher RPM

RBernardi

Reaction score
i looked into the Beans and Swamps. The Beans is $100 with your shipped first, and the Swamps is $275. I havent heard any feed back on the beans, but was thinking of going with them just because money is tight right now. what do you guys think.

Zaairman

Reaction score
Hmm... I have a buddy who does cell phone repair (small soldering), might need to look into this. So it's just a resistor... and ripping out the inner fender, which will suck. What does a new IDM run?