Modification for Global Travel

neverkickn

Reaction score
Someone on here had a Mexico truck but I can't remember who. Maybe they will chime in.

shmoozer

Reaction score
Morgan had a delete pipe and Mexico tune when he first got his '15 if I'm not mistaken. Maybe he can she's some light on the situation

-KCCO-

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
How about welded axle tubes to the housing? 3 or 4 link the front with PMF or OUO. Traction bars from the same place. All oils from LE. I'd get a hold of Morgan @ Midwest, Jared@RCD and Mike @ No Limit about needed engine modifications. Maybe a larger filter before the factory set up for fuel in case you don't get good fuel. Like a extreme water separator? Heavy duty axles? Dynatrac free spin kit?

why do you suggest a free spin kit?

live life full throttle

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
why do you suggest a free spin kit?

live life full throttle

Mileage/wear and tear, just guessing

Unrelated but can you still get 6.7s with a manual transfer case?

I'm watching this one like a hawk as I love the idea of overlanding and putting an over sized diesel places people think it has no places being.

Last edited:

cbf9703

Reaction score
Just to clarify why I bring this up, imagine for a moment having something go wrong in Central America, not a single mechanic / dealer would know where to begin. Nonetheless, I'm still doing this trip in this truck, I wouldn't want to do it in any other vehicle. To add to my worries, NO one sells the service manual for our trucks, what the hell?

Not knowing where to begin is just the tip of the iceburg. Try waiting 3 months on parts from a dealer.

Having spent a decent amount of time driving in Central America... tire plugs, on-board air, battery jump box, and front end components. I don't care how much time you spend off road in the states, it does not prepare you for the sustained beating your vehicle and body can take on the roads down there. Yes, there are modern highways through Mexico and in a lot of the higher end tourist areas, but 15 mph is pushing it on the hard baked washboard white clay in the villages. At the height of the dry season there may be 3" of powder on top, it's worse than driving in snow. And the potholes.... everywhere. The "paved" roads can be a joke. I've seen some with more potholes than pavement left. But the fruit and cane trucks keep barreling down the roads and making them worse. Just remember, they drive by picking the BEST side of the road, right or left. Having said that, it can be a blast down there.

I don't know enough about the newer trucks to add much for recommendations in that regard, but it sounds like an awesome trip. Best of luck.

Sahrens0202

Reaction score
Just curious on why/how your doing this. For work of just fun? Sounds awesome!! I would definitely get a no limit intake with the pre filter as well since it will be super dusty. Do you have front or rear bull bumpers? What about winch, snatch ropes, tow straps, tire chains?. I know traction bars will cut down on ground clearance a little bit but if there is a lot of washboard roads I truly think it would be worth it to have them. Makes a huge difference in handling especially if your loaded down.

BRUTUS

Reaction score
To everybody who has thrown your opinions in the mix, thanks. I appreciate it.
I don’t spend much time on a PC, so my replies are intermittent.

@ Sahren welded axles tubes? Will look into that, never even occurred to me. Off topic, I know, but if I were to **** with the axles (we have some kick ass axles you know that, right?) I would definitely explore this: http://www.dynatrac.com/axle-assemblies/prorock-44-portal-axle.html

@ Lovin no aftermarket bumpers in mind, I don’t care to hang heavy **** off of either end. That being said, I am chopping up my stock bumper in an interesting way (I’ll post a pic once I finish it up)

Also, the ULSD I believe only affects the EPA stuff, not the engine: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...n0TysYS2nuJjnvaFsMhezuA&bvm=bv.91665533,d.cGU

@ cbf Awesome, …I enjoy reading the sort of stuff you just added.

@ Sahren as to why/how; I’m drawn to the concept of living in less colonized / standardized landscapes, but from a vantage point where I can exploit bleeding edge technology in an environment that lacks it. Nothing like flying through a place that rarely, if ever, sees a plane. Granted, that’s some **** I just put together to answer you, actually I never questioned why. As soon as I saved a few pennies, I take another sabbatical, for lack of a better word. Did it back in 07, rode a CRF450 down to Patagonia – everybody telling me how that’s the wrong bike for the application, etc… Nothing like watching the panniers on a Beemer explode, as some Euro tries to keep up on his fat over engineered bike, because he believed the brochure. Anyways, won’t be loaded down either, sleeping bags, spear guns and little else.

Keep the information coming; many of my earlier questions have yet to be flushed out and I truly want to hear about anything/everything about how we can bullet proof our rigs.

BTW, I’ve got 2 full size spares, and a mother&*(^ heavy duty floor jack… nothing cracks me up like seeing a dude with his high-lift & a truck- they may work on a Landy, but I know for a fact that they are **** for trucks. BIG heavy, floor jack is the only way I can swap tires in sand.

BRUTUS

Reaction score
I forgot to add: I just bribed a cool Mexican kid at a dealer and am now the proud owner of 2 HUGE service manuals. life is good.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Good, you found the military report. I intended to mention that to you. You should consider some better pre pump fuel conditioning. Racor or dahl comes to mind.

Sahrens0202

Reaction score
http://www.dynatrac.com/free-spin-k...4-ford-f-250-and-f-350-with-dynaloc-hubs.html
This is the kit I was talking about. Yeah, we do have good axles but the sealed wheel bearings aren't so great for bigger tires and rough terrain. Welding axle tubes is just welding the tubes to the gear housing. They are just pressed in and in a high torque situation have been known to spin. A lot of people who do sled pulling weld them. Which is also why I recommended traction bars. What size tires are you running? Are you going to have a winch? Sounds like fun for sure, keep us updated!!

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
While traction bars have their place, I dunno that you'd want them on a rig you plan to drive all over the planet. Seem to really kill breakover angle/be something to catch on the ground.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.